Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 01:42:10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
NEW Decware Amplifier (Read 20551 times)
Lon
Ex Member

Re: NEW Decware Amplifier
Reply #60 - 07/01/06 at 19:28:42

Sorry to hear about the flooding guys.

Yeah, I've been using cryo'd 6N1Ps I got from Chazz in the EL84 Monoblocks and they replaced Siemens 6DJ8s that are sweet but. . . the 6N1Ps are very balanced.  And give me better bass.

I don't know what they are. . .they aren't Sovteks and they aren't Svetlanas.

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 07/01/06 at 22:02:43

I put my 6n1p back in my amp after Steve made that post, and I have to say it's not there now.  I left it for a good week or so, with a fair amount of use so there are no burn-in issues (it also was used for the first 6 mo. or so that I had the amp).  In a certain way it sounds sweet or something, but IMO not in a way that I like.  There is sweet and better like I got by putting the PIO coupling caps in my amp, and then there is just warm and foggy that I seem to get with the 6n1p.  It is in some respects very easy to listen to, but it seems to accomplish this by sucking the life out of the music and putting a thin veil over it.  I put a few different 6dj8's back in (Amperex Bugle Boy, Mullard, Siemens 6922) and they all sound warm and clear and detailed and pleasing.  No negatives with respect to the 6n1p and quite a few positives, the life is back in the music.

Just my opinion of course.

Dave

500 ft. from the high-point in Brooklyn

« Last Edit: 07/01/06 at 22:03:12 by selmerdave »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 07/01/06 at 22:20:37

Dave,

Not all 6N1Ps are created equally.  I much prefer the sound of these I have from Chazz to the others I've tried.  I definitely preferred my Siemens to the Svetlana or Sovtek variety . . . . But then I'm using different amps to the Select as well.

Anyway, the beauty of the amps and tube tech in general is that you can find what you like by rolling.  Roll on. . . !

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 07/01/06 at 22:35:43

I agree, and I'm not saying that others will necessarily prefer what I prefer.  But I guess I was making the comparison based on Steve's comment with regard to the 6n1p supplied stock with the Zen amp.

And I'm certainly not saying he's wrong, just that I'm one person that doesn't agree.

Dave

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 07/01/06 at 23:25:21

Ah Dave, I knew you weren't calling Steve a BIG FAT LIAR!

That is someone else's job! Wink

IP Logged
sh1232
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 07/02/06 at 13:46:39

Sad I LOVE the laid back position of my C.  Admittedly, I have had decent rooms to put the system so far.  I will miss it, when my wife lets me upgrade.

SH

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1150659727/45#54 date=1150940275]In an effort to further improve the sonics the bias switch has been eliminated.  The tube is now biased exactly inbetween the two original settings of the prior model. So far I believe this was a wise decision, time will tell. [/quote]

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 07/02/06 at 15:41:00

Agreed:  Laid back is the best position on the Select that I loved for so many years. . . FOR ME.  I think I could live happily (and tube roll) with a position halfway towards aggressive, but not the forward/aggressive position.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 07/02/06 at 17:15:27

I also almost never use the aggressive bias, but also prefer the laid back position. The rare occasion for using the high bias position has been when listening really really late at night, and everything is turned down to a vanishingly low volume. Extreme low volume listening can be a smidgen better in the high bias position once in a great while. It's still not a favorite sound, though, and wouldn't be missed.

If ordering the select in the newest chassis, I'd probably call and have the bias customized to the original laid back setting. For me it would be a speaker issue, as my 98's are already very live and up front enough as it is, and benefit from the current low bias position.

Back to the 6n1p for a driver in the select. I recently acquired a cryoed version of the military type 6n1p. Having used the exact same tube before cryoing, it seems a great deal better. It still surprises me this cryo thing would make such an obvious positive difference. It still doesn't quite beat the BB 6dj8, but I could live with it. Somehow, the 6dj8 has better mid range texture, especially with piano recordings, but going to keep the 6n1p in place to burn in for another week or two of evaluation.

Karl

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 07/02/06 at 17:58:40

Hey Karl, I found MY cryo'd 6N1Ps to take a LONG time to burn in.  Seems weird, but yeah, give it some time and I think it will bloom. . . .

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 07/02/06 at 18:13:30

Thnx Lon,

On your advice it seems like a good idea to leave the 6n1p in for a bit longer without rolling, and see what happens after maybe a month or so. The cryoed 6n1p is certainly encouraging me to give it a try as it's a lot more vivid sounding. It sounds "basically" the same, but in its uncryoed state was definitely hazier; using the BB 6dj8 as reference. We'll see???

Karl

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 07/03/06 at 12:24:10

Did you guys notice a drop in bass with the 6N1P? Mine was very noticeable - not only a drop in bass but it seemed it was pushed "back" in the mix as well. Weird... I left it in for awhile (a few weeks) but popped it out and went with a mid-70's JAN/Sylvania 6DJ8 I haven't listened to in quite some time. I'm liking this better.  :) Worth experimenting with it though.

« Last Edit: 07/03/06 at 12:25:39 by rayd »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 07/03/06 at 12:35:26

To the contrary, I get the best bass with this 6N1P.  The Svetlana 6NiP was very light on the bass, the Sovtek had bass but the highs were rougher; this cryo'd military 6N1P is just right.  (For me and my monoblocks).

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 07/03/06 at 14:34:27

Don't think I noticed any difference in the bass.

Dave

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #73 - 07/03/06 at 17:18:17

[quote author=Lon  link=1150659727/60#71 date=1151926526]To the contrary, I get the best bass with this 6N1P.  The Svetlana 6NiP was very light on the bass, the Sovtek had bass but the highs were rougher; this cryo'd military 6N1P is just right.  (For me and my monoblocks). [/quote]

I wrote an article on tubes that I'm still deciding if I will publish... probably will...  One of the points it tries to get accross is that we worry too much about brands without realizing the same brand tube can sound differernt from batch to batch.

ALL SV83/6P15P output tubes AND all 6N1P signal tubes that we find were made by a Factory in Russia called REFLEKTOR around 1986.

There were two basic flavors of the 6N1P, one was a milspec version with plated pins, one was not.  Both are good.  Sovtek, and Svetlana are marketing names painted on these tubes.  There is no difference between them.  In other words, they are the same tube.  We have been buying ours  directly from Russia so they carry no fancy name painted on the glass, only the original Reflektor logo.

So when you read that the exact same tube sounds different because one has Sovtek painted on the glass and the other has Svetlana you have to wonder how this is possible.  I mean if you need more bass just scrape off the paint that says Svetlana and replace it with paint that says Sovtek I guess...

No I'm not picking on Lon, I'm just setting things up for the article I plan to publish since it offers some possible explinations for just this type of thing.

WWW   IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 07/03/06 at 17:57:42

Quote:
I mean if you need more bass just scrape off the paint that says Svetlana and replace it with paint that says Sovtek I guess...

If this works I will repaint all mine to say Mullard...... Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print