Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/20/14 at 05:56:39

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
NEW Decware Amplifier (Read 19676 times)
rayd
Ex Member

Re: NEW Decware Amplifier
Reply #30 - 06/08/06 at 21:29:19

Steve, thanks for re-emphasizing the 61NP. This has been a "forgotten" tube in my rotation. I just got home from work and popped it in (a Sovtek). Man, you are right! This tube has warmed and lushed things up notch. I really like it so far. Amp is not even warmed up yet †:D

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Ray

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 06/08/06 at 21:32:37

Yes, I've been enjoying cryo'd 6N1Ps I got from Chazz for probably a year now.  For digital, this is the way to go for me.  Now for analog tape, I like me some 6922s in the EL34 Monoblocks.

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/08/06 at 23:17:52

Ok, so I blew an EL84 today. An old Mullard, got all distorted and raspy - sad.

So due to this thread I got out the stock assortment of tubes, Ruby rectifier, SV83ís and a Sovtek 6N1P.

Iíll listen like this for a while, few weeks maybe.

First impression is, itís more upfront in the midrange and has a sharp(er) edge.
Lush and warm? Thatís not what Iím hearing. The bass got lighter and/or thinner. And it got somewhat brighter. None of which is a bad thing. I like the change and like I said, Iíll listen like this for a while or for as long as I can.

I also put the stock tube back in my Scott Nixon too.

Hell, Maybe I should put the stock tubes back in my preamp too!

For reference: I was using a Mullard GZ32 rectifier, Mullard (Blackburn) EL84ís, Amprex 6922 PQ white label.  

« Last Edit: 06/08/06 at 23:22:37 by bo »  
  IP Logged
charlieboy
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/08/06 at 23:37:13

[quote author=boead  link=1149544554/30#32 date=1149805072]

For reference: I was using a Mullard GZ32 rectifier, Mullard (Blackburn) EL84ís, Amprex 6922 PQ white label.  
[/quote]

That's a pretty nice lineup!
Grin

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 06/08/06 at 23:56:37

[quote author=boead  link=1149544554/30#32 date=1149805072]
So due to this thread I got out the stock assortment of tubes, Ruby rectifier, SV83ís and a Sovtek 6N1P.

Iíll listen like this for a while, few weeks maybe.
First impression is, itís more upfront in the midrange and has a sharp(er) edge.
Lush and warm? Thatís not what Iím hearing. The bass got lighter and/or thinner.
[/quote]

Boead, my impression was similar on the bass - not so much lighter, but more like he stepped back a bit behind the band (or was buried deeper in the mix). On the plus side, imaging has improved and is more "locked" in and not "floaty" Smiley I'm using a cryoed NOS Raytheon "Uniline" 5U4GB.

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 06/09/06 at 01:19:08

[quote author=rayd  link=1149544554/30#34 date=1149807397]

Boead, my impression was similar on the bass - not so much lighter, but more like he stepped back a bit behind the band (or was buried deeper in the mix). On the plus side, imaging has improved and is more "locked" in and not "floaty" Smiley I'm using a cryoed NOS Raytheon "Uniline" 5U4GB. [/quote]
Its been just a couple of CDís and Iím not doing so well but in all fairness, Iíve been listening to my Select my way for along time and Iíve gotten use to it.
Rock benefits from the stock tubes, very lively!

I usually like my Jazz more laid back, but some instruments really do shine through. I may leave the SV83ís and 6N1P for a while but change the rectifier. Any suggestions or just grin and bear it?

I just went through my tube stash. Unlike others, I donít keep a ton of stuff. I sell what Iím not using and donít really want. About a year ago I sold off most of my tubes and just kept what I liked and what I though I might want. As well as lots of 'stock' tubes for gear I still have.

ē Ruby 5U4G (one unused from Steve about 2 years ago and the other the original one that came with the Select with the bass notched out)
ē RCA 5U4GB (orange lettering with black base, USA)
ē RCA 5V4G ST bottle (sm.), very nice looking with black base, USA.
ē RCA branded GZ32 made in Great Britain (R XXM1), sm. shoulder bottle.
ē Valve Electronics CV593 (GZ32 March 1967)
ē RCA 5U4G large ST bottle with black base, USA.

ē 6922 Ė pair of Amprex PQ white label, USA.
ē 6DJ8 Ė pair Amprex Bugle Boy, Holland (white)
ē 6DJ8 Ė Mullard, Blackburn short grey plates (classic white)
ē 6922 Ė Sovtek from a few years ago.
ē 6N1P - Sovtek from Steve two years ago.

ē EL84 Ė Mullard Blackburn classic 60ís. (I have 3 or 4 left)
ē EL84 EiElites (early 1990ís, pre war. (have 7 left)
ē SV83 Ė Svetlana, 2 are new from Steve two years ago. 4 are much older, two say 1994 on them.

I also have three awesome and rare Telefunken 12AX7ís, GAP/R computer long smooth plates. I really need to sell them.

I also have two Bugle Boy 12AX7ís with long ribbed grey plates which are maybe the best 12AX7 made in my opinion.

« Last Edit: 06/09/06 at 02:27:34 by bo »  
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 06/09/06 at 02:49:14

Those of you who STILL haven't tried the military sv83 (6n15n-EB) are truly missing something special. They knock the socks off anything else in my CS, with the cryoed version being the topper. YMMV, of course.

I have an untried cryoed 6n1p to swap with the BB 6dj8 I've grown accustomed to in my CS. Will report soon.

Karl

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 06/09/06 at 12:18:54

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1149544554/30#36 date=1149817754]Those of you who STILL haven't tried the military sv83 (6n15n-EB) are truly missing something special. They knock the socks off anything else in my CS, with the cryoed version being the topper. YMMV, of course.

I have an untried cryoed 6n1p to swap with the BB 6dj8 I've grown accustomed to in my CS. Will report soon.

Karl [/quote]

This site http://www.gstube.com has the 6n15n-EB for $5.50 each.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 06/09/06 at 12:50:42

You're making me wish I had something to put it in! Wink

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 06/09/06 at 15:40:28

[quote author=Lon  link=1149544554/30#38 date=1149853842]You're making me wish I had something to put it in! Wink [/quote]

I don't have to tell you that's a loaded line  :)

Karl

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 06/09/06 at 16:15:17

Yes, as soon as I wrote it I realize how loaded that is. . . .

Wink

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 06/09/06 at 16:53:56

[quote author=boead  link=1149544554/30#37 date=1149851934]

This site http://www.gstube.com has the 6n15n-EB for $5.50 each.
[/quote]

Shipped direct from Russia, minimum order is $200.

Steve D., do you have these tubes?

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 06/09/06 at 17:32:32

Absolutely; the 6n15n-EB (the EB is seen as EV in the catalog, which is the same) are available from the Decware catalog. If I'm not mistaken, the newest CS amps ship with them.

If you can get a pair cryoed for comparison, the difference is completely surprising. Cryoed or uncryoed, it's an awesome tube, and is absolutely superior to the more lightly built "Svetlana" branded SV83 (imho).

Karl

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 06/09/06 at 18:21:11

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1149544554/30#42 date=1149870752]Absolutely; the 6n15n-EB (the EB is seen as EV in the catalog, which is the same) are available from the Decware catalog. If I'm not mistaken, the newest CS amps ship with them.

If you can get a pair cryoed for comparison, the difference is completely surprising. Cryoed or uncryoed, it's an awesome tube, and is absolutely superior to the more lightly built "Svetlana" branded SV83 (imho).

Karl [/quote]

When seeing these tubes listed on a couple of different websites, there is an order number difference between the 6n15n-EB and the 6n15n-EV. Steve lists only the EV on his site and as replacement tubes for his components. They are not one in the same from what I gather.

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 06/09/06 at 18:27:24

Iíve been working mostly at home these last few days. Good news has been being able to listen to hours upon hours of music without anyone home most of the day. I logged in a few dozen hours this week so far. Sweet Joy!

The stock tube assortment quickly grew on me. For Rock, Folk Rock, Pop or anything with a hard driving beat the tubes make the system nicely dynamic, fast(er) and a bit louder. Definitely not bright but certainly brighter then it was or at least more forward. NO shrill at all and not at all harsh or edgy. Clean, and transparent with a nice sparkle.
The Eddie Vaughn mods and Steveís final touches gave the amp a somewhat wider and deeper soundstage with more focus and micro detail, at least that was what the mods were intended to do. Eddie remembers the amp being very fast and detailed; he agreed that it was a good compliment to an all Mullard tube assortment which I used in the amp for some time after I got it back. It only went to Steve D. for a socket replacement which it desperately needed after bouts of mods and tube rolling.  He also made a few minor revisions to quiet it up a bit and calm it down a touch for me. It was on steroids and caffeine, poor thing. Steve gave it a couple of ludes and sent her on her way back home.

You really canít say anything bad about how it sounds wit the stock tubes. It does everything well, nicely refined and the price? Forgetaboutit! As usual, the Zen is worth many times its selling price and has the ability to alter its sound to taste with tube and cables rolls. Thatís key for any amp. Some designers make it a STRONG point to say that there circuit isn't susceptible to tube and cable rolls due to ultra low impedance and other techniques. To some extent thatís not such a good thing, means you are more forced with the sound you got and if you donít like it, you canít do much about it except sell the amp and try another one.

Of the tube rectifiers I have listed above, what sound most like the Ruby?

« Last Edit: 06/09/06 at 19:43:50 by bo »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print