Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 06:08:35

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Splitting shared cathode resistor (Read 1049 times)
Groucho
Ex Member

Splitting shared cathode resistor
06/11/06 at 23:53:12

Does anyone here have experience with swapping the el84's shared cathode resistor for two separate resistors, one for each tube (=channel)? I'm mostly interested in the sonic difference; aka is the shared cathode resistor a magic trick or a cost-cutting measure? The only info I have been able to find is that shared cathode resistors make the soundstage wider; the obvious flaw would be worse channel separation...

Cheers,

Simon

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Re: Splitting shared cathode resistor
Reply #1 - 06/12/06 at 12:36:15

Not sure Simon.  I think it is worth remembering that more channel separation is not necessarily better, vinyl has comparitively low channel separation and the "lucid" mode of the Taboo does what it does by some mixing of signals between channels (if I understand correctly).  I think it's one of those stats that doesn't have a lot of relevance to listening.

Dave

IP Logged
Groucho
Ex Member

Re: Splitting shared cathode resistor
Reply #2 - 06/12/06 at 14:18:51

You may be right. I don't have a zen but a homebuilt el84 amp with the same output stage, dual mono ps and e80cc driver. For now I have the shared cathode resistor and the imaging is exceptional; I'll have to do some soldering and listening myself to hear the sonic effects of the cathode resistor. I'll post my findings here for all the shared cathode Zen-owners.

Simon

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print