Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 19:43:04

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
wo for 12s a lil help please. (Read 8365 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: wo for 12s a lil help please.
Reply #30 - 06/12/06 at 23:43:58

anyone ever tried a 12" housewrecker in a car? my car being a toyota previa 7 seater mini van.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 06/13/06 at 01:03:25

Now there is one I never tried lol. I did do an unconventional tqwt for 4 18s in an astro once that was unbearable lol.
I have done compound band pass enclosures for 12s that were similar to the HW, but I have never done the actual box. Anyone else?

Oh I forgot what kind of vehicle you said. Hmmmmm
12s you say? Must.....get.......notes....................

Oy Vey! I remember now! I have a (albeit very large) bandpass design for 3 12" subs that was pretty awesome. I also did a larger vented box for 2 12s that had surprisingly flat response while setting several SPL records at NOPI (156db w/ 2000 watts or so in a 4d blazer) and a few other comps in the area around the beach. That one I am sure I could draw up again and I know it would get off in a van. Hmmmm the gears are turning again lol.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/13/06 at 01:13:02

im no spl guy, im a sq with as much L as possible Wink

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/13/06 at 01:20:25

LOL
It's been a long time. It was way too easy to get caught up trying to make things louder. Considering the vehicle, I would seriously say do the WO. It is much faster and more "real" sounding than any other BP enclosure I have used and I feel certain that you will be able to play with it's placement to get the tone and punch you are looking for. The mods would be relative and I think it would perform very well for you. If you are looking for more SQ than even the WO, I would consider a compression design. I built a very cool and easy design a long time ago that was very solid, but unfortunately it was not very nice to my woofers. The sound was as good as anything I have built, but my woofers disentigrated after a few months of pounding on them. If you like, I can find the measurements on that thing for you too just to kick around.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 06/13/06 at 05:08:00

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1149820011/30#33 date=1150158025]LOL
It's been a long time. It was way too easy to get caught up trying to make things louder. Considering the vehicle, I would seriously say do the WO. It is much faster and more "real" sounding than any other BP enclosure I have used and I feel certain that you will be able to play with it's placement to get the tone and punch you are looking for. The mods would be relative and I think it would perform very well for you. If you are looking for more SQ than even the WO, I would consider a compression design. I built a very cool and easy design a long time ago that was very solid, but unfortunately it was not very nice to my woofers. The sound was as good as anything I have built, but my woofers disentigrated after a few months of pounding on them. If you like, I can find the measurements on that thing for you too just to kick around. [/quote]

compression!??, now your talkin bout the death box right?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 06/13/06 at 10:43:31

Um Well, Not exactly,
This was a quick idea we had a long time ago for 3 tens that got transferred to 2 12". It was really easy to build and it blew our minds at how accurate it was. Unfortunately the upper woofers seemed to suffer cone failure and exploded a few times. Nonetheless, I was shocked at how smooth and accurate (and at the same time LOUD) this box was in car.
Here is a really quick sketch.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 06/13/06 at 12:58:43

looks interesting  ???

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 06/13/06 at 13:01:52

i wonder if it was built wide rather than long , if it would save woofers?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 06/13/06 at 13:47:39

In all reality, there was no engineering in that enclosure. It was just an idea that we acted on and afterwards were surprised with the reusults. If anybody would like to model it and see what the numbers look like it was pretty simple.
The enclosure for 12s was 14 inches wide x 12 inches tall and 32 inches long. The opening is 2" and the sides are symmetrical. (The board is 2" from the bottom at the opposite end from the opening. Simple, quick and surprisingly good sounding. Scrap wood and scrap woofers turned into loading 18 10" woofers in a crx lol.
6 boxes stacked with 3 10" in each lol.

Robert

IP Logged
Hellion
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 10/14/06 at 06:56:45

Just curious... would a single high watt high excursion 12" work with

Or does it require two drivers?

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 06:57:54 by Hellion »  
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 10/15/06 at 03:08:48

It worked pretty awesome with a single 10' high excursion driver. I don't remember the dimensions off hand.
I will sit down monday and draw it up for you. I think I can remember how this one worked lol. I won't promise that the woofer will stay together under extreme power though. We did have some explosions with this thing, LOL.

Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 10/16/06 at 15:30:48

what if a guy keeped the drivers at the bottem of the box if it would keep from killine the sub?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 10/16/06 at 16:24:08

I don't think it would be an issue with only one driver. The biggest problems we had were when we went to three drivers. My belief is that the subs were fighting each other to compress the air in front and behind at different rates because of the taper. It sounded great and produced massive SPL for a small enclosure, but the woofer that always blew was the one at the back of the enclosure.
The cone actually disentigrated in a few of these.

Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 10/16/06 at 17:27:14

i was speaking or the multi diver setup you had spoke of ^^^

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print