Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 21:16:25

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Preliminary evaluation: TORII MKII (Read 32101 times)
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Re: Preliminary evaluation: TORII MKII
Reply #30 - 03/26/06 at 17:02:29

Now for the special prize:

The O.E.M. Mullard CV593/GZ32 rectifiers.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 14:57:28 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/26/06 at 17:16:16

The new tubes in place with the JJ KT77, GZ32, Ei Elites in operation:

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:05:27 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 03/26/06 at 17:20:40

Another view with a lighter wide view.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:06:18 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/29/06 at 14:55:45

RFZ, you're killing me here!!!  I can't wait until I can put my order in for one of those bad boys!!!  :'(

I keep telling myself... Patience, patience, patience.  But, I want it right now!!!

Glad to here you are really enjoying this fine looking piece.

Anyway, keep up the reviews and updates as I know this will be invaluable when I do get mine.

Back to work,

Terry

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 03/29/06 at 16:02:52

Am I supposed to be seeing pictures with these posts?

Dave

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/29/06 at 19:25:26

Dave, I have the same trouble but you can get around it by right clicking on the little red x and select properties, highlight and copy the address and past it on the address line of your viewer and hit go.  Silly thing, when you hit the back button, now the picture will appear in this post.  At least on mine...

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 03/29/06 at 20:12:50

Ya know I ended up doing the same thing. weird eh?

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 03/30/06 at 04:19:16

Hello Terry,

Just remember, patience is a virtue! As the song goes: Anticipation Keeps Me Waiting" and the TORII MK2 is worth every second of it as the rewards are incredible! I hope that you get yours very soon. Just remember, the build turnaround is about six weeks so that gives you extra time to get your funds gathered by the time it is ready and you are not charged until the amp is ready to ship.

Do not mean to antagonize you but maybe my input will help you to make a more "informed" or at the least "suggested" purchase.

Yes, I am enjoying my amp along with the rest of the system to an extent that is difficult to describe. I will be taking my time evaluating this amp with multiple combinations of tube choices and comparing with the well familiar SV83 monoblocks. Those amps will undergo tube upgrades as well to keep the comparison tests within perspective. I just received today, twelve each matched and balanced Ei Elite gold pin EL84's which gives me two full sets of output tubes for these amps. I also received two more sets of Ei Elite gold pin 6DJ8EG driver tubes. These will go into the monoblocks as well. A pair of N.O.S. gold pin Amperex 6922s is also in the works. Multiple variations of N.O.S. rectifiers will also be interchanged on these. I have a matched trio of 1964 vintage Amperex 12AX7's on the way for the phono stage to be compared against the Ei Elites. For the SACD tube output stage, I have acquired a bulk set of very fine "used" old stock 12AU7's and a couple of 12AT7's to test the signature of different brands *( 31 tubes total). This set has a mixture of RCA, G.E. Sylvania, etc.. and I am bound to find some select tubes here that will tailor the sound to my fullest satisfaction. I have a N.O.S. variety of quality rectifiers to include RCA, G.E., and Sylvania versions of the 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5Y3GT, plus some others. I should have a very diverse range of choice here and the results should be interesting. When it is all done and over, I shall have plenty of quality tube surpluses to fall back on.

My evaluation tubes are just starting to filter in, it will take a fair amount of time to compare these tube variations so sit back, and you will soon read about my experience when I feel ready to post my thoughts about this.

Hope that I can provide some interesting and useful suggestions stemming directly from my perspective with the amps I have. Oh and yes, I do plan on incorporating some "HALO" tube dampers to further enhance the sound of these tubes.

Later.

Paul

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/31/06 at 17:37:50

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your comments.  This patience thing for the most part has been poverty driven thanks in part to a spendthrift now ex-wife.  With that though, they also say that things happen for a reason.  Now it looks like as Decware has matured over these last ten years I'll be able to have an all matching compliment of components with the new chassis design being implemented these next few months.

It's really exciting now knowing exactly what I want for my personal rig and it's even better listening to people like yourself that have such good things to say about it.

Right now it's a bit of a trial as I work for an accounting firm, (just a little crazy at the moment!!!) and fighting the urge to rush the finishing touches on the house and property to get that ready for market.

But, in the mean time, who knows what's next on the Decware burner...  

Terry

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/03/06 at 03:42:19

Here are some of the tube selections that will be evaluated.

I purchased this bulk set of 12AU7's with two 12AT7's which are all premium old stock for the mere price of $1.00 each!

The majority of these are labeled "made for Hewlett Packard by RCA". The rest are a variety of Sylvania,General Electric, one made in Japan (Dynascan). These are all in excellent condition with years of life left in them. I have tested many of them and they sound superb! The two enlarged photos are what I consider to be the pick of the litter. These are clear top 12AU7's. The left photo is a G.E. with dual side getters and the one on the right is a RCA. This RCA tube alone is worth more than what I paid for the whole set!

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:10:13 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/03/06 at 03:49:17

Here are my select picks that made the purchase very worthwhile.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:11:11 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 04/03/06 at 03:56:45

Everyone should have a few of these lying around as surplus.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:12:01 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 04/03/06 at 04:01:54

This is a set of N.O.S. 5Y3GT rectifiers to be evaluated.

I have listened to these in the TORII MK2 for a few hours and I like what I hear.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:13:15 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 04/03/06 at 04:18:09

This is a very nice set of N.O.S. RCA 5U4GB types.I have listened to these in the TORII MK2 and I am currently evaluating them in the SV83M-DC Monoblocks. See photo below with these installed.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:23:42 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 04/03/06 at 04:27:38

Here are the RCA 5U4GB rectifiers along with a matched and balanced set of Ei Elite gold pin EL84EG output tubes and a Ei Elite gold pin 6DJ8EG driver. Of course these are the old monoblocks.

« Last Edit: 10/14/06 at 15:14:49 by RFZ_Quest »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print