Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 04:11:09

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Oh boy.... I really started something..... (Read 11982 times)
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Re: Oh boy.... I really started something.....
Reply #30 - 05/25/06 at 13:16:11

Thanks J_Rock, that made sense.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 05/25/06 at 15:49:57

Now that the SO is part of the regular Decware lineup and plans are available, the SO has become a viable alternative to the average subwoofer.  For my needs the regular imperial just does not go low enough.

I was really hoping for some white papers with real world numbers, like the deathbox, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen that way.  Anyway, Steve's assertion is that there is no attenuation from 80 hz down to 20, and I believe him but his setup is much different than most people would have.  His is measured with 2 SO's, mouth to mouth, sitting on a huge bass trap, and as far as I know we still have no figure whatsoever with regards to sensitivity.  If I am wrong about Steve's setup or measurements, I apologize.

Regardless, this thing is going to play low enough that it should leave nothing at all to be desired with music playback.

Home theatre is a different story, and it would seem that the SO is sitting on the borderline to being adequately low enough for HT as well, depending on personal taste.

I'm not sure when the plans were posted, but they've been there at least a few hours now.  Most people don't have the plans, myself included, but in the spirit of "illogical ideas and concepts" it may be time to start modding the best Decware product to date.

It would seem to me that changing the horn flare could substantially lower the tuning.  By making the flare a bit longer, and the expansion rate a bit less aggressive, the horn flare tuning could probably safely be lowered at least a few hz, the drawback being a bit of ripple in the upper part of it's frequency response.

Since the SO is already playing much lower than the horn tuning would suggest I am not sure exactly what effect this mod would have, and without plans I'm not sure if Steve hasn't already changed the horn flare a bit.

The point is this.  I wouldn't be me if I wasn't throwing around "illogical" and probably downright stupid ideas, but if there is any chance at all that a horn this size could extend FLAT down to 15 hz....

well that would be like a Christmas miracle and I can already imagine the made for tv after school specials, lol.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/25/06 at 17:15:33

[quote author=bassboy  link=1148275933/30#31 date=1148568597] but if there is any chance at all that a horn this size could extend FLAT down to 15 hz....
[/quote]

I'd be first in line for the plans. YEA BABY....  ;D

Bob

IP Logged
VexorgTR
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/25/06 at 17:30:47

Aren't the SO plans up now?   I remember reading them.....

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/25/06 at 17:48:07

They were added very recently.  I'm not sure exactly when, as I have not been checking because I have no intention to make one anytime soon.  They won't fit into my room unless I rip a big hole in the wall.

Various people have been begging, pleading, whining and generally waiting for these plans for a LONG time now.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/25/06 at 17:54:48

[quote author=bassboy  link=1148275933/30#34 date=1148575687]They won't fit into my room unless I rip a big hole in the wall. [/quote]
I'd be grabbin for a beer and a sledge.

« Last Edit: 05/25/06 at 17:54:58 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/25/06 at 18:38:19

I was refering to the "flat to 15hz" part. I've seen no white papers on the SO Imperial, and have heard no "promises" yet.
But didn't think it had that capability.

Bob

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/25/06 at 18:49:38

Regarding a sine sweep at last Decfest, Steve has stated that there is no attenuation from 80 - 20 in his listening environment.  That's the closest thing to a published fact that I have seen yet.  That alone makes it the lowest tuned horn of it's size I have ever seen.  If it can do this with anywhere near the sensitivity of the original version, it is very probably the best cornerhorn design IN THE WORLD to date.  (The 15 hz part is just speculation based on horn theory and possible mods to the design, Steve has never insinuated that the SO is capable of 15 hz flat.)

I'm just wondering what it could be capable of with a few minor changes but the overall same size.

« Last Edit: 05/25/06 at 18:54:11 by bassboy »  
  IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/25/06 at 18:54:56

Ask Randy in Caintuck to run some tests for us in his room. Grin

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 05/25/06 at 19:05:54

Randy probably does not have the necessary equipment to perform these tests.  I have a feeling his taste for music is based more on emotion and perception than hard numbers anyway.  Not to mention that results will vary wildly in different environments.

Randy is not the only one that has been living with SO's, but strangely enough, no one with the necessary experience seems very willing to discuss the merits of the first breakthrough in horn technology in 50 years.

« Last Edit: 05/25/06 at 19:08:02 by bassboy »  
  IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 05/25/06 at 19:30:05

[quote author=bassboy  link=1148275933/30#39 date=1148580354] but strangely enough, no one with the necessary experience seems very willing to discuss the merits of the first breakthrough in horn technology in 50 years. [/quote]

Kinda like everytime someone invents an engine that runs on water, they mysteriously die.  ???

Bob

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 05/25/06 at 19:39:12

I've got some sketchy plans to make your car run on water....

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 05/25/06 at 20:22:13

Been nice knowing ya Jet....   Smiley

Bob

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 05/25/06 at 21:02:21

LOL

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 05/26/06 at 04:29:05

[quote author=bassboy  link=1148275933/30#39 date=1148580354]Randy probably does not have the necessary equipment to perform these tests.  I have a feeling his taste for music is based more on emotion and perception than hard numbers anyway.  Not to mention that results will vary wildly in different environments.

[/quote]

It's true ..... every word ..... ???

I don't even have an SPL meter ..... Roll Eyes

If it sounds like music and floats my boat, I'm a happy camper ..... Smiley

However, if someone would like to make a trip to Caintuck and bring the needed equipment, they are welcome.

Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print