Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/25/14 at 07:18:06

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for Decware pre (Read 2056 times)
charlieboy
Ex Member

Looking for Decware pre
05/19/06 at 01:01:35

Well I'm trying to start up my system again. I had the Decware ZTPRE wich I loved but I had to raise some money and sold about  80% of my system. Most of you know why from myprevious threads. Cry
Anyway I would like to get one of the lower model preamps. I really only need 1 input and one output. I will be using a TT into my Jarrah phono stage then to a Decware pre. If anyone has one or see's one a a good price please let me know. Thank's everyone.

Charlie

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: Looking for Decware pre
Reply #1 - 05/19/06 at 02:41:36

Charlie,

Other than the phono stage, what were you able to hold on to?

If you need a power amp along with a preamp, have you thought about DIY?  An "El Cheapo", especially with better O/P "iron", would kill 2 birds with 1 stone at reasonable cost.

OTOH, if you already have a power amp, what sort of gain does the Jarrah have?  If your cart./Jarrah combo produces about the same voltage as a CDP, a ZSLA-1 could meet your needs.

IP Logged
charlieboy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/19/06 at 02:48:03

I'll check my specs sheet and get back in a few. Thanks.

IP Logged
charlieboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/06 at 03:10:23

The specs say 500mv out at 10ohms or higher on the Jarrah. I  was able to keep a couple pair of monoblocks so I'm ok there for now.

« Last Edit: 05/19/06 at 03:10:40 by charlieboy »  
  IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/06 at 22:26:15

Charlie,

It looks like the Jarrah has approx. 40 dB. of gain (a very reasonable number).  You need a line stage with a LITTLE gain.  The near unity gain ZSLA-1 is ruled out.  A SE84CSP looks like it will get the job done for you.

If DIY is a possibility, search the audionut sites for 12B4 based circuits.

IP Logged
9anda1f
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/06 at 00:40:21

Charlie,  would a Cary/AES AE-3 do?  $400 on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1153076055

9anda1f

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/20/06 at 04:07:08

Perhaps as upgraditus sets in with the newer version of the CSP with the new chassis sets in, some "older" CSP's will be more available on audiogon.

I can't believe how much it's possible to just forget about the CSP compared to other line level pre's I've had. It's not especially the so called audiophile transparence, but the sheer musicality of it. I've been a little reluctant to change out the coupling caps for the latest boutique caps as to really enjoying how it is "now."

All I really need is the livest possible sound with the least listening fatigue, with the equipment disappearing as a concern.

The community of talking about these things is quite fun, and yes I enjoy very much that part on the forum here; but in the end, I don't listen to equipment.

Get thee a CSP (if thou wilst).

Sorry Charlie, about the deconstruction of your system, and accompanying discomfort!

Cheers,
Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print