Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 12:19:06

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Finally, some action... (Read 16921 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Finally, some action...
05/17/06 at 12:57:21

i've had my mind set on building a db-10 out of 1inch mdf.
what the heck, someone built the wo out of 1inch mdf, the db10 needs something similar.
today i visited the shop where i bought the particle board for my first db build and they have 1inch mdf, but only on order...1 day waiting time Cheesy
i plan on taking my time, although they deliver the panels pre-cut to the sizes i want. good glue, good screws, lots of patience. no silicone this time. i'll probably use wood glue mixed with mdf dust for the seams. i want to put a plexiglass top lid and paint the inside of the box... Cheesy i wonder how thick should the plexi be ?
i'm working out the maths today. i plan on keeping the actuall baffle the same size and keeping the same distance from the face of the woofer to the panel with the 45 deg cut (panel F).
that should decrease the  volume the vented part of the box. something like mounting with magnet in vented, but i don't think 1/4" thicker would decrease the volume by much , so thicker material won't hurt. no panel flex this time. HARDCORE db10.
if the shop delivers the panels friday, i'll probably start working on sunday. this will be a weekend project, since i'm in the last month of the school year.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Finally, some action...
Reply #1 - 05/18/06 at 02:23:37

hopefully you will have a new amp (thanks 2 jet) to power the 'improved' deathbox?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/06 at 02:54:16

don't use wood glue mixed with MDF dust for the Seems.
use a gorilla glue or liqued nails instead.
unless its really compressed it will be week.

The plexiglass lid should be okay at 5/8 mimimum at the size. anything over is better of course,if your going with 1" MDF you may as well use 1" plexi if you can get it.
use a very sharp drill with a weak pitch to prevent cracking and go slow to prevent melting

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/06 at 13:14:31

jet added me in his Y! messenger list...
if i won't find him there, i'll surely find him here..
gex, i've planned about using 1" plexi. now i just have to find it.
i oredered panels to make me ping-pong table. but the whole db and table didn't fit into one mdf board. i had to give up the panel on the top lid with the cutout. anyway, i ordered the top lid, just in case i won't find plexi.
mdf will be here tomorrow. i'll start work asap. with pics this time Cheesy
i still have to find glue...i'm going today to the depot, to check out some glues. friggin glue, i don't know i can find liquid nails or gorrila glue over here. is liquid nails something like a nicely flowing glue ?

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/06 at 14:47:27

Here you go Adrian. Not sure the policies regarding online ordering overseas, I wouldn't think It'd be a problem though.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?Cat_ID=545&DID=6&ObjectGroup_Id=217&fi...

Here's the main site for GorillaGlue, click "order online".

http://www.gorillaglue.com/gluefinder.htm#

Hope this helps,
Bob

p.s. I didn't know they had Gorilla Tape too...... hmmm sealing plexi with tape might be better than the glue, since the glue expands. The expanding may be just uncontrolable enough it might not look pretty.
Actually the tape may expand too?  ???

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/06 at 15:09:22

I would use wood glue to join the MDF since it is made out of wood.  Then to join the PLexi to MDF, I would rabbit a slot for the plexi to slide into, and fill it with epoxy.  SLide the plexi in and your done.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/18/06 at 15:42:11

You Got PM, duder.

I would pre-drill/counter-sink holes in the Plexi, then use weather stripping and screw the plexi into the wood. Another method I've used, but isn't as pretty, is the same pre-drill/counter-sink, but put a bead of silicone sealant on the wood and let dry, then screw the plexiglass down cinching the silicone and sealing it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/18/06 at 16:35:38

i'll have to ask about plexi tomorrow.
if i manage to find plexi (and at an affordable price) i'll use some kind of sealing tape.
my dad said he knows someone who worked with wood al his life, and has wood glue, the one made out of bones  :-*
i also have to talk to a guy that has a router, to round-over the halfmoon.
thanks Bob, but such a small pack can get 'lost' during shipping. guess i'll have to stick with that wood glue made out of bones  :-* Kiss

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/23/06 at 00:32:25

ebay has 1" plexy.......

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/23/06 at 04:44:48

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1147870641/0#7 date=1147966538]i'll have to ask about plexi tomorrow.
if i manage to find plexi (and at an affordable price) i'll use some kind of sealing tape.
my dad said he knows someone who worked with wood al his life, and has wood glue, the one made out of bones  :-*
i also have to talk to a guy that has a router, to round-over the halfmoon.
thanks Bob, but such a small pack can get 'lost' during shipping. guess i'll have to stick with that wood glue made out of bones  :-* Kiss [/quote]

gorilla tape! thats cool, never seen it but now I'll be lookin.
Natural wood glue will be fine on tight wood seams.
Gorilla glue and its lapages brother does a good job of filling small voids and bonds more than just wood.
I am rather fond of J rocks Plexi solution, you do not have to worry about drilling it.
Most people make a mess of it the first time around. One small fracture can compound in a short time.
at 1" plexi the odds are in your favour.

« Last Edit: 05/23/06 at 04:46:15 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/23/06 at 07:08:43

ebay is out of reach for me.
i'll ask an installer over here about plexi. i really want to find some.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/24/06 at 13:13:27

Tempered glass is pretty cheap. Has anybody ever done that?
Fairly strong too. Drilling holes would be out of the question.
But routering a channel in 4 pieces of wood, like a picture frame, but a channel instead of a rabbit grove, filling the channel with sealer, and stapleing the wood together. Then you could screw the wood frame to the box. I did this on the glass door of my equipment rack (no pics yet) and is very sturdy.

1X2 oak lumber, some sealer, and the glass is all you'd need...

Bob

« Last Edit: 05/24/06 at 16:18:22 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/24/06 at 13:40:20

good one Bob. frigging school, i still have to study for the sucky classes, like biology, french...
i have no time to begin. Sad

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/27/06 at 14:43:37

i tested a new position in the room today. facing the back of the room. opposite direction to where my head is facing. in the same corner where it was untill now, only i took the db-12 away, since i'm going to be switching to a single sub "setup"
it sounds more 'natural', maybe a bit faster.
i can't wait to try the new box.
i didn't start work because a friend of mine found a few people that wanted speakers, so i've been working on other boxes. i saved a few $$ and ordered a sub similar to J_Rock's Dayton HFs but it hasn't arrived, yet. more excursion, dvc 4 ohm and higher efficiency.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/27/06 at 18:56:55

what sub did ya get?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print