Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/27/14 at 02:45:38

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Finally, some action... (Read 18998 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Finally, some action...
Reply #15 - 05/28/06 at 04:34:08

this is it.
should be here next saturday.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/28/06 at 05:03:33

Did ya get one or two?  and did you pay the price on their website?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/28/06 at 06:40:45

1 piece, 170$. shipping done by a friend. he's currently in the us. should be here june 3 or june 10.
no shipping tax ftw ! Kiss

« Last Edit: 06/10/06 at 19:03:23 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/10/06 at 19:12:51

update :
i got all the round cuts done. i bought the panels cut, so i didn't have to worry about that.
i built the insert today and 3 panels of the outer box.
i still have to pay a visit next week to a carpenter to get the edges of the half-moon rounded.
unfortunately i got pawned twice Sad
the shop said they had 25mm thickness. upon measuring the panels home, i saw that the mdf was exactly 1inch thick (25.4mm). so now, the insert won't fit inside the outer box. sanding time !
my jig-saw played me a nasty trick. when i tried to do the 45deg cut, the blade wasn't cutting straight and it messed up the edge. fixed it with some glue. i had to do that cut with the handsaw and the use a wood rasp to get it right.
should have build pics soon. i just need to borrow a digital camera.
i still haven't tracked down some plexi.  :(

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/10/06 at 19:49:41

Adrian, how much plexi you lookin for?

I got a couple small sections of balistic Plexi used in Cop Cars.  a little sqare about 12 x 12.  Only problem is they are really scratched up.  Not to many deep scratches though, so if you wanted to sand the piece till its smooth you could I am sure.

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/10/06 at 22:37:58

Adrian
got any ice rinks nearby? I acquired some heavy plexi called puck board. Once it gets scratched up they replace it. Cleaning it up is not to hard if the scratches are not to deep.
it might be thick enough, If you want to know how thick mine is I can let you know next week when I get home. I recycled it for a window in my shed that is made out of scrap lumber.
It is at least 1/2 inch thick

Just a thought

« Last Edit: 06/10/06 at 22:38:13 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/11/06 at 06:57:27

J. and Gex,
i'm looking for something i can use as top lid.
i'll call tomorrow a local installer to see if he could help me with the plexi issue. if by any chance i can't find some plexi, i'll send one of you guys some $$ to buy a couple of pieces if you have the time.

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/11/06 at 16:12:55

Adrian
Let me know the exact size and thickness and I will see if I can find something that will cost you nothing.

If you can buff scratches out I may have something.
My contact at the rink is in another job but I will still look around.
I can't guarantee anything but I will ask around in the next couple days, meanwhile keep looking anyway.

You already know I am not comfortable taking other peoples money. So if I can find something for nothing then I don't mind shipping it at my expense

« Last Edit: 06/11/06 at 16:13:15 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/13/06 at 12:18:41

i called the local installer. i'm making the plexi shop a visit today. i'm going to order the panels.
i'm thinking about putting the plexi lid just like i would mount an mdf lid (on top of the box) and not router a small canal in the mdf for the plexi to fit in.

« Last Edit: 06/13/06 at 12:18:58 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 06/14/06 at 12:51:33

build complete !
although during tuning only 4 screws secure the lid (out of 20) and the insert isn't sealed in.
i just pushed the insert to the top of the half-moon. this way, the sealed chamber size is the exact volume the manufacturer recomended me.
half-moon rounded nicely. magnet in vented.
first thoughts (only 2 songs played)
tight. loud (louder than the 2cf box i used to break-in the sub). as for how low it goes, it will take some time to re-play all the songs i know. i'll be checking for port noise in the months that will come as i finally finished this school year and i'm in vacation. it's crossed a lot higher and the anoing moo-ing (remember the thread ?) seems to be reduced.
i still haven't played with the x-over. it's at the same setting i used while break-in. ~70hz.
soon to come : pics and comparison to the infinity - db10 combo.
i gave up the plexi idea. 40$ for the top lid is a bit too much  >:(

« Last Edit: 06/14/06 at 12:52:12 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/14/06 at 13:39:39

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1147870641/15#24 date=1150285893]build complete !
although during tuning only 4 screws secure the lid (out of 20) and the insert isn't sealed in.
i just pushed the insert to the top of the half-moon. this way, the sealed chamber size is the exact volume the manufacturer recomended me.
half-moon rounded nicely. magnet in vented.
first thoughts (only 2 songs played)
tight. loud (louder than the 2cf box i used to break-in the sub). as for how low it goes, it will take some time to re-play all the songs i know. i'll be checking for port noise in the months that will come as i finally finished this school year and i'm in vacation. it's crossed a lot higher and the anoing moo-ing (remember the thread ?) seems to be reduced.
i still haven't played with the x-over. it's at the same setting i used while break-in. ~70hz.
soon to come : pics and comparison to the infinity - db10 combo.
i gave up the plexi idea. 40$ for the top lid is a bit too much  >:( [/quote]
congratulations, i recently crossed my sub over @ abut 55hz, very nice, try it some day, also i never understood people mounting subs backwards? listen to it for a few weeks like it is and then reverse the sub for a few weeks and see if you can hear the difference?  plexi glass is for show offs, plain mdf is for audio enthusiasts!

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 06/14/06 at 13:44:07

[quote author=60ndown  link=1147870641/15#25 date=1150288779]
i never understood people mounting subs backwards? [/quote]
It increases the volume of the sealed chamber and provides better cooling of the motor structure.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 06/14/06 at 14:08:56

putting the magnet in vented is like lowering the insert. but you don't get the same effect as moving the insert over the port.
i moved the insert lower. right now it covers about 1" of the port. still can't decide between covered or uncovered port. it seems to go lower covered, but it's not as fast and accurate as uncovered.
this decision is going to kill me. i really like the look of the uncovered port. i wish i had a spl meter Sad.

« Last Edit: 06/14/06 at 14:13:31 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 06/14/06 at 15:08:04

wal-mart, $30.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/14/06 at 18:40:06

[quote author=Lee in Arkansas  link=1147870641/15#26 date=1150289047]
It increases the volume of the sealed chamber and provides better cooling of the motor structure. [/quote]

yea but the thing i dont 'believe' is that the sub moves equal amounts of air both ways, try bailing out your sinking boat with an inverted bucket Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print