Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/30/14 at 04:14:47

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
whoooaaaaaa.....I just got a thought. (Read 10596 times)
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re: whoooaaaaaa.....I just got a thought.
Reply #15 - 05/18/06 at 17:11:04

I wouldn't say I don't care, because I do or I wouldn't be experimenting. I'd say, I'm not afraid of failure. I've made many things that flopped, I just learned to not try that again or figure out why and fix it. We can sit here and theorize all we want, but that's all it is. I can draw and draw and draw and theorize and calculate till I die, but how do I know if any of it was right or accurate until I actually DO it?

That is a long port.....not sure how it would be implemented, and what it would do to the overall outer dimensions of the box.

I picture it simply as a 6th order bandpass, sensitivity to intolerances and all.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/18/06 at 17:29:38

A port that long might start taking on tl characteristics and change the tuning even further.  There are just so many things to consider.  I hope it works out for you.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/18/06 at 18:16:52

That's my concern.  ???

IP Logged
Michael E
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/02/06 at 12:34:40

A 'port' that long IS a tline. Note that a port tunes a certain volume box to a certain area/length port.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/03/06 at 20:01:09

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/danley_tapped.pdf

Here is a lot of info of using both sides of a driver to feed a horn.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 07/04/06 at 03:25:47

But it doesn't tell you how to do it.  You can try it if you want (but probably not commercially) but there's no way to model what will happen and if you don't do it right it could be worse than traditional loading.

IP Logged
Hellion
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/07/06 at 10:12:03

I know how to do what you want to do.  Essentially, you build another wo without a top. Reverse the direction of the horn.  Port the rear chamber into the horn and use pieces of wood to bind the two together. on the outside.

Get it?

« Last Edit: 09/08/06 at 00:27:27 by Hellion »  
  IP Logged
AudioNirvana
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/10/06 at 18:03:05

But you would want to reduce the volume of the chamber in the WO you are porting into surely? Or is that assumed all along?

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/11/06 at 01:24:57

No Way, tuning the port into the second WO would take up enough of that chamber anyways, and likely the lower tuning of the passive WO would drop considerably, eliminating a lot of cancellation issues that would come up in the double WO from the SPL thread.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/11/06 at 14:22:59

Wow, that lost me.  :-[

Pic?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/02/06 at 14:57:57

[quote author=jj420  link=1147720873/15#23 date=1157934297]No Way, tuning the port into the second WO would take up enough of that chamber anyways, and likely the lower tuning of the passive WO would drop considerably, eliminating a lot of cancellation issues that would come up in the double WO from the SPL thread. [/quote]

so if i understand what you are sayin...( kind of new to all this) this would be like a 6th oreder bp w horn ports that would have low cancellation issues ? sorry i have been kicking this around in my head......and then read this post...lol Cheesy
i have a singel 12 that would be a good test sub....cuz if it dies...its for a good movement.....

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/02/06 at 18:34:07

Your best bet is to tune the rear chamber 5-10hz off the WO's normal tuning- supposedly 45 hz.

hence a rear chamber tuned to 35-40 or 50-55.  That will put a huge spike in response right in the middle of the tuning frequencies.  Probably the easiest way to get loud with the WO.  Would destroy any resemblence of an SQ box and would only be SPL.

I personaly suggest the 10 inch version with rear chamber tuned to 40 hz.  It models a result of 20+db increase at 42.4 hz.

« Last Edit: 10/02/06 at 18:34:32 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/02/06 at 20:39:49

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1147720873/15#26 date=1159810447]Your best bet is to tune the rear chamber 5-10hz off the WO's normal tuning- supposedly 45 hz.

hence a rear chamber tuned to 35-40 or 50-55.  That will put a huge spike in response right in the middle of the tuning frequencies.  Probably the easiest way to get loud with the WO.  Would destroy any resemblence of an SQ box and would only be SPL.

I personaly suggest the 10 inch version with rear chamber tuned to 40 hz.  It models a result of 20+db increase at 42.4 hz. [/quote]

+20 db.....i will make a wo to specs....then well go mod just so i know 4 my self.....my table saw likes killin mdf anyhowz

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 10/02/06 at 22:34:03

I wonder how the thing would sound with the rear chamber port tuned like that? When we ported for SPL boxes we went with 55-60hz trying to get higher resonance numbers. Very one-notish results like that though.
Have you modeled one tuned that high to see what sort of spike it gives J?

Thanks for taking the time right now, I am just swamped with work and moving and mortgages and and and lol

See ya later guys!

Robert

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/02/06 at 23:49:51

That places a larger spike (+23 db) at 51hz.  But yes-absolutely this box would be SPL only.  No where near SQ useable response. lol  It looks like a pyramid.

I might make this SPL monster.  All I would have to do is cut port holes into the chamber and add ports for a testing phase.  If I want to go back to SQ- just plug the holes lol.

Also- I am not exactly sure what the front chamber is tuned to with the flared port/horn.  I used Steve's comment about it being close to 45hz tuning frequency.

« Last Edit: 10/02/06 at 23:54:02 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print