Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
DFR8's (Read 19154 times)
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Re: DFR8's
Reply #30 - 05/19/06 at 17:07:55

Hello Rob,

Wait till you hear the cyroed versions. Unbelivable!!

BTW, if you don't mind, where did you source a case of fifty at that price.

Also, do you have a tube tester to match your pairs, or do you find it's not an issue.

Thanks, Bill Cheesy

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 05/19/06 at 17:15:04

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1146262918/15#29 date=1148039910]

Another interesting  thing  you  might  want to  try:  
Mount the  ribbon  facing the  rear, and  wire it out of  phase.

I'm  sure  this  'rear  ambience'  effect  would  work  better if  it  were  mounted  IN the  cabinet,  but  I  like the  effect  a lot.

[/quote]

What value cap are you using on the tweeter?

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/20/06 at 11:47:45

Bill...
The  seller  was the  same  one on E-bay who is  selling the  cases  of 50 on E-bay at the "buy it  now" price of $175.  
At  first  he  did  open auctions  on these  cases, and  I  lucked  out on  one that  ended at  like  3 in the  morning with only  one  bid  ahead  of  me. I  got  it  for $108

I  do  not have a  testerand  have  never  matched  tubes  in  my pair  of  Selects. It's never   been a  problem,  unless  one of the  tubes is  bad, or at  least way off  from the  other, and that  has  only  happened 2-3  times in  5  years.

Brad..
I'm  using  the  1uf Mundorf  Silver/foil from Madisound.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/20/06 at 19:32:16

That's silver foil in oil, yes? I've got some of those in my TABOO.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/20/06 at 19:37:05

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1146262918/15#29 date=1148039910]
You MUST send them in for a good Cryo treatment - it brings these tubes to a completely different level.  We did a group Cryo  buy/treatment a while back on these forums. Everyone really liked them including Steve.

I  have  16 of  them  being  treated  as  we  speak  :)

Another interesting  thing  you  might  want to  try:  
Mount the  ribbon  facing the  rear, and  wire it out of  phase.

I'm  sure  this  'rear  ambience'  effect  would  work  better if  it  were  mounted  IN the  cabinet,  but  I  like the  effect  a lot.

[/quote]

Rob where are you having the Cryo done and how much is it costing you?

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/20/06 at 20:03:42

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/21/06 at 07:09:04

My name is Gnat and I'm a tweakaholic... Smiley

I'm very happy with the sound of the DFR8's now that they are breaking/broken in.  But this came about for a different reason - I'll explain later.

« Last Edit: 05/21/06 at 22:32:32 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/21/06 at 07:47:54

Wow Brad. Interesting looking. Where did you get the salad bowls  :) Come-on explain. What differences, what about dispertion? ???  ;D

Mr C

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/21/06 at 08:35:07

Wow, That will have increased the sensetivety by a few db ??? How dose it sound?

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 05/21/06 at 09:23:06

It sounds great!  A little more efficient, more midrange detail (as if there wasn't enough already!) while still sounding smooth and not bright, midrange is more "juicy" for lack of a better word, and a hair better bass. Only downside I can see so far is you lose allot when not seated unless you're clear accross the room.  Putting something under the fronts to tilt them back could help that.

While these are not large enough for a "true front bass horn" I think they are helping the mids my compensating for some baffle step loss.

« Last Edit: 05/21/06 at 09:24:43 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 05/21/06 at 09:29:44

C, you caught me! Smiley  The things just happened to have exactly an 8" diameter bass and a curved profile similar to a horn.  And they cost $20 each!...

« Last Edit: 05/21/06 at 09:45:22 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 05/21/06 at 09:54:09

The "Target bowl" tweak is reversible/non-permanant. I used double sided aggressive out-door tape (the kind to stick address letters on a house) to affix them.

Btw, you might think I'm goofy, but this really does improve the midrange quality and "juicy tone".  I'd love for somebody with a less live (better treated) room to try this and let us know how it sounds - especially the imaging.  For me I don't lose anything, but my room is not the best for discerning imaging details.

« Last Edit: 05/21/06 at 10:04:13 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 05/21/06 at 10:11:10

Bottom line is I was walking through Target the other day and when I spotted these bowls, I thought... hmmm... interesing profile... and man that diameter looks close.  Then when I grabbed a tape measure and saw it was 8" I had to take one home to try out.  I cut the bottom out with a razor knife, and listened to it on just one speaker, listening mono, and switching back forth to compare to the other without the bowl.  Things sounded promising and I didn't hear any major problems, so I bought another bowl to audition in stereo.  Well, I don't think I'll be pulling the bowls off any time soon - except maybe to silicon them in place permanently.

I'm lovin' it even with my Charlize chip amp.  I'm really chompin' at the bit to get my TABOO and CSP back from my friend!!!

One of those accidental discoveries.  :)

« Last Edit: 05/21/06 at 22:22:19 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 05/21/06 at 11:08:20

I am game to try it. I will see if Target in Oz carries them. If not I will have to get you to post a couple over to me Brad.
Its a great hobby, lots of things we can try. Grin

Mr C

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 05/21/06 at 12:41:23

Nice ,creative, find Brad Grin .
Ill have to see if I can find something simmilar here In Belgium to try on my HDTs Thanks for heads up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print