10/30/14 at 18:02:48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
DFR8's (Read 20511 times)
Mr Content
Ex Member

Re: DFR8's
Reply #15 - 05/09/06 at 10:01:04

Thanks for that info Brad. I am going to Modd the thing, I am now developing a plan of upgrade, but I want it to include a better source switch, volume control and better RCA's, or maybe a different type of connection for the IC's. With your cap upgrade did you notice a detail level increase?

Mr C

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/09/06 at 17:42:23

Yes, the Mundorfs gave a little better micro details while remaining smooth and no hint of grain/brightness.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/10/06 at 09:12:06

Thanks Brad. I will start with the caps. I stick to one thing at a time, to better gauge the improvement. Smiley

Mr C

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/11/06 at 19:16:21

Madisound has some of the Mundorfs on sale now.  If you lookup my past posts (sorry have to wade through allot of them!), you will see pictures of the inside of mine with the new caps in place - may  help with positioning them.  -BB-

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/12/06 at 08:39:16

Thanks for the heads up Brad. I have your pics saved already, I have been thinking this over for some time. Smiley

Mr C

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/13/06 at 03:44:42

I imagine that the DFR8's will take as long as the orig 206e to break in....and be very sensitive to the amp used.  

When I got my 206's two years ago, I'd turn on my tuner and amp while I was at work for 2 months.  It got better, but it wasn't until late last year that I really started to get smoother response and good bass.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/16/06 at 06:02:34

Well, the DFR8's seem to be breaking in nicely already.  Everything is slowly getting smoother and less bright.  Even with using my new chip amp.  I still haven't gotten my TABOO back to try. I'll let y'all know when I do.  Maybe this is helping the breakin though. Sometimes when I go to work I'll leave a CD playing - cranking pretty loud.  I can do this with the chip amp and don't have to worry (it runs on 12 volts) like I do with my tube gear - plus it's more than twice as much watts.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/16/06 at 12:57:26

Brad I would be interested to see what you think of the CSP/ Charlize combintation. At my place its WOW! Grin

Mr C

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/16/06 at 22:52:34

Sure. Btw C, have you ever thought of adding a super-tweeter to your B200's?  I bet the Aurum Cantus G2Si ribbon tweeter I'm using would improve things for you quite a bit.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/17/06 at 05:37:43

Brad I have thought about it. I have a pair of Hiel Air motion tweets. There is only 1 song in all the songs I play, that ever has me thinking about it though. But as you say it may be of benefit. Something worth trying at some stage. Did you notice any down side to adding a tweeter to your HDT's.

Mr C

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/17/06 at 17:43:04

No.  But you have to cross it high enough to keep it from messing up the main driver.  If not you're liable to get peaks in lower treble and a potentially bright sound.

Besides the obvious benefits to drum cymbols and plucked instruments I noticed a big difference on bowed instruments, particularly cello.

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/18/06 at 12:37:26

I have  to echo brad's sentiments  on the  Aurum Cantus ribbon. Mine  have  been in just a  hair  over a  month  now.  The only weakness I was experiencing early on (a  little too much sibilants, especially on female  vocals) has  now become very tame. Some of this may  have  been tube-related.

I  normally change  power  tubes every six months  like  clock-work, they  are  cheap  enough, and I  like's  'em  fresh.
I  had a  set  of the Russian Military  6N15Ns, and liked  them  so  much I bought a case of  50 @ $2.16/tube.

Anyway...  they  had  been in  only  about  4.5  months,  but I  had  been running them  very  hard, and  leaving the amps on constantly. A fresh set of tubes made all the difference  in the world !

I am ordering DFR8s tomorrow !   :
From the sound of the  feedback I'm  hearing, I  will be  burning  them in for some  time (good  time to  re-use the  4.5  month old  tubes).

Brad,  have  you  used the  ribbons with the  DFR8s  yet ?

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/18/06 at 17:58:04

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1146262918/15#26 date=1147952246]
I  had a  set  of the Russian Military  6N15Ns, and liked  them  so  much I bought a case of  50 @ $2.16/tube. [/quote]

You MUST send them in for a good Cryo treatment - it brings these tubes to a completely different level.  We did a group Cryo  buy/treatment a while back on these forums. Everyone really liked them including Steve.

Quote:
Brad,  have  you  used the  ribbons with the  DFR8s  yet ?

Yes, I have.  There is less of a need for the tweeter with the DFR8's to my ears.  The ribbon still adds something, but with the DFR8's I don't miss the tweeter when not hooked up as much as I did with the FE206EM's.  It may have to do with the fact that the DFR8's don't seem to need felt around the phase plug to mellow out brightness the way the EM's did.  

The DRF8's (and my chip amp) are breaking in nicely.  The brightness initially heard is mellowing out.  Bass is still lacking - it could be it takes longer for the surround and spider to break in.  But again, can also be largely due to my "live" room.  More time will tell.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/19/06 at 06:49:54

Next time there is a group Cryo going I be in it. Things like that in OZ are not that available. Sad

Mr C

« Last Edit: 05/19/06 at 06:50:08 by barfind »  
  IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/19/06 at 12:58:30

[quote author=gnat leader  link=1146262918/15#27 date=1147971484] [/quote]
You MUST send them in for a good Cryo treatment - it brings these tubes to a completely different level.  We did a group Cryo  buy/treatment a while back on these forums. Everyone really liked them including Steve.

I  have  16 of  them  being  treated  as  we  speak  :)

Another interesting  thing  you  might  want to  try:  
Mount the  ribbon  facing the  rear, and  wire it out of  phase.

I'm  sure  this  'rear  ambience'  effect  would  work  better if  it  were  mounted  IN the  cabinet,  but  I  like the  effect  a lot.

« Last Edit: 05/19/06 at 12:59:23 by Rob »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print