Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrade Cost (Read 1937 times)
fernandez
Ex Member

Upgrade Cost
04/21/06 at 21:49:37

Hi,

What would the cost be to have my SE84B upgraded to a select?

Thanks,

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Re: Upgrade Cost
Reply #1 - 04/21/06 at 22:18:29

It's in the master catalog, $78.

Dave

IP Logged
fernandez
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/06 at 23:50:24

Thanks

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/06 at 00:14:56

That's for a DIY kit, right?
How involved is the conversion? I've seen the schematic showing the parts that are upgraded, but I have not opened mine up, for any reason, yet. Is it micro surgery or can I get several of my  left thumbs in there at once?

IP Logged
fernandez
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/06 at 01:50:38

How much would it be to have Decware do it?

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/22/06 at 05:07:14

Not sure about that (the Decware job), I'm sure it wouldn't be excessive and I'm sure a quick call could clear it up.

DD, I did mine (bought my own "kit"), and it's really not that hard with one exception.  Working with the coupling caps is quite difficult, not so much for removing the old ones but getting the new ones in under everything and soldering them in the right places without toasting any vital components.  I was tempted to rip out everything and reconnect the whole input tube socket, but a little patience eventually paid off.  In the process, of course, I learned a  real appreciation for the artistry involved, NOBODY would ever mistake my work for Steve's.

Dave

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/22/06 at 13:03:08

Thanks for the heads up, Dave.  
It's sounding too good right now to mess with.
Although, I'm still very curious about the "full Zen" sound and I'm pretty confident of my abilities. A future project it will have to be.                              
Maybe after the weekend listening session I'll let it cool enough to open it up and have a look, but not today. Besides I want to get another one, first so I can mono them, properly. Someday soon ...  ;D

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/22/06 at 16:05:52

You could just do the coupling caps, without changing any of the circuit.  Of course, that's the hard part, but Steve has said that amounts to the majority of the difference in sound between C and CS, and I would certainly agree.  I've switched my circuit back to a C before, and the difference is quite subtle (keeping the Jensen PIO caps in both circuits).

Dave

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/25/06 at 00:11:25

I will agree that changing the coupling caps is a pain! i roasted one of the other caps in the process when i put the pio's in mine. had to order another cap from parts express and i was down for about 4 days, what a pita. but it does sound good.  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print