Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 23:19:43

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver (Read 40438 times)
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Re: hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver
Reply #285 - 06/27/06 at 16:31:59

[quote author=John in CR  link=1145573673/285#285 date=1151418704] but now you've used it on test baffles. [/quote]

Dammit.  ::)  I screwed that up.

Quote:
 Check out car audio installation shops for the factory drivers they remove from the rear deck of cars.

hmmmm, VERY GOOD IDEA .  OHHHH, Man, I'm exited now! That's a really good idea John.

Bob

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #286 - 06/27/06 at 17:41:27

I have an assortment of old Delco 6x9's and 5.25's from old cars.  I just assumed everyone had a closet full of junk...

This old, cheap stuff that is not so good for other box styles seems to be a great fit for OB.

There is even a local surplus store that sells the OEM Delco stuff.  The 5.25" sells brand new for about $4.

You are going to want some big drivers if you want to get low with OB though.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #287 - 06/27/06 at 19:18:25

bb, (soon to be bm) no closets full of junk/goodies. Havn't been into the hobby long enough to collect trophies.

Is 'big' and 'OE' possible?

Bob

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #288 - 06/27/06 at 20:42:36

I'm currently planning an OB bass augmenter manifold with B200's as the main driver.  They'll end up being quite compact floor standers with the woofer section 8-9" wide and 25" tall, which will contain 8 6"x9"s in each speaker.  They will be the equivalent of a pair of 15" woofer, but in a compact depth and drastically lower price.   Something very similar to my Flintstone cabs, but slightly taller.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #289 - 06/27/06 at 21:35:34

Hi John, I'm trying to picture the setup.
Like the Flinstones, is there a hole/slot in front baffle, surrounded inside the "enclosure" by another box with all drivers on the box, not the baffle.

Sounds interesting. Reminds me of some of those 'extreme' IB towers with a dozen 15"er, all radiating through a small hole.

Do I have the visual picture?   ???

Bob

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #290 - 06/27/06 at 23:53:11

Exactly, you just can't see the drivers through the front pathways because I put a piece of expanded metal over the opening from the back and those driver frames and entire chamber are painted black.  The work behind that is invisible but I was very worried about vibration noise from the grill and went to significant lengths to prevent it.  The new one will move a lot more air and will require a larger grill approach.  I'll also have to equally air mass load the back side too.

« Last Edit: 06/27/06 at 23:54:58 by John in CR »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #291 - 06/28/06 at 03:16:47

Those look nice, John.
Are they going on stands or do you plan to angle them upward slightly.
The idea is similar to what I was trying figure out. I want to incorporate a "W" baffle into the main, with the 2 - 15s running push-pull. I like the use of smaller drivers in multiples, but I am a little spoiled with the low Fs (22Hz) the JBLs have.

I was using a MTM arrangement (2 - 15s + B200) for about a month and that really sounds great, but I tried to flip one of the drivers around and the difference is amazing. They remain that way, for now, but I'm getting tired of looking at (and bumping into) a 20 lb magnet structure. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #292 - 06/28/06 at 04:21:40

Thanks Dawg,

Those are about 2 years old and were one of my initial forays into OB.  I didn't plan for enough surface area on the augmenters and they sound really good, but only up to moderate levels.  The reason I want to try the 6x9's is that I can pack them into a more compact depth.  That way any depth in excess of 10" is 2 for one value and makes it a hybrid U-baffle.  That way I can keep it really compact, plus less pathway depth means I can cross as a higher frequency making main driver options more flexible.  My goal is to see how compact I can go with a high performance without cheating and boxing up the bass.  Whether I ever go to market with it is irrelevant to me.  I'm just having fun trying to do what no one else has, create a domestic size OB with real bass that can be driven by a single amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print