Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/20/14 at 19:44:19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print
hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver (Read 38466 times)
John in CR
Ex Member

Re: hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver
Reply #15 - 04/22/06 at 03:52:27

Bob bob bob bob bob,

I don't know why people keep trying the Daytons in the HWK.
Few have success.

The HWK is more of a club cab than an HT cab.  This is because of the port tuning.  Just plug the top and bottom chambers into a 6th order bandpass cab to see what I mean.  The center chamber has the magical quality of smoothing an otherwise double peaked response, but it doesn't change the tuning of the vented chambers.

That banging noise is definitely the drivers hitting the back plate.  This is happening because your sending material below tuning, resulting in loss of cone control.  Since you have 8mm of Xmax and a mechanical limit of only 9.2mm , you get bang bang bang with low frequency content.

The first thing to try is a different tuning.  Take the top driver out and play just the bottom one.  This will greatly lower the tuning of the top chamber.  Maybe it will sound ok to you for HT.  If that works better, then just mount the 2nd driver clamshelled to the bottom one.  If that still doesn't cut it, try taking off the bottom cap and listen to it laying on it's side.  That's not too far from the recommended vented cab for the driver.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/26/06 at 17:24:31

No offense to anyone but I have Series II in both my HWK15s and have been a fan of Daytons ever since. I am not sure what to tell you BOB. It sounds like everthing is hooked up right and with IIs, plus 450w+, I don't think you should have any problem going low or loud. One HWK with two Daytons(hooked up the same as you) with about 300w will hit between 115db to 120db(3ft away) and rolls off hard around 28Hz to 25Hz depending on the material being played. Understand this is my set up and almost every set up is different. I also use the Ultrabass Pro EX1200(Behringer) if I need that extra punch or low,low bass. Besides sometimes when the whiskey is flowing my system doesn't sound loud enough for me either. Just keep on "BOOMING"  and you will figure out what you like the best.   HT-EXT

« Last Edit: 04/28/06 at 17:27:33 by Joe_Eaton »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/26/06 at 20:41:59

Yea, my intention last week was to drag the big S.O.B. back into the workshop to increase the WAF visually, and increase my "acceptance factor" audibly.

Well, I got it into the workshop had it painted on the exterior, and lined inside and threw my back out flipping the damn thing back upright. So I put it back in it's home, fired it up, and drank some feel better juice for my lower back. Still haven't recovered.  >:(  Didn't notice ant difference lining top and bottom chambers with padding either. BUT, the wife says it looks prettier now.  >:( THAT was a kick in the balls.  :-X Cry All that work, no audible difference, bad back, and IT LOOKS PRETTY. ARRGG.

Liken' the looks of that Behringer HT-EXT

Bob

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/27/06 at 12:59:32

Dumb question, but what does 'WAF' stand for?! It's been driving me nuts trying to figure out.

All I've found is Women in the Air Force, What A Fag, and somethin' else......None of which make sense in the context in which it's used on these forums.

« Last Edit: 04/27/06 at 13:01:43 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/27/06 at 13:22:53

WAF? Also SAF and SOAF, but there are others. It's a perfect question from a newlywed. You will soon come to appreciate the subtleties of WAF issues.

F=Factor
A=Acceptance
W-Wife
S=Spouse or Significant
O=Other

There are other ways to describe the same complication, but that's the idea.

« Last Edit: 04/27/06 at 13:32:58 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/27/06 at 22:37:39

I'm not sure what the Dayton's or other speakers cost, but when I spoke to Steve, he told me that the HW's were designed for Black Widows. Why fight it? Just buck up! Grin

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/27/06 at 22:50:17

Well Wreckinthehouse, here's what Steve wrote in the Housewrecker section....

"Using musical instrument woofers (ex. PEAVEY BLACK WIDOW) you get tight full accurate bass from 200 down to 40 HZ. Using subwoofers you get big warm full bass that can on command create Subsonic pressures lower than 20 cycles".

The reason I picked the Daytons is two fold.. #1, Steve said a SUBwoofer driver goes 20hz lower than the Black Widow, and #2, general consenses was the Dayton was a good choice (being a Sub-driver). But the big factor for me was the word 'subsonic'.

See what I mean?...  ;)

Bob

p.s. By the way, the Daytons were $90 each. I never checked on the Black Widow.

« Last Edit: 04/27/06 at 22:52:31 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/27/06 at 22:54:36

Checked Parts Express, $175 each if this is them...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=294-303

Bob

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/27/06 at 23:35:09

The Black widows are about 150.00 each, and if you blow one you just unbolt it and change the basket. I, like you have tried other woofers but i always put the Peaveys back in. Subsonic?, Id have to hear a major difference to replace my woofers, but the jobs that i play at, it buckles the walls. It's pretty embarassing when the pictures in the halls start hitting the floor, but hey thats what it,s all about

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/28/06 at 12:44:19

Wreckin', how many drivers do you have installed, and how are they positioned?

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/28/06 at 15:44:19

What up BOB? Have you ever consider laying the HWK on its side. I have one HWK15 standing up and one laying on its side with the top port firing at a concert wall. The one laying down seems to play lower and louder but that could be because of the wall. The Series II are almost "dead on" with the specs provided by Steve that is why I pick the Daytons. Have you every consider building the WO36 for HT? I "eyeballed" your pics and with a WO36 in front and the HWK behind would be a balistic or SUBsonic combo. Of course I might be throwing more trouble at you with another subwoofer in the room.     HT-EXT

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/28/06 at 16:21:16

rewire the drivers so they get more power for a little bit.

I am betting they just don't have th eumph they want.

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/28/06 at 18:25:46

Bob,

Isn't this for your HT ?  The HWK is not an HT subwoofer.  It is a great club cab though.  It simply doesn't do low enough to be good for HT.  As stated above, it was designed to roll off below 40hz.  It doesn't really matter what driver you put in them, that doesn't change the tuning.  You can try increasing the top chamber by installing your drivers only on the bottom baffle.  Save your back and just take the top driver out and give it a listen.  I don't like mine like that, but who knows.  It will definitely give you more bottom end extension.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/28/06 at 21:04:29

I have the magnets in the center chamber. Like John in CR stated, if you remove the upper woofer, you will get much lower sound but less control at high volume. The HW will also be much more efficient. Almost forgot your question, I have two woofers per HW.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/28/06 at 22:09:31

HT-EXT, The first location for the sub was laying on it's side, directly between the front surrounds with the 2 bottom ports facing towards me (first), straight up, then away from me. (now it's behind and right on me).
Yes I have checked out the WO (would be great to be able to find sub plans for existing Daytons) but havn't gone any further, wanted to 'improve' the HWK for my use, -- see response to John below..

J-Rock, Rewire? not sure how I could change existing circuit?? They are already bridged and parallel, 900 watts (amp knob is not even 1/4 of the way up and get the 'klopping' Cry )

John, John, John, John,  :D  Yes it is for HT(mainly),  music and gaming are a tie for 40% of intended use. I did my best to pretent you didn't say that the first time you said it. Have'nt been able to forget, it keeps haunting me. Now you've said it twice, I can't hide any more. Ok, I'll give the HWK another tweek or two before I start the 'subwoofer plan search' again. (That's how I found Decware in the first place) I'll remove the top driver and see how that does. But while I have you 'on the phone' what would be your idea of a good - to - very good HT sub? PLANS, not prebuilt. Now remember I'd like to use the Daytons again if possible, I mentioned in another thread I spent $2,200 for decking material (It's her turn to spend money since HT is "done enough" {her words Roll Eyes}, I get to be the one to build) So money IS an issue at this point.

Wreckinthehouse, (2) per sub, hmmm.

Bob

Hey John, your a HT guy, have you ever heard of an adaptor for component video to DVI-I, or one from S-video to component, or S-video to DVI-I?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print