Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/23/14 at 01:37:14

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print
hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver (Read 43874 times)
Gexter
Ex Member

Re: hz numbers on a 15" 2 driver
Reply #165 - 05/23/06 at 04:59:35

[quote author=John in CR  link=1145573673/165#165 date=1148333898]Bob,
I change my mind on a daily basis. [/quote]

Really I would not know what thats like. LOL.
Grin Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #166 - 05/24/06 at 15:22:07

Ok, John, thanks. hurdle #1 is just getting back in the room.

Havn't spent much time in there recently. Well, except for American Idol with the wife.  :)

I'm not smart enough to change my mind. It spends enough time time trying to reinvent the wheel.  ;) I believe it was DD that discussed the uncontrolled dribble that his brain continues to spew forth. Kinda like that.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #167 - 05/30/06 at 15:45:47

Ok, John, I got some to spend some time in the cave. Preliminary "first" impression is the overall sound quality is improved (for HT use). bass is less boomy (in my room) more precise. Didn't go for SPL / drywall cracking bass. Happier with the 'kids listening level'.
However, when the kids arn't home and it's dad's turn with the controls, still lacking in the very low hz. I'm going to perform your tweeks when time allows.

Thanks again John.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #168 - 05/30/06 at 21:34:28

[quote author=Bob in St. Louis  link=1145573673/165#168 date=1149000347] Didn't go for SPL / drywall cracking bass. [/quote]

why dyu want drywall cracking volume when your watching a movie?  i find the impact of correct tonality enough, a bmw door being shut or a body hitting the sidewalk from 3 floors accurately reproduced is more than satisfying.....2 mi? bmw door being shut @ 130 db would likely give me a heart attack....litterally.why the need for such excessive volume?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #169 - 05/30/06 at 22:50:41

As you go lower in frequency, Waves need to be much louder in order to sound equally as loud as normal thing we hear, human voices.  Meaning, a 20hz wave at 130db sounds as loud as a 4000hz wave 120 db.

Plus its really cool to have drywall cracking...

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #170 - 05/30/06 at 23:04:17

60, I'm not looking for the entire 2 hour movie being 130db. I do like my hearing just the way it is, and am not looking to start checking on the availability of audiophile grade hearing aids. My goal is for the LFE, and "superLFE" (to coin a phrase) to be just that 'little extra'. It may be slighlty unrealistic to have that spl with the hz I'm looking for (in real life). BUT, the theater going experience is'nt real life, in my book. The examples John and I have given as the "benchmarks" are: first person view inside an aquarium with a small child banging on the outside in Finding Nemo. The opening scene of Star Wars III when the fighters are flying amonst the big ships. And finally the cannon fights between the two 1820's era ships in Master and Commander (which, if memory serves, was YOUR recommendation in the other thread. Good movie too, thanks 60.) All of those examples are situations that most people in real life have never / will never be in. So there is no reference point. What does a mile long, 1,000,000 ton spaceship sound like, in real life, when it explodes?.... Well, nothing really if you want to be REALISTIC about it, since sound doesn't travel in space. But when I watch it on the big screen, I not only want to hear it, loud mind you, I want to feel it too.
We all know what the gental voice of a female vocalist sounds like when reproduced perfectly, or the pluck of a guitar string, and the whack of a kick drum. Even the slamming of a BMW door. I don't want to screw that up, BUT my main focus on this room is home theater first. (I know, I know, I'm on the wrong forum,... whatever. You guys have more audio intellegence than any other forum I've seen regarding home theater. AND nobody here is "better" than anybody else, one of my pet peeves.) So when I watch "TV", I have to turn the sub amp down just a hair, no big deal. But be warned,... if you come to my house to watch an action flick,.... by God, action is what your going to get!

Thanks,
Bob  ;)

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #171 - 05/30/06 at 23:04:48

J, I have been working with drywall and painting all week with no end in sight and let me tell you, sir, there is nothing fun about cracked drywall.

« Last Edit: 05/30/06 at 23:07:06 by bassboy »  
  IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #172 - 05/30/06 at 23:15:44

LOL. Maybe not if you plan on repairing it...

I would leave it and people would ask, "Whys your ceiling cracked?"  

Then I would be happy to reply "My Subwoofer is loud.  And I made it"

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #173 - 05/31/06 at 00:25:42

[quote author=Bob in St. Louis  link=1145573673/165#171 date=1149026657]60, I'm not looking for the entire 2 hour movie being 130db. I do like my hearing just the way it is, and am not looking to start checking on the availability of audiophile grade hearing aids. My goal is for the LFE, and "superLFE" (to coin a phrase) to be just that 'little extra'. It may be slighlty unrealistic to have that spl with the hz I'm looking for (in real life). BUT, the theater going experience is'nt real life, in my book. The examples John and I have given as the "benchmarks" are: first person view inside an aquarium with a small child banging on the outside in Finding Nemo. The opening scene of Star Wars III when the fighters are flying amonst the big ships. And finally the cannon fights between the two 1820's era ships in Master and Commander (which, if memory serves, was YOUR recommendation in the other thread. Good movie too, thanks 60.) All of those examples are situations that most people in real life have never / will never be in. So there is no reference point. What does a mile long, 1,000,000 ton spaceship sound like, in real life, when it explodes?.... Well, nothing really if you want to be REALISTIC about it, since sound doesn't travel in space. But when I watch it on the big screen, I not only want to hear it, loud mind you, I want to feel it too.
We all know what the gental voice of a female vocalist sounds like when reproduced perfectly, or the pluck of a guitar string, and the whack of a kick drum. Even the slamming of a BMW door. I don't want to screw that up, BUT my main focus on this room is home theater first. (I know, I know, I'm on the wrong forum,... whatever. You guys have more audio intellegence than any other forum I've seen regarding home theater. AND nobody here is "better" than anybody else, one of my pet peeves.) So when I watch "TV", I have to turn the sub amp down just a hair, no big deal. But be warned,... if you come to my house to watch an action flick,.... by God, action is what your going to get!

Thanks,
Bob  ;) [/quote]

seems like a lot of work just to capture the few super-lfe moments you reference, there are very few movies i will watch twice, master and commander isnt 1 of them.but i accept we all have our own particular madness, and now i know where yours is bob.i however have 2500 watts on my sub in my car Wink

IP Logged
John in CR
Ex Member

Reply #174 - 05/31/06 at 01:40:24

Maybe you should change your nic to 30andUp.

Why play it?  It's on the recording for a reason, to be played.  Even most cinemas can't reproduce it properly.  We can get there relatively cheaply and it's fun to try.  I don't think anyone wants to boost what's on the track, just play it back exactly.  Explosions are loud, often uncomfortably loud for me in the audible region, but the subsonic stuff isn't.

I can see a lot more reason to have a sub that does 110+db at 10hz, than a car that will do 200mph.  I'd love to have both, so I'll start with the sub, since it's performance will get more use and it's more economical.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #175 - 05/31/06 at 01:55:10

60, have you ever been at a friend's house, or anywhere, really, and listened to a tune that you KNOW has low notes that your system can reproduce that theirs can't?

It's frustrating and when it happens to me I just ask them to please turn it off, silence is better.

The fact is that MOST people are missing the whole bottom third of their recorded material and they don't even know.  Most people wouldn't care if they did know.

WE CARE A LOT.  Once you realize you have been missing it you would rather throw out your recorded arts collection than live without it.  Try it, you'll see.

« Last Edit: 05/31/06 at 01:56:42 by bassboy »  
  IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #176 - 05/31/06 at 12:23:33

60, The goal is to hear 100% of the artist intension. (ok, maybe slightly exagerated in the LFE's) I will watch quite a few movies more than once. Kinda like listening to the same CD/album multiple times. Granted your more "captured" when watching a movie versus having background music. It's much harder to see a movie traveling down the highway than listening to your tunes in a car.
You and I might possibly be cut from the same cloth, we both want quality, just slightly different situations.
Given 30 minutes alone (like when the rest of the family goes to the grocery store) I'll watch the first bit of Saving Private Ryan, battle sequence ect...
Just like the strictly audio guys here will sit and listen to a couple tracks of an album/CD, and not nessesarily the entire disc. I'm perfectly happy seeing "bits" of movies (at volume of course  ;D). Sure, given enough time I'd rather see the whole thing, and make a event out of it. It's my drug, my escape from reality for awhile. I'm sure everybody understands that.

Bassboy, I completely understand what your saying about asking others to turn it down. Nothing worse than listening to someone elses tunes at high volumes when it sounds like crap (and they're grinning because they think it's cool  ::))

J_Rock, I've though about having SLIGHT drywall damage thinking it's cool and telling others, "yea that's because of the sub I built", and not fixing it. But I'd rather not have any cracks if the truth be told.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #177 - 05/31/06 at 12:56:53

looking forward to pirates of the carribean 2 Grin

« Last Edit: 05/31/06 at 12:57:05 by 60ndown »  
  IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #178 - 05/31/06 at 12:59:15

YES!

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #179 - 06/05/06 at 13:23:00

Spent some quality time just listening to the system from various souces this weekend, and am thinking the factory setup in my Chevy truck sounds better/sounds more accurate than my HT set up.  >:(
And this was at 30 miles per hour with both windows down.
I'm totally at a loss.

I realise my drivers arn't great quality (despite the MSRP) but I was happy for quite awile. Have I gotten used to them? (probably)   Am I board with them? (I think so)   Is my desire to build some of the good lookin' design YOU guys come up with making me "think" they're worse than they really are? (I'm very sure)    Have my tastes been refined by YOU GUYS? (guaranteed)    Have I "worn them out"? (doubt it)

Frustration with lack of knowledge and lack of funds is setting in. DIY is my only alternative. Unfortunatly being ignorant is a severe handicap.  :(

I havn't spent any money on another hobby I've got, thinking it may all go the way of Ebay soon. Problem is, it's also my sons hobby too.  ???  That one's more frustrating than this one. Shouldn't be that way.

ohhh what to do,  what to do.....

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print