Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/24/14 at 16:32:38

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Imp. for automotive applications (Read 12799 times)
JimJ
Ex Member

Imp. for automotive applications
04/19/06 at 17:39:18

Well, curiosity's getting the better of me...

What would you guys think about an Imperial Horn in a vehicle? I drive a '94 E-150 cargo van, with nothing in back behind the two seats...currently I have a "normal" 1.5cF ported box for my e12a.22, but I'm getting the urge to do something insane for a year or two. Something like an Imperial Horn. But I have some questions...

1. Is this a horrible idea? It would be firing up in an area about 11'x6'x5'.

2. If it's not such a bad idea, what drivers would be suitable for this sort of thing? I have 1.4kW @ 2-4 ohms on tap, I'm well aware that a small fraction of that will actually be needed Wink

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re: Imp. for automotive applications
Reply #1 - 04/19/06 at 19:18:01

DO EET!!!!

I've pondered the idea, but always came to the same conclusion, not enough room inside a vehicle for just the enclosure. But a VAN! There's an idea.

What if you built two IMPSO's, then laid them on their sides touching at the top (what would be the top if standing upright) to make a "horn" out of the two enclosures.

mwahahaha

I need to get me van here from California. I got a '72 Econoline E-100 with a 4bbl 302 and a C-4. It's yellow with black checker racing stripes down the sides and chrome full-length side-pipes for the true dual exhaust. I love that thing.

IP Logged
JimJ
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/19/06 at 23:35:48

That was in the SQ lanes @ MECA WV State Finals last October...I could fit an Imperial Horn and have plenty of room left over Smiley

As for subwoofers, any suggestions? Close to $300 in materials alone is going to be pretty draining on my checkbook, so I can't afford $200 each driver Cheesy

« Last Edit: 04/19/06 at 23:36:10 by Jack_Frost »  
  IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/20/06 at 00:15:57

imperial SO  ???

IP Logged
JimJ
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/20/06 at 00:27:28

I read that thread about the SO, so really the benefit is an improved HF cutoff...so the original Horn wouldn't fare so well as a sub cabinet? Something about having the drivers exposed and inverted that I like  ;D

This isn't going to be permanently in the van, but living in an apartment doesn't lend itself to something this size Smiley Figure I'll use it mobile for a year or so until I have a place big enough to accomodate it.

« Last Edit: 04/20/06 at 00:28:12 by Jack_Frost »  
  IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/06 at 01:44:14

I have considered putting my imperial in a van but I never got around to it.  The main reason is that, if I actually wanted to go anywhere the sub would have to be attached to the van somehow so it wouldn't crush me to death in an accident.  Secondly, it would turn the van into a two seater.  Then there's all that extra weight...

I imagine it would work well, the van would probably act like an extension of the horn.  If it works like I think it might, a single original version imperial would go plenty low enough and have you completely deaf in no time at all.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/06 at 03:20:23

Two laying down with the hornmouths at the ass end of the van  would be nice.  Look damn Cool, and the back doors would act like the floor of a house the imperials are in.  or upside down in the very back if you have the height.

It would look damn cool no matter what, just not sure if it would sound good or not.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/06 at 08:02:31

i don't think they'll have enough room to breathe right, but who can tell ?
i'd say some pa subs. they have decent powerhandling and nice efficiency. not sure those would go very low.
you could try 1 kicker solo x 18. it'll definetly go lower than the pa subs.
an imperial in a van would definetly hit hard.

« Last Edit: 04/20/06 at 08:04:35 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/20/06 at 19:55:44

Imp. for automotive applications

Thats just silly.

If some rooms are too small for an Imperial then a van?

But it might sound cool outside the van. I like the point about the beast sliding in an accident and crushing everything in its path.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/20/06 at 20:23:02

I could go that way.  No hard feelings being killed by a Speaker.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/21/06 at 00:49:14

sound took out the walls of Jericho so an Imperial taking out a couple of bass heads is not much of a feat.

crushing sound takes on a new meaning

Works for me!

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/21/06 at 02:10:41

I'm just guessing Gex, but I think the van would act much more like an extension of the horn than a small room, I wouldn't anticipate any of the room problems the imperial experiences in a small room.  Maybe.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/21/06 at 14:25:59

DOO EET!!!!!!

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/21/06 at 16:15:09

Keep the windows down, otherwise it'll blow 'em out!  ;D Cheesy

Bob

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/23/06 at 17:45:47

Im not entirely certain that the confines of the van would even allow a waveform from the hornmouth to form before it started cancelling itself out, though if you mounted it facing rearwards, right behind the front seats you could get decent sound outside the van with the rear doors open.  Steve D says to mount the SO in an alcove about 8' back from your mains to allow for the length of the waves.  Likely an Imp in a van would simply compress the interior the same way as the drivers would in a standard ported enclosure.

If you did get crushed by them in an accident, you could also use them as a coffin, I think its genius, the worlds first dual usage enclosure  ???

If your back can handle it, then follow Jets advice, but be prepared to take that sucker out of there too, as it may only worsen your fuel economy.  ($1.10/L today... gawd)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print