Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/21/14 at 05:11:27

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Imp. for automotive applications (Read 13424 times)
bassboy
Ex Member

Re: Imp. for automotive applications
Reply #15 - 04/23/06 at 19:46:20

This is almost turning into a dare...

I'd do it if I didn't have it take it right back out, but I'm not the only one with an imperial, so who is going to try it?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/24/06 at 05:14:14

i'd do it, but i don't have a van, and my dad's 4x4 is too small  :(

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/24/06 at 05:17:35

I don't actually own one either, but I have access.

My main problem is that I would also have to install a head unit and wiring for an amp.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/05/06 at 01:03:08

I'm thinkin' about tackling something similar.

Someone I know want's something LOUD in his pickup. He's ready to do a full blow-through from his camper'd bed. Can the imperial be shaped differently and maintain it's characteristics, as long as the horn maintains its cross-sectional area?

« Last Edit: 05/05/06 at 01:03:22 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/05/06 at 01:26:04

I've already thought about it in a pickup.  The problem is that the hole through the box into the cab can't be any more than about 6 square feet, and that is if you flare it after the wheel well to use the full width available going into the cab.  That means half the box will have to be inside the cab.

Of course anything is possible and you can make a horn fit but the mouth should be at least as big as the imperial for adequate lf extension.  In a regular pickup the last and largest part of the horn flare will have to be inside the cab.

If you can chop the whole back of the truck out, that changes everything and you can get the 9 foot mouth without extending the box into the truck.  This will probably destroy the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Anyway, the hole between the box and cab is going to be the important factor.  And I would hold off until one of us gets off our lazy butt and find out what a big horn is going to do in a van.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/05/06 at 01:39:30

If you are willing to cheat a bit there are ways to decrease the size of the horn, namely chopping the last part of the horn off.  

This works in a tractrix expansion which is also the most efficient (in terms of box material and overall size).  Since the last section of the horn is the largest, chopping off a couple of feet can save a huge amount of space and wood.

The side effect is ripple in the upper range of frequencies the horn is playing, similar to tl ripple in the frequency response.  But if you can effectively cut half the size and weight of the box this may be a road you wish to travel.  There are other designs readily available that have the same mouth size of the imperial but are reported to play about an octave lower by shortening the length of the horn.

I think that a big horn firing into a small area (vehicle cab) will behave like an extension of the horn, or at least in the case of the truck cab, a tuned enclosure.  In this case, it should be like sitting in the mouth of a horn.  But is Gex is right and the cab behaves like a really really small room there would be no reason to go ahead with this.

If you need more info on horn theory, just ask, I have lots and so does just about everybody else here.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/05/06 at 01:54:06

The idea is to take out the entire back wall of the cab, seal it to the camper shell, and re-brace the outer sides similar to a roll-cage.

Basically making it into a van.

« Last Edit: 05/05/06 at 01:54:18 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/05/06 at 01:55:42

It should fit very nicely with no modification in that case.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/05/06 at 02:00:49

I was just thinking about re-shaping it to make it a little lower profile, so maybe two can be put side by side and the cones and horn are more direct.

It's an SPL concept.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/05/06 at 02:02:03

If the vehicle is really tight, you could really go overboard on this without much materials.  If you think of the van to be the enclosure itself, you can make a horn by placing a wedge shaped sealed box at the right spot inside the van.  I don't know if you get what I'm saying but it would take a bit to explain properly.  And I can't draw.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/05/06 at 02:16:11

A different idea if this is for pure SPL is to design your own horn.  It's easier than you think.  Maybe model a 20 hz horn and then cut the last 10 feet off.  It's still going to be almost 15 feet long but the expansion rate is slow, so it doesn't get big fast.  Sensitivity should be quite a bit better than the imperial because of the length (at least twice as long) but the frequency response is going to be bad.  But all you have to do is target your peaks to the measured competition frequency.  Make all your friends deaf with an 8 inch driver.

« Last Edit: 05/05/06 at 02:18:11 by bassboy »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/05/06 at 12:07:31

Why not turn a small box truck/moving van into a rolling IB?
Mount the drivers in a weatherproof enclosure on top of vehicle, like an RV A/C unit.

Bob

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/05/06 at 13:18:16

something like this ?

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/05/06 at 13:41:00

Thanks Adrian, Yes, but substitute A/C unit for a IB enclosure.  :-/

May need some wicked caps & power conditioners to tame down that generator.

I just sent that to all my car buddies.   Cheesy

Bob

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/05/06 at 20:44:14

[quote author=bassboy  link=1145468358/15#24 date=1146790923]If the vehicle is really tight, you could really go overboard on this without much materials.  If you think of the van to be the enclosure itself, you can make a horn by placing a wedge shaped sealed box at the right spot inside the van.  I don't know if you get what I'm saying but it would take a bit to explain properly.  And I can't draw. [/quote]
I understand what you're saying, and now you would not believe what I just drew out by hand. This is a serious concept I have here.

I just need someone to model it for me, as I have NO clue how.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print