Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/03/14 at 01:37:12

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One channel through both speakers (Read 1528 times)
jec965
Ex Member

One channel through both speakers
03/31/06 at 15:25:56

Hello everyone! My name is Jim and this is my first post as I am a new forum member. I have an amp I built using the SE84-CS schematic. I have been using it for months and the sound is fantastic through the HDT's I built. I have separate 100K volume pots installed. I just noticed this morning that if I have both volume pots turned completely off and then gradually turn one pot up I get that one channel through both speakers. This is true with both pots. Loooking at the schematic I just can't figure out how this could be. ??? I am fairly new to  DIY amp building so any suggestions as to where I might start looking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Smiley

Jim

IP Logged
dr._sleep
Ex Member

Re: One channel through both speakers
Reply #1 - 03/31/06 at 18:27:45

JEC895:

Is the volume equal between both speakers with just one pot turned up or just very faint on one side loud on the other?

If you are looking down on a volume pot with the knob pointing towards you, the solder points are, left side = ground, middle = out to input tube, pin 2 and 7, right side input from rca terminal.  Check for a miss-wiring or a short.

If all your hear is faint signal on the turned down channel it could be just crossover distortion from the input tube.  A bit of signal from one channel leaking into the other and vise versa.

Most use dual ganged stereo pots and don't appreciate the crossover issue. Hope this helps.

dr._sleep

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/31/06 at 19:36:54

Could the channels be talking to each other through the ground leg of the pot ??? are you runnig the pot to ground at all? if so you could try running them un-grounded with just input and output leg connected. But this sounds like a grounding problem ???

IP Logged
jec965
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/06 at 21:13:46

The volume is equal on both sides with one pot turned up. I do have grounded pots so I could try ungrounding. dr._sleep, when you say to look at the volume pot with the knob facing you are the solder terminals on top or bottom. Thanks for your help so far!!

Jim

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/06 at 21:28:45

What I ment with the ground leg on the pot was donŽt conect it to same ground as the rca terminals are conected to. Sorry if that was miss-understood Embarrassed
IŽd check for solder brigdes first and like the good doctor sugested Grin if you have the ground running to the ground of the rca inputs or out puts then I sugest isolaiting the rcaŽs from the chassy and star grounding the ground leg. Lastly IŽd try turning the rca interconects around or trying a differnt pair  :) this could be the sorce talking over the ground through the interconects ???

« Last Edit: 03/31/06 at 21:34:40 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
dr._sleep
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/06 at 02:45:09

Sorry jec off, I should have mentioned that the solder terminals are consided on top in my example.  

Besides how could you solder them with the terminals underneath?

Just a joke, from an A** Hole.  Besides, with DIY tubes you'll need a sense of humor, because we can screw up some very basics once and awhile.  At least I have.

love, dr_sleep

P.S. Rap you are even confusing my dumb ass.

« Last Edit: 04/01/06 at 02:46:55 by dr._sleep »  
  IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/06 at 10:03:00

Yeh sorry about that I some times rush in with advice and type so fast half the advice gets left out then IŽm out the door Embarrassed Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print