Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/29/14 at 01:48:51

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MY IMPERIAL LOOKS BLAND (Read 6113 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Re: MY IMPERIAL LOOKS BLAND
Reply #15 - 03/26/06 at 13:49:55

Quote:
Oh, big_geoff what horn have you used on the top?

Well, you see, when i was buidling my imperial, it was towards the end of last summer, when money was running low because i was working less and school was comming up and i had spent a lot on the 6 damn sheets of mdf and the two 15's used in constructing my imperial. So i just picked up one of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-225 (it was cheep and would hopefuly get the job done until i got more money again... the new girlfriend 6 months ago helped drain my money once again, :'() I believe i got this horn with it http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-099. I'm not too sure if its a good horn/driver or not, i just needed something at the time to pick up some HFs. It sounds fine to me, although i havent listened to better horns than this. I was planning on possibly purchasing a better driver in the next few months and making a wooden horn for it. Or i might just put all of my money (once again) towards another imperial. :-*

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/26/06 at 16:47:26

Big G,

That's the driver I've been using for our Imperials.  Pretty rugged for the price and sounds decent.  May not qualify as audiophile grade, but it has served us well for our PA application.  I did overdrive one and cause the voice coil to come unglued from the diaphram, but a little superglue actually fixed it and it's still going strong.  I don't expect that to last, but for the price I actually have an entire backup driver ready to go.

I mated that driver to the bi-radial horn (baby butt-cheek) that selenium sells.  They used to offer them as a package with a 12 db passive cross-over.  Like I said, not a bad driver for the money.  I'd be interested to hear about your results if you mate that driver to some bigger, home-built horns.

Jim P

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/26/06 at 20:20:01

Just out of interest what frequencies have you guys crossed over at? I didnt realise the imperial had such a wide freq range.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/27/06 at 21:49:46

I run the 15 speakers in the imperial full range.  I played with the high pass filter for the horn until it sounded right.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/27/06 at 23:42:57

I did the same and was very pleased with the results Cheesy

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/28/06 at 00:16:35

The tweeter horn I used crosses over at 2K Hz so I rolled off the woofer with an inductor at a little lower frequency due to a peak in the woofer at 2-3K Hz.  They blended well.  The half imperials I built I used a Dayton Pro passive crossover at 1600 Hz (12 db/octave) and I equalize the crossover region down a bit to protect the tweeter and make it sound better.  Not the best solution, but one that has worked quite well.  Someday we'll buy active crossovers and a few more amps and do it right.

Jim P

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/23/06 at 17:55:14

if the imperial does get moved a lot, then i would consider covering the outside with automotive carpet, and putting metal corner guards on over it, then painting the horn mouth flat black.  This will make it look VERY Pro, and add some acoustic dampening as well.  The only downside is that carpets generally a tad more pricey then paint, but then maybe not as much as rhino lining.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print