10/31/14 at 22:44:01

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp-preamp proximity (Read 1218 times)
rmt
Ex Member

Amp-preamp proximity
03/06/06 at 20:28:31

Does the distance between a CS and CSP affect the noise or possible hum levels of the gear?  I thought I read somewhere on this board that putting them too close together might create problems.  Nonsense or possible?

IP Logged
Doug_C.
Ex Member

Re: Amp-preamp proximity
Reply #1 - 04/06/06 at 20:12:54

Technically I wouldn't think close together would be a problem as long as you can keep interconnects and speaker cables away from the transformers and power cables. Speaker cables can be a challenge to route if you sit the two side by side. I use bare ends on my speaker cables so they come directly out each side of the amp.

When I first received my CSP I had problems with hum. I hooked it up in a tempory location off to the side of my other gear initially. Tried 3 sets of interconnects, cheater plugs, different outlets, disconnected all other equipment and no change.

I was about to give up when I rearranged all my gear to make a permanet space for the CSP and for some reason the hum was gone? Hook-ups were the same, same cables just a different location, go figure? Does not make sense but needless to say I have not touched a thing since.

My CS sits on top of my Direct TV receiver which sits on a floor amp stand. My CSP sits on top of my DVD player which is on a second floor amp stand directly in front of the other units. This arrangement worked out good for me since I'm running the output of the CSP out the back into the front input jacks on the CS.

How do you like your RF-7's with the Decware Gear?

Doug C.

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Re: Amp-preamp proximity
Reply #2 - 04/08/06 at 21:39:29

[quote author=Doug_C.  link=1141680511/0#1 date=1144350774]How do you like your RF-7's with the Decware Gear?
Doug C. [/quote]

Thanks for the comments.  I originally posed this question when I found that my 1/2 meter DSRiis did not reach as far as I thought they would so I had to put the CS and CSP close together. I prefer to hook up to the front inputs on the CS and its a long way from the back of the CSP. I have not noticed any additional hum so I guess I am ok.

I bought the RF-7s for getting loud with the Select because I was not sure how powerful 2 watts would be. The RF-7s certainly do get loud. The Klipsch are very excellent speakers but I now consider them the weakest link in my music listening.

I discovered that loud was overated when so much fidelity and content was possible at low volumes with the Select. So I expect to buy a pair of MGs or Nibbelins NFx before the end of the year.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print