Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/28/14 at 23:38:56

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
CSP owners: amount of hum? (Read 9166 times)
selmerdave
Ex Member

Re: CSP owners: amount of hum?
Reply #30 - 04/05/06 at 12:41:16

[quote author=chrish  link=1141610739/15#29 date=1144236648]From what I've read the 6922/6DJ8 type were not made for audio originally so that noise was not a parameter that was looked at closely when it was developed. [/quote]

I know they're often used in oscilloscopes, but the Marantz Model 9 was also developed around them around the time they were introduced, and it's fair to say that it's been one of the most popular tubes for hifi since, period.  I doubt that would be the case if chronic noise problems were common.  FWIW none of mine are anything but dead silent.

Dave

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 04/05/06 at 13:09:19

[quote author=chrish  link=1141610739/15#29 date=1144236648]Hello Mr. C

I had initial problems with my CSP being hungry.  Trying to find quiet NOS tubes was not easy.  Also, a rectifier was lost due to a powering up, or maybe it was down, something that I did screwy or out of sequence.  After trying two pairs of noisy Bugle Boys, I found some Matsushita 6922s that were quiet and I like the sound.  Also, in the front position, a bugle boy that was quiet, developed a hum in one channel.  A humble Ei 6DJ8 sounds good there and is quiet. From what I've read the 6922/6DJ8 type were not made for audio originally so that noise was not a parameter that was looked at closely when it was developed. The last time that I tried the stock JJ 6922 tubes, IIRC, one or more were noisy.  I went back and reread this paragraph of the CSP manual…..

Remember, with any tube product, it is WISE to have a complete set of spare tubes on hand. Anytime there is a problem with tube gear it is 9 out of 10 times a tube. If you have spare tubes you can easily trouble shoot it yourself. While not common, tubes can go bad for no reason, or get noisy—especially N.O.S. tubes. Be careful when spending tons of money on N.O.S. tubes that originally only cost a few dollars when they were new.

All the best

CH
[/quote]

Hmmm... Interesting. I an just not sure what up with mine. It has gone thru 9 tubes in 3 months, a bit out of the ordanary I would say. But thanks for your observations. Part of the problem now is that I am happy with the very short signal path that I have. I have the IC's soldered straight to the board of the Charlize, and I am not sure if I want to intrduce another component, and set of IC's back into my system. Frankly I just dont know what to do about it. Cry

Mr C

« Last Edit: 04/05/06 at 13:10:13 by barfind »  
  IP Logged
chrish
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 04/05/06 at 17:42:39

Hello Dave

I am certainly no tube expert and had origianlly hesitated to even say anything with all of the knowledgeable folks around here.  I read that on the Brent Jesse website, audiotubes.com - which does not mean it is true, as we all know!

My experiance with the noisy tubes was with one of the well known tube sellers (NOT Brent Jesse).  I was trying to buy used tested for noise and microphonics 6DJ8s.  After sveral attempts and exchages we both gave up on it.  It was a money issue with me not wanting to spend the big money on tubes.  After postage back and forth a few times, NOS would have cost the same!

Regards
Chris

IP Logged
chrish
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 04/05/06 at 17:48:11

Mr C

If Charlize does it for you that way...though I would be curious if the CSP would enhance her sweet voice.  I know with the Taboo the CSP is a must have.  

BTW, I've spent many a late night with Charlize's sister Monica.

Regards
Chris

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 04/06/06 at 00:21:32

Chris,

Please make no mistake, I am NOT claiming to be particularly knowledgeable, nor was I intending to "shoot down" your comments.  I think the tone of my response left a little to be desired.  I find it hard to believe given the history that the 6dj8 is an inherently noisy tube, but that may well be the result of my lack of knowledge.  Sorry to hear about your experience, one of the drags about tubes.

Dave

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/06/06 at 01:38:50

Hey guys,

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/138/6/6922.pdf

Notice the part about it being designed as a LOW NOISE tube.

Cheers,                        Bill                :D

IP Logged
chrish
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 04/06/06 at 01:53:55

No problem Dave.  I did not take your comment as a shoot down.  

I did not want to come across like I had the only right opinion about the 6DJ8.  Being only a year into this tube thing my knowledge is quite humble.  

Funny this came up here, Audio Asylum (tubes/DIY) has a 6DJ8 discussion going on now. Interesting things they are. I don't know exactly how they work, but my tube shelf is filling up!

Best Regards
Chris

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/06/06 at 06:10:44

[quote author=chrish  link=1141610739/30#33 date=1144255691]Mr C

If Charlize does it for you that way...though I would be curious if the CSP would enhance her sweet voice.  I know with the Taboo the CSP is a must have.  

BTW, I've spent many a late night with Charlize's sister Monica.

Regards
Chris   [/quote]

Chris, I used the CSP with the Charlize only very breifly. It certainly sounded OK, but the Charlize was only about 10 hours old when the CSP becided it wanted to rest again. Since then Charlize has got sweeter and sweeter, and I fear it has given the CSP its marching orders  :P

Mr C

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 04/16/06 at 10:18:30

Hey my CSP doesn't hum, doesn't eat tubes, doesn't even make a noise. I put some new tubes in and "nothing", "nudder".
All the tubes light up but there  ain't no sound. Bummer , I wanted to try this DAC out to, but it needs a pre . This maybe the first tube anchor Cry  :'(

Mr C

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/16/06 at 13:08:01

Mr. C, sorry to hear that. I haven't experienced the hum problem. Have you thought about sending it to Steve? I just sent my CSP in for him to take a look at it. Not sure what's going on with it but it sure is sounding a bit strange (sound distorts and soundstage is collapsed). I'm hoping it's something minor. My source output voltage did change so I'm having Steve adjust the pre for me.

- Ray

« Last Edit: 04/17/06 at 12:57:24 by rayd »  
  IP Logged
9anda1f
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/17/06 at 03:51:14

Mr C:  A few general words from a relative newby to valve amplification, Decware, and these forums.  IMHO (I finally figured out what that meant!), Steve Deckert has built an oasis of information and community around his high quality designs and cost effective products.  The Decware website alone is a shining jewel.  The Decware forums are the best thought-out, user friendly, and information packed (not to mention highly entertaining) meeting place I've ever seen on the web.  Steve encourages the exchange of information and ideas throughout his website (just his white papers alone are worth their weight), these forums, and almost unbelievably, Steve encourages "we the customer" to call him on the phone, anytime, for assistance with his products!  This is unheard of anywhere else.

I feel as if I've found a home.  I spend significant time reading these forums, researching Steve's white papers, and occasionally, posting a question.  Steve has provided us with an electronic community, the likes of which I've never found "out there in the world".  

To get to my point, although I can certainly understand your frustration with the CSP, I am having some trouble understanding why you haven't taken advantage of Steve's generosity and committment by working with him through the multiple tools he's provided and placed at our disposal.  Call him up!  I'm confident that he and all of Decware will work with you to troubleshoot your CSP at home, or arrange with you to have it examined and repaired at the factory.  

Why am I so confident?  Like I said, I've been reading these forums.  There are uncountable instances of similar assistance, and ultimately satisfactory solutions.  I perceive community here.  There's a reason for that.  A community like this doesn't "just happen".  There is an underlying understanding that something special is happening here.  There is a huge expertise, both within Decware and within the Decware Forum community as a whole.  

Your comments seem to indicate that due to a hardware failure of some sort, your CSP has become a "tube anchor".  But we all know that hardware fails (but why does software merely require maintenance???).  Persistence, assistance, and enlightenment will solve any hardware problem.  All are available from Steve and from these forums.  Have hope.  We'll all chip in, Steve included, to help you get your CSP back into shape.  

Happy Easter!   Smiley

9anda1f

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 04/17/06 at 12:52:48

Mr C, no farting in the direction of the punch bowl Lips Sealed Wink

IP Logged
chrish
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 04/17/06 at 13:43:22

Mr C, Fuse?

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 04/17/06 at 22:18:45

Mr C - I understand and sympathise with your plight. I lve in the UK and the hassle and cost involved in sending a broken item transatlantic and back is a real pain. However, I can say that Steve's technical support and guarantee is excellent. The transformer of my ZSLA1 went into meltdown and I sent the item back and it was turned around and back on my door step within a very short time. I don't remember the actual details but it was something like 10 - 14 days. He must have replaced my trannie and reparcelled within a day or 2. I encourage you to call him and talk you through some trouble shooting procedures first.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 04/18/06 at 06:07:48

Well Guys, what can I say? Thanks for thinking of me.  ;D I am not worried about this though. I know the CSP has a  "Lifetime" warrenty, so I have a bit of time up my sleeve. I have no doutb Steve will make  good with it, and I would be a fool to think anything else.   Smiley I was only using these forums like every one else, to report what going on with our gear. If we are having trouble with a component this is always the best place to come Cheesy I will ring Steve, but I may as well have a look inside and see if I can see anything.
Again thanks  :D

Mr C

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print