12/18/14 at 21:56:55

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSLA-1 vs. CSP (Read 1385 times)
nodiak
Ex Member

ZSLA-1 vs. CSP
02/26/06 at 17:49:06

Given the difference in gain of CSP vs. no gain of ZSLA-1, is there a noticeable sound character difference? Any other noticeable differences? They are both designed as "B" type pre's in Steve's writings, so I thought to some degree they may be ~ related.
I have a zsla-1 coming to mate with non tube amp (gainclone) in hopes to give it some tube atmosphere.
Thanks, Don

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Re: ZSLA-1 vs. CSP
Reply #1 - 02/28/06 at 01:04:46

Hello Don,

I've got a ZSLA-1 Sig., and all I can say is that it's the most detailed, transparent, open preamp I've ever heard, and I've heard some of the best. I don't think it can get better if you can live with the loss of gain.

You made a GREAT CHOICE.  

Happy listening,                 Bill               Cheesy

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/06 at 02:22:10

I'll bet the ZSLA sounds terrific, but I'd also be willing to bet there is a noticeable difference in character between the ZSLA and the CSP.

I couldn't live without the CSP, but if it helps, my setup has never needed the extra gain. Also fwiw, I like having it just in case.

Perhaps time to give Decware a call.

Karl

IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/06 at 05:39:19

Thanks for the replies. Steve finished the repair and it's heading this way.
Bill that is good to hear as i wanted a very simple pre without going passive. I expect to learn alot from using it. The current gc I have has 50 humongous watts and will likely end up elsewhere (sub, or shop system) as I'm using 96 db speakers and can't open it up past 1/4. I'm still wandering the dark side trying a Charlize (10 watts) next.
I have begun going to the Taboo page daily...last year I gave up on beloved Zen C as it wouldn't drive R 1.5's, but in a 24 x 30 x 12 room (3x vol. of 16x 20 room). Now in a smaller room 90% of vol. of 16 x 20,  6 - 10 watts should do it. Didn't you uber deluxe mod your zsla-1? Maybe I would change a cap here and there someday after I listen to it awhile.
Karl, yes the extra gain of the csp is some insurance for sure, and if I go 6watts I may desire it. I agree there must be some characer difference  between the 2, but still sharing a main portion of Decware signature. I'm wondering how it will feel to hear a Decware again, never could clear the C from my memory.
Also I am stuck on ob's now and so need bass speakers, therefore elctr. xo...amp...cables... But have a craving for a one amp system without so much wiring and boxes. Keeping an eye out for compromises, unsure if i will this audio season as I'm "exploring" so much.
Don...another prodigal audio son?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print