12/22/14 at 20:43:34

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE34I vs. Taboo (Read 2179 times)
Doorman
Ex Member

SE34I vs. Taboo
02/26/06 at 16:54:01

I'm sure all this has been gone over before, probably done to death actually! However, as I can't seem to find it on a search: can anyone give their impressions of the Taboo compared to the SE34I? -original version
 Sometimes I'd like a little more grunt, but I'd hate to give up(much of) the transparency of my Select-EX. This because I enjoy building speakers, and a bit more flexibility would allow other possibilities.                        
                                                     Thanks, Don

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: SE34I vs. Taboo
Reply #1 - 04/28/06 at 23:23:56

From a speaker building standpoint the SE34I.2 or the original SE34I would be a better evaluation tool.  It would give you a better representation of how your speakers would sound and perform in the real world.  The taboo with it's exotic feedback scheme has a higher potential to not like certain speakers, whereas the Integrated would remain stable in any situation.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/29/06 at 02:09:41

Thanks, Steve!

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/29/06 at 02:11:59

Thanks Steve: Your remark re: the Taboo makes sense
                                                           Don

IP Logged
kulers
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/06 at 08:26:59

was intrested to know what you think of running the zen select amps as monoblocks, and any speaker recomendations?

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/06 at 13:43:30

I've  been  running  a  pair  of  Selects  as  monos  for almost  5 years now.

I've  used them on:
90db   Von Schweikert Research 4.5s
100db  Klipsch Cornwalls
and  96db  Decware  HDTs w/an Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter and a  Sunfire True  SW added.

The bridged  Selects were  not  enough  power(to my liking)  with the  VR4.5s. Very  satisfying at  lower/mid  volumes on acoustic, jazz,  chamber  music, etc...  On heavy  rock,  complex  classical  pieces, they  couldn't keep  up.

On the  Klipsch,  there was  power to  spare.  That  combination would get  far  louder than I  ever listen at on all types of  music. The  Klipsch were a  little  too efficient  and  too big  for my  room. I  could  never  get  the  right  imaging and  soundstage I  desired.

With the  HDTs, it is a  match  made in heaven.  I  very  rarely  find  myself  wishing  for  more  power. It  does  happen, but  is  very, very, rare. I  have  the  sub  crossed right  around  40db, and  the  gain  set at  0db. It  fills in nicely in the  lower  band,  while  leaving the  HDT  to  deliver  excellent , real,  mid-bass.  The  imaging  and  soundstage are  simply  sublime.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print