04/23/14 at 11:03:19

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Select vs. Taboo (Read 6702 times)
JDW
Ex Member

Select vs. Taboo
02/25/06 at 14:48:52

Been entertaining the thought of getting a Taboo. Wondered if I can get some insight from those that own or have heard both in a system. Had my eye on those SE34 monobloc's but I don't think they are made anymore, are they?

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Re: Select vs. Taboo
Reply #1 - 02/25/06 at 15:28:02

Steve will still make the Monoblocks, they're just considered custom amps now, not production amps.  (Which may be good, get a custom amp. . . has an allure!)  I have these and love them.  

I've had the Select and the Monoblocks are very close in sound to my ears on my Radials.  But there's a lot more power.  I think a lot depends on your speaker choices.  The Taboo will drive diffrent speakers very well I think than the Select. . . . I'll watch as others pipe in on this thread.

Seems to me if you really like your speakers a C or a Select would be the choices. (The C may be ultimately more musical as it's a bit more forgiving in comparison to the very revealing Select).

« Last Edit: 02/25/06 at 15:31:02 by Lon »  
  IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/06 at 16:51:34

Like Lon said, the biggest advantage of a Taboo (other than more power ofcourse) is it can drive speakers from 4-16 ohms range.

I own both Taboo and CS. In the midrange they are head to head. Imaging and sound stage, Taboo has a slight edge IMO. Taboo also has advantage at the bottom end.

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/06 at 03:02:57

I love my CS. Even replaced the grid stop resistors with 330 Ohm Tantalum's as well as the ones on the power tubes. Made a noticable improvement (with SelmerDave's help, thanks again) but I have a very wide range of music. From Classical to Jazz to some experimental and sometimes some hard driving freeform fusion stuff. 2 watts doesn't always satisfy when the recording is begging to be turned up. Having the Parker 95's (built by Mullman) helps a lot but...that's why I built the Buschhorns, which are awaiting the drivers, thinking I'd like to drive them with something with a little more guts. Hopefully something single-ended. It's hard to go back to Push-Pull once you've tasted SET's. I remember hearing Mullman's Buschhorns and his SE34I, the sound was quite impressive. Might be selling my CS soon, and the Parker's, hmm...Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/06 at 11:35:19

Don't sell the CS yet!
Mod it!

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/06 at 13:10:02

Can you elaborate more on the "Uber-Mod" for me? Still 2 watts? The FE's are 8 ohm yes?

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/06 at 15:13:12

[quote author=mullman  link=1140882532/0#4 date=1140953719]Don't sell the CS yet!
Mod it! [/quote]

Smiley

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/06 at 20:52:53

Well my Buschhorns are up and running. I think these will be my speaker of choice. A different presentation from the Parkers. I think a Taboo would love these.

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/02/06 at 23:05:24

If you like the B-Horns with 103's,  you should try the 126's .  It'll l take some grinding to fit, so there's no easy going back - but I think you'll notice a huge improvement in sensitivity and bass output.

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/06 at 23:09:24

Thanks Chrisby,

I was just visiting The Hornshoppe website. Looks like he's using Blu Tack to damp the basket. Would I replace my Acoustafil with that little piece of foam?

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/03/06 at 01:58:51

My modded B'horns are currently sporting a pair of FE126E's. The added sensitivity with the Select is nice, the bass seems a bit more balanced than with the FE108EZ's. But either the 108's or the 126's will really make those horns sing!

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/03/06 at 21:41:35

[quote author=JDW  link=1140882532/0#9 date=1141340964] Thanks Chrisby,

I was just visiting The Hornshoppe website. Looks like he's using Blu Tack to damp the basket. Would I replace my Acoustafil with that little piece of foam? [/quote]

One of several differences between the B'horns and Ed's is the size/shape of the CC, so it's not a sure thing that the single layer of foam would do the trick - but it can't hurt to play with it.

it can never hurt to play with your horn

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/04/06 at 01:00:47

I found the CS is slightly "warmer", TABOO is slightly "leaner".  Overall I like the TABOO better for 1) ability to drive most speakers better with more bass and headroom - unless you have 100+db efficient speakers, and 2) it sounds more like "live" music with the removal of that slight triode bloom.

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/06 at 22:37:34

What are you're impressions of the Taboo with and w/o the CSP Gnat leader?

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 23:52:17

Okay Mullman,

I'm going to wait until the FE126's come for my B'Horns and see (or is that hear) what happens. If I'm not completely satisfied, my CS may be posted for sale. BTW, my cat was no where near the amp. There is a back order at Madisound for the 126 drivers. The Decware forum strikes again. Ha!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print