10/25/14 at 04:09:20

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New CSP (Read 2887 times)
rmt
Ex Member

New CSP
02/19/06 at 03:51:53

I just thought I should report on my new CSP. †To start with the music seems to have more layers to it. There is stuff in there i have never heard before. †I can hear separate voices in background vocals I never noticed before. †The instruments are more defined and the bass lines punch through songs with a distinction not present before the CSP. Main vocals get a lift and presence that is even more like they are in the room. I am quite pleased with the addition in my system. Overall the music has more weight and impact. The CS by itself was really nice, but the CSP drives it to a higher level. †;D

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Re: New CSP
Reply #1 - 02/19/06 at 03:53:42

absolutely!

Karl

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/06 at 04:01:38

I agree with everything too. I have upgraded the caps to sonicaps which takes the CSP to even higher level.  :)

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/06 at 06:27:28

You didnít use a preamp with your Select prior to this, did you?

Iíve thought of using the CSP too but I need to ask you. In terms or soundstage width and depth, how is it with and without? Many have reported that the Select alone has a larger soundstage overall but yes, the CSP offered more weight and impact.

I found that with my AVA Preamp, the soundstage grew even larger and that the layering of instruments from front and back are more defined. Weight and bass isnít necessarily stronger, but certainly tighter and more focused. The AVA has a much stronger output (mV) then the average preamp. I confirmed this with several past AVA T7 owners who immediately agreed that the preamp drove their amps to greater degree. This is something Steve D says the CSP does. Itís a beautiful match for a flea powered amp like the Select.

Iíve wondered how much more weight I could pick up with a CSP over my AVA T7 SLR, if any at all.

Unfortunately, the CSP is somewhat problematic for me. It doesnít have a headphone section, nor a phono section and it also doesnít have enough inputs. All of which I can make due without but at additional cost that may just not be justifiable.

Thanks!

IP Logged
boead
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/19/06 at 06:28:00

[quote author=Sam in USA  link=1140324713/0#2 date=1140321698]I agree with everything too. I have upgraded the caps to sonicaps which takes the CSP to even higher level.  :) [/quote]

What about the tubes?

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/19/06 at 16:35:28

[quote author=boead  link=1140324713/0#3 date=1140330448]You didnít use a preamp with your Select prior to this, did you?
[/quote]

I have tried my all-purpose Rotel preamp I use for my phonograph. I did hear a difference in the spacing and separation of the music parts. However, the whole soundstage became thin and repressed like it was covered with a blanket.

So I could tell that a pre-amp did have a positive effect but the Rotel gear I was using gave up way too much of the Zen openess and depth. †I was encouraged enough by some of the improvement that it was easy to understand that the correct preamp match could do what I wanted. Obviously the CSP was designed to be that system synergy and it delivers.

I have gone back and re-listened to some of the CDs that I did not particularly like of their quality and have found enough improvement in their sound through the CSP to put back in the play list. †:D †Could be the tube buffer thing going on between my Dec685 and Select. I suppose that adding a Zbox will gain even more improvement in CD listening.

??? What's next, Zbox or Nibbelin NFxs? †I also have to wonder as good as my old beater Yamaha TT and cheap cartidge sound with that Rotel driving it, how much better will my vinyl sound with some good equipment?

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/19/06 at 17:01:36

[quote author=rmt  link=1140324713/0#5 date=1140366928]

??? What's next, Zbox or Nibbelin NFxs?  I also have to wonder as good as my old beater Yamaha TT and cheap cartidge sound with that Rotel driving it, how much better will my vinyl sound with some good equipment? [/quote]

Try the Zbox.  ;D

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/19/06 at 18:50:56

[quote author=boead  link=1140324713/0#4 date=1140330480]

What about the tubes? [/quote]

Russian military 6N1P

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/19/06 at 19:41:31

[quote author=Sam in USA  link=1140324713/0#7 date=1140375056]

Russian military 6N1P [/quote]

I too am using a Russian military 6n1p on my CSP in the front position. Got it from DrN.

The CSP came with three 6n1ps from Decware. I was surprised at that as I was expecting a 6922 with the package.  If I replace anything it will be the side 6n1ps

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/20/06 at 01:11:05

[quote author=boead  link=1140324713/0#3 date=1140330448]Iíve thought of using the CSP too but I need to ask you. In terms or soundstage width and depth, how is it with and without? Many have reported that the Select alone has a larger soundstage overall but yes, the CSP offered more weight and impact.

Unfortunately, the CSP is somewhat problematic for me. It doesnít have a headphone section, nor a phono section and it also doesnít have enough inputs. All of which I can make due without but at additional cost that may just not be justifiable.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I think the soundstage has improved too with the CSP. †So to my ears at least I am getting both weight and dimension.

I still have my SS preamp in the mix. †I use one input of the CSP directly from my Dec685. †The other input I use from the output from a Decware switch box. †The switch box has inputs from a number of sources including my SS preamp. I use the inputs on the SS amp for a number of sources including my TT, †and also the regular ouputs of my Dec 685 so I can use headphones. I use the analog 5.1 L/R front outputs for SACD into the switch box.

My point is that you can use the CSP in your mix direct for your preferred source and still employ your feature filled preamp for headphones, TT, etc. †The flexibility of numerous option is is all there with a Switch box or just hooking your regular preamp into an input of the CSP. †You don't have to give up anything.

« Last Edit: 02/20/06 at 01:12:48 by rmt »  
  IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/21/06 at 16:14:18

[quote author=Sam in USA  link=1140324713/0#2 date=1140321698]I agree with everything too. I have upgraded the caps to sonicaps which takes the CSP to even higher level. †:) [/quote]
How many, and what value does your CSP use?  
On an earlier thread I noticed at least three variations, and wonder about configuration or circuit changes that have evolved.
In other words, should I replace the caps with same values or???
Robert  :)

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/21/06 at 17:17:24

[quote author=serenechaos  link=1140324713/0#10 date=1140538458]
How many, and what value does your CSP use? †
On an earlier thread I noticed at least three variations, and wonder about configuration or circuit changes that have evolved.
In other words, should I replace the caps with same values or???
Robert †:) † [/quote]

My CSP had:
2 .47uF Daytons (black color)
2 0.1uF Tracons (green chiclets)

I replaced them with Sonicap Gen I of same value, and then bypassed them with Sonicap Gen II .01uFs †:)

Soinaps are extremely transparent (It's almost nonexistant), (but musical at the same time) so you need a good digital source. †:)

« Last Edit: 02/21/06 at 17:19:07 by zydecos »  
  IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/26/06 at 03:36:49

Boead,

With my CSP, the sound was just minutely less transparent. I didn't notice a smaller soundstage or less depth. What I did notice was a fuller bodied sound with more 'weight' if you will. Which helps when you only have 2 watts. The CSP also helps by making the CS a little more forgiving. Not significantly, but enough to take the edge off of inferior recordings, which, being a CS owner, you are aware of. The CSP really does compliment the CS.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/26/06 at 05:01:19

[quote author=JDW  link=1140324713/0#12 date=1140925009]Boead,

With my CSP, the sound was just minutely less transparent. I didn't notice a smaller soundstage or less depth. What I did notice was a fuller bodied sound with more 'weight' if you will. Which helps when you only have 2 watts. The CSP also helps by making the CS a little more forgiving. Not significantly, but enough to take the edge off of inferior recordings, which, being a CS owner, you are aware of. The CSP really does compliment the CS. [/quote]

Exactly my observations, as well (as posted in other threads). The teensiest loss in transparence with the CSP was miniscule considering the immense gain in musicality.

This was the most pronounced, incidentally, with cd playback, but easily heard with vinyl, also. Overall timbral accuracy/naturalness seems much better with the CSP. Piccolos sound more like they ought to, for example.

Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print