Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/26/14 at 00:12:42

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Increase DB Sealed Chamber : AFTERMATH (Read 12531 times)
biju
Ex Member

Increase DB Sealed Chamber : AFTERMATH
02/18/06 at 17:14:34

Nooooob here.

Just stumbled upon this site as I'm doing research for my system redesign in my Isuzu VehiCROSS.

After considering several types of enclosures, this one intrigued me the most.  I'm planning on using two DB's, running MTX's T8510-44 model subs, powered by an oldschool PPI a1200.

I'm a big fan of SQ, and even a bigger fan of low/tight/clean bass - however, granted I'm using 10's, I know I won't get the same low output as, say, 15's...  With that said, has anybody who's build the DB attempted to increase the volume of the sealed chamber by lengthening the enclosure (say, maybe a few inches beyond what the plans call for) in an attempt to get the subs to hit a tad lower?  I realize this will be a trade off of power, so I'm not too worried about that...  I'm just curious as to what increasing the sealed chamber would do the end result?  Would it cancel out or defeat all the technology/sizing/calculations that went into making the DB a great design?

Thanks all.

-biju.

« Last Edit: 04/23/06 at 01:51:26 by biju »  
  IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Increase DB Sealed Chamber?
Reply #1 - 02/19/06 at 07:23:34

not sure about increasing the sealed chamber. but you can try plyfill to make it appear larger

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/06 at 04:53:18

If you have built the original to plans, and moving the insert all the way up to the near the top of the port makes it sound better and better, I would go for adding stuffing, if that makes it sound even better, you could easily make the box larger.

I would test carefully, perhaps go in steps:
Move insert all the way up.
add stuffing
sounds good increase box length 20-30%
add more stuffing to new box
sounds good increase chamber size again.

I don't know of many tens that require a larger box than that of the deathbox can offer.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/20/06 at 04:53:57

Basically, if you think it will help, go for it.  Testing is what makes these things happen in the first place.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/23/06 at 06:34:46

[quote author=biju  link=1140286475/0#0 date=1140282874]Nooooob here.

Just stumbled upon this site as I'm doing research for my system redesign in my Isuzu VehiCROSS.

After considering several types of enclosures, this one intrigued me the most.  I'm planning on using two DB's, running MTX's T8510-44 model subs, powered by an oldschool PPI a1200.

I'm a big fan of SQ, and even a bigger fan of low/tight/clean bass - however, granted I'm using 10's, I know I won't get the same low output as, say, 15's...  With that said, has anybody who's build the DB attempted to increase the volume of the sealed chamber by lengthening the enclosure (say, maybe a few inches beyond what the plans call for) in an attempt to get the subs to hit a tad lower?  I realize this will be a trade off of power, so I'm not too worried about that...  I'm just curious as to what increasing the sealed chamber would do the end result?  Would it cancel out or defeat all the technology/sizing/calculations that went into making the DB a great design?

Thanks all.

-biju.
[/quote]

i have done exactly that with a db trying to get the lowest of the low end, you could do it and if you dont like it its easy to cut the box down to normal size? i couldnt tell the difference in sound between the origional and the slightly longer version.

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/06 at 16:18:29

Well,

I've got one built. Lengthy process the first time, figuring out the assembly and making sure the wood cuts are precise!  Now I just need the other one built.  

I did make the sealed chamber larger, but only by one inch.  Not that big of a deal I suppose.  We'll see how it sounds (haven't hooked it up yet, as I'm building the amprack, etc., at the same time...)

I was always baffled by a sentence in the box instructions regarding the half moon:

"(Don't forget to add 3/4" when finding the center)"

LOL - I had to learn the hard way what that meant!!!  ::)

I'll post more when finished.

-biju.

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/06 at 01:23:23

Whew...  

The second box is built and the anticipation to hear them perform is growing:

Granted I haven't powered them up yet, I'm pretty happy thus far.  Both turned out great from a build perspective and appear to be extremely sturdy.  I'm glad I added the extra inch in length as these 10's do displace a good amount of volume.  I think I touched every power tool in my arsenal building them: table saw, jig, plunge router, belt sander, drill, etc., etc...  Felt great!

Now I focus my attention on the amp rack build.

I'll post more as I progress...

-biju.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/06 at 07:28:38

it looks like a great build...
don't forget to round the edges on the half-moon...3/8" radius

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/06 at 12:43:31

Thanks, Adrian...  

It's hard to tell, but the half-moon was rounded off with a router using a 1/4 bit.  That's all I had.  I'll probably do some more hand sanding before all's finished...

By the way, I did take your advice (as well as others) and purchased some acousta-stuf from partsexpress...  That should arrive this week. Hopefully that will assist...

Question though...  I don't find too many pictures on this forum that I could refer to, and was wondering what people use (other than plain 'speaker carpet'  :() to finish their boxes? So far the only option that seems remotely appealing to me is some sort of laminate...  Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

-biju.

IP Logged
rock4016
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/06 at 16:01:15

I sprayed mine with the dark grey/black flexstone paint, makes it look like dark granite... I'll see if I can find pics.

You could also try mounting the sub reversed with the magnet in the ported chamber so see if it helps with the lows.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/21/06 at 16:01:23

Did you see my post?  Its here:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Deathbox;action=display;num=1...

And it shows how I covered the box in leather with some aluminum to cover the edges.  It looks about ten times better in person.

I have my WO covered in leather also, except it has studs holding the leather.  

Kind of S&M box builder now that I look back. LOL

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/21/06 at 16:36:29

J_ROCK,

That's really cool. Somehow I missed it, before. Nice work!
You should take a pic of the S&M/Goth box and drop it in the same thread. Grin

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/23/06 at 14:20:26

Interesting work!  ;D

I like the look of the leather/vinyl. I think I'll order some and give it a try.  If I'm unable to get the vinyl to work I'll then try the laminate.

I took tomorrow (Friday) and this coming Monday off so I can dedicate 4 days to finish the install.  The suspense of how these DB's will sound is killing me...!

Cry

-biju.

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/26/06 at 02:07:03

H O L Y  S H * T ! ! !

THESE BOXES ARE INSANE.

The amp rack I'm building will incorporate the DB's and the PPI's all in one continuous unit. As a result I reached the point where I had to 'tune' the DB's before placement and finishing. Again, read my intro sentence to sum up my findings.  And that was just 'testing', not even remotely turned up... Then again, I suppose I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

These things are superb. Deep, tight, clean, rich and accurate low end all at the same time!!!  So far, I'm one extremely happy DB owner.

Pics and more to follow soon - - - - >

-biju.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/26/06 at 04:18:31

I stopped at 1 Deathbox, its plenty.  I have it trimmed way down.  I can't imagine 2.  

John C.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print