Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/14 at 21:33:24

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Splitting WO32 for stereo pair? (Read 7928 times)
jj420
Ex Member

Re: Splitting WO32 for stereo pair?
Reply #15 - 09/11/06 at 01:13:28

Gex is correct, even if I did know the dimension you asked for (which I dont), it is not mine to give out, Steve charges a nominal fee for the WO32 plans, and nothing for the WO plans on the main site.

For me to tell you this would be for me to breach a trust with a man I have never even had the pleasure of doing business with.  I am not prepared to do this, as I do at one point hope to do business with Decware and would hate to start off on the wrong foot, as it were.

sorry
JJ

IP Logged
Ciscokid
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/11/06 at 01:39:58

Hi JJ,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to bypass purchasing the plans. I simply wanted to know the width of the horn to see if it is close to the width of my Altec’s so that I may stack. If the numbers match or are close, then I will consider purchasing a set of plans for my own consumption. I take it that “Steve Deckert” is the owner of these designs, and if so, then I will ask him directly.

Thanks for you input on this.

Best regards,
Danny

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/11/06 at 03:03:17

I was not sure on what you were asking, I thought you may have been asking for internal dimensions. If it was just the mouth maybe I can help. How big is the mouth on your altec?

If you have to stack subs then the WO32 is not for you,
it belongs on the floor.
the WO is another story.
IMHO only

IP Logged
Ciscokid
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/11/06 at 03:35:12

Hi gexter,

What I have is a pair of Altec Valencia speakers that I would like to augment the bass on by using a subwoofer(s). The Altecs are 26.5 inches wide and 19 inches deep. Because of space concerns, I am looking into building a pair of subs that can also be used as stands for the Altecs. With the WO32’s being a little over 13 inches tall, that would put the Altecs at a better listening level for me plus have subs for the bottom feeding.

My original question dealt with the subject of this thread, the splitting of a wo32. I am basically wondering if the width of a split wo32 is anywhere close to 26.5 inches? If so, then the wo32 is a candidate.

Hope I have not muddied this up more..

Best regards,
Danny

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/11/06 at 13:45:54

but splitting a WO, or WO32 would kill all the magic of this design...

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/11/06 at 15:59:14

Well, the WO 32's width is 32 inches as a complete unit.  16 inches if split directly in half, and somewhere around 22-24 inches if you continue the flare.

I doubt splitting a WO or WO32 will kill the magic of the designs- it will loose some output I would suppose, and the space saving benefit of having the flares combine.  But by splitting either design and continueing the flare, you would get 2 times the horn mouth coupling to the room.

I plan on splitting a 12 inch WO directly down the middle soon.  I will be sure to reply with my findings.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/12/06 at 03:56:10

I would not split WO32, but a WO I would in a blink of a eye.
if your splitting a WO32 it may be a complete waste of time and wind up thinking what a piece of garbage the design is.

J rock I am looking forward to your findings and thanks for taking it on when I can't anymore and no one else has.

« Last Edit: 09/13/06 at 02:44:43 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Ciscokid
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/13/06 at 00:57:52

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1140283155/15#20 date=1157986754]..... somewhere around 22-24 inches if you continue the flare....
[/quote]

Well, if that is the case, then building a box that is 26.5" should work for what I have in mind.

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1140283155/15#20 date=1157986754] But by splitting either design and continueing the flare, you would get 2 times the horn mouth coupling to the room. [/quote]

This is a good thing, right? By splitting the horn and doubling the  horn mouth, what should I expect as far as sound is concerned if the horns are about 10 feet apart?
Regards,
Danny

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/13/06 at 02:25:35

Basically- by splitting the mouth you loose efficiency because the entire mouth works for both flares in the regular single box.  

But to offset that somewhat there will be 2 seperate horns, and depending on how you do it 2 x the coupling area. (2 complete horns-not just split down the middle)

So in my theory, you would have 2 x the coupling area and satelite subs.  Rather then one single unit.  This would be helpful for fill and room nodes and placement.  

However- it is impossible to truly know how the WO32 sharing the last horn bend changes response.  It could be that like JJ said, splitting the design ruins the magik- but I think keeping the flare in tact wouldn't do much- if any- harm.

« Last Edit: 09/13/06 at 02:26:56 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
hannes
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/15/06 at 17:01:24

The "WO32 Frequency Response" thread by goldenk10 could
shed a little light on this: as far as I understood it, he modeled
a single-driver-full-horn-version and verified this with a fully built
WO32 with two drivers. In his experiment, the frequency response
was the same.

Bye,