Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 08:41:45

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print
To say the least, the anticipation is building ... (Read 59681 times)
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Re: To say the least, the anticipation is building
Reply #45 - 03/14/06 at 13:04:51

[quote author=Mr Content  link=1139429263/30#43 date=1142322904]S.O. are these that good? Seems like a lot of work, but if they are good it always worth it.

Mr C [/quote]

Howdy Mr C,

Nice play on words ..... Smiley

And ..... yes, they really are that good. áI have enjoyed the audio hobby for a good number of years, and I can say without hesitation that the SO Imperials add a dimension to the sound that exceeds anything I have ever heard ..... and by a large margin ..... ???

We occasionally hear about a sound system that causes the listening room to "disappear" or that transports us to the recording space. áThe combination of the SO Imperials and Parker Audio Crusaders at the last DecFest accomplished both of those things.

Well worth the effort and the wait .....

Randy

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 03/14/06 at 13:50:25

How do you plan to drive the S.O┤s Randy?

>>mod oop┤s reread the thread and found you┤re answere Smiley<<

« Last Edit: 03/14/06 at 13:53:49 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 03/14/06 at 14:57:59

[quote author=Rap  link=1139429263/45#46 date=1142344225]How do you plan to drive the S.O┤s Randy?

>>mod oop┤s reread the thread and found you┤re answere Smiley<< [/quote]

Howdy Rap,

As you figured out, I plan to drive the Imperials with the Zen Select, in parallel with my 4 ohm 96 db efficient Parker Audio Behemoths. áI also own a pair of The Horns with the new Fostex 126 drivers. áI'm thinking that either speaker will sound great (but quite different) with the Imperials ..... Smiley

The other option would be to power the Imperials with the 100W plate amp that I currently use to power the Parker Audio Trogs or the HornLine.

I guess an argument could be made for either setup. áRunning the Imperials directly from the speaker taps of the Select should preserve any and all low level spatial information in a true stereo configuration. áOf course, the received wisdom indicates that this is not an issue with low frequencies ..... but, I'm not totally convinced of that ..... ???

Using the plate amp to power the Imperials will obviously provide more power and the ability to tailor the volume and crossover frequency, but I'm not really trying to kill any mice ..... so power shouldn't be an issue. áIt would be a stereo signal into the plate amp and a summed signal to the Imperials.

It will be easy enough to try both ways, but I would be curious about the thoughts of the forum readers on this topic .....

Randy

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 03/14/06 at 15:18:58

Thank┤s Randy Smiley

It will look ┤funny to see the tiny zen driving those monsters  :) Very impressive  ;D

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 03/15/06 at 01:44:29

I think that the way you plan on running it off the Zen would be great. providing you have the Imps in the right location..
Your room no doubt is already taken care of.

thats not much but its all I got and no doubt already taken care of.
I wish I was you!  :)

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 03/15/06 at 02:21:26

[quote author=gexter  link=1139429263/45#49 date=1142387069]I think that the way you plan on running it off the Zen would be great. providing you have the Imps in the right location..
Your room no doubt is already taken care of.

thats not much but its all I got and no doubt already taken care of.
I wish I was you! á:) [/quote]

Howdy Gex,

I'm thinking the same ..... the parallel setup directly from the Zen Select produced top shelf sound in Peoria. áIf I get anywhere near the same effect in my room, I will be a happy camper ..... Smiley

My room is 26' x 16' ..... which is one of the many "magic formulas" for room dimensions. áIt would be even better if I had 10' ceilings, but the sound is already very good with the 8' height. áI have some room treatment in place and will be experimenting with more when the Imperials arrive.

As far as wishing you were me ..... be careful what you wish for. áIt might be safer to just wish you would own a pair of SO Imperials in the near future ..... ???

Take care,

Randy

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 03/15/06 at 03:38:06

[quote author=Caintuck Randy  link=1139429263/45#47 date=1142348279]Running the Imperials directly from the speaker taps of the Select should preserve any and all low level spatial information in a true stereo configuration.  Of course, the received wisdom indicates that this is not an issue with low frequencies ..... but, I'm not totally convinced of that ..... ???

It will be easy enough to try both ways, but I would be curious about the thoughts of the forum readers on this topic [/quote]
Hi Randy,
I would like to read your results if you try this both ways.  I have often been curious about that question of the importance of stereo bass.  Also the difference in sonic quality between solid state and tubes down in the lowest registers.  
Great experiment.  I wish you well.
Brian

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 03/15/06 at 04:25:01

Thanks for the info Randy. Sounds interesting. I have 2WO32's, but I am not completly happy with them. I have heard a lot of subs go lower, athought they are fast. I dont know if I will go with IB bass, or try something like the SO.

Mr C

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 03/20/06 at 11:01:19

I've been waiting for this day.  Our friend Randy should be updating this thread.  If we are lucky he might even post some pictures of his project.

Randy is my hero on this forum!

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/20/06 at 11:12:36

[quote author=paulc  link=1139429263/45#53 date=1142852479]
Randy is my hero on this forum! [/quote]

Randy, we know thats you under a different name Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 03/20/06 at 11:13:07 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 03/20/06 at 13:57:43

Hey Rap,

You are correct about me being someone with a different name but I'm not Randy.  I do feel that your comment would be a compliment to me.

Having read nearly every post Randy has made on this forum and met him twice at Steve's, I have the utmost respect for him and his outlook on life and this hobby.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 03/20/06 at 14:54:00

[quote author=paulc  link=1139429263/45#55 date=1142863063] I have the utmost respect for him and his outlook on life and this hobby. [/quote]
Me to Grin
If you have read all of Randys post then you know I like to tease him every now and then Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/20/06 at 14:59:06 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 03/20/06 at 17:55:32

Speaking of teasing ..... ???

My buddy Mike provided a few photos of the work in progress ..... I'm not sure how quickly they will load on everyone's internet connection, so I will split them up.

One down ..... three to go ..... Smiley

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/20/06 at 18:00:01

A nice coffin Grin Did youre friend get ahead of the plans and put batons in the top and bottom first? seem to be some filled in screw holes ???

« Last Edit: 03/20/06 at 18:04:06 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 03/20/06 at 18:08:32

[quote author=Rap  link=1139429263/45#58 date=1142877601]A nice coffin Grin Did youre friend get ahead of the plans and put batons in the top and bottom first? seem to be some filled in screw holes ??? [/quote]

Howdy Rap,

Those holes are for a special type of fastener that he is using ..... strong beyond belief ..... Smiley

Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Send Topic Print