Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 09:12:44

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
To say the least, the anticipation is building ... (Read 58154 times)
Chris K
Ex Member

Re: To say the least, the anticipation is building
Reply #240 - 05/03/06 at 15:17:59

Randy,
You might as well just gear up for early retirement, cause how are you gonna get ANY work done with the sleep you're missing having those SO's in the basement?
I can see it now. Early/Late lunches, napping in your car, delegating IT duties to unqualified underlings, bribing co-workers to cover for you and others running interference for your boss. ???

« Last Edit: 05/03/06 at 15:22:24 by Chris K »  
  IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #241 - 05/03/06 at 19:11:54

I would have loved to see your wife's response when you lugged those monsters in the house Randy.

Well honey, you see, I picked up a great deal on these and they do look nice, don't they?

Kind of like when a new amp came to the door and my wife asked what it was.

I said, an amp. She said, how much did THAT cost? I said $5,000.00 bucks. WHAATTTT !!!!! she screeched.

I said, I am only kidding honey, it was only $500.00. The new amp was a breeze after that.

Rocket_always outside the box_Ronny

« Last Edit: 05/03/06 at 19:39:40 by Rocket_Ronny »  
  IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #242 - 05/04/06 at 02:05:36

Audiophiles must be the most sadly whipped group of hobbiests in the country!

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #243 - 05/04/06 at 03:10:06

[quote author=Brian  link=1139429263/240#242 date=1146704736]Audiophiles must be the most sadly whipped group of hobbiests in the country! [/quote]
NOT ME! Lips Sealed

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #244 - 05/04/06 at 20:51:38

[quote author=Brian  link=1139429263/240#242 date=1146704736]Audiophiles must be the most sadly whipped group of hobbiests in the country! [/quote]
Me either!   Roll Eyes  

I don't know what anyone else’s wives’ response would be, but I'd love to surprise my wife with a pair of SOs!  
I'd bet she'd love 'em; she loves music, has a great ear, and keeps commenting on how the bass "isn't all there."  Even with volume (balance) adjusted too high on the subs, there is a "fullness" and a "feeling" missing...  

Major re-work on the listening room this weekend, then back to building a pair of corner horns, just wish I had room to augment them with a pair of SOs...  
Robert  :)

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #245 - 05/05/06 at 01:15:58

I agree I always found if you bring in the big stuff first anything smaller is a breeze to get through the door.
               Brian

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #246 - 05/05/06 at 15:55:34

How's this for a WAF story. Well actually a date story.

I know a guy who brought home a nice woman on his Suzuki GSR bike. When she walked into his living room her mouth dropped.

Why, because she was beholding flagship Apogee Ribbons, 2 monster bass cabinates larger than the Imperials loaded with 20' Hartley sub woofers, Mark Levinson 33 mono blocks-you know the expensive ones, and a whole bunch else of audio nervana.

Needless to say he did not marry her.

Actually my wife is easy to get along with as well. She has put up with me having spent nearly $30,000.00 on audio in my lifespan, and another $60,000.00 on recording gear. We get along very well. Just no space for Imperials however.

Rocket_Ronny

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #247 - 05/05/06 at 19:48:09

[quote author=Rocket_Ronny  link=1139429263/240#246 date=1146840934]Needless to say he did not marry her. [/quote]
Oh, she didn't like it?  
I was reading the above thinking she might be a music lover & fall in love (with the room, not the dude).   Roll Eyes  

I brought mine home to a couple harley's and an indian in the living room (in various states of running or not),
the other half the room filled w/ piano, synths, recording gear, pa, etc.  
She convinced me low-level playback mignt sound better not blowing through a 1400w pa...
I bought a little zen amp & built a pair of HDTs; she started talking to the tubes & telling me how they "sing differently because they have different personalities."  

I love my wife  ;D
Robert  :)

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Ex Member

Reply #248 - 05/08/06 at 21:03:32

Change Out wrote:
"It was Friday night , at the fest, when Steve disconnected the plate amp from the Parker Crusader woofer and connected the Imperial to a single select. Randy was the first to his feet followed closely by myself. The output of sound was so enormous, not in volume but in width and depth, it was (as Randy describes) palpabale. All I could do was shake my head and change audio directions".

My sediments exactly = I was there.... . The music has a place to go in Steve's words are so true. Steve and Ziggy are humble talented guys to say the least. That damn Zen Select does it all for me... . Congrats Randy, you dawg!!! Change Out=thanks again for the cool shirts at DecFest....and do you have any new pics...maybe I missed them.

Stone of Tone  :)
PS - I wish I had the room for them!  I wonder how small of a room you can put one (1) in? ....I did get wood base for my Select....she looks....goooood!

« Last Edit: 05/08/06 at 21:05:25 by stone_of_tone »  
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #249 - 05/21/06 at 03:12:57

Hey Randy, just thought I'd check in and ask how life with the Imperials is going?  I wish I had some room for those, how are they sounding?  Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #250 - 05/23/06 at 10:34:25

I too have enjoyed this thread. I was interested to read about the effect the SO had on the overall soundstage. It had me wondering about a fullrange imperial, and how big the soundstage would be with them ???

Mr C

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #251 - 05/23/06 at 14:27:35

Howdy Dave and Mr C,

As you might expect, most of my time has been devoted to listening ..... Smiley

Since most of the music I like is not overly heavy in the bass department, Mr C's thoughts about the "overall soundstage" is what I am enjoying most about the SO Imperials ......

It is very easy to get accustomed to the acoustic envelope produced by these speakers.  When they are disconnected from the system, it becomes painfully obvious just how much they add to the overall presentation ..... ???

Of course, if there is any serious bass in the music ..... the SOs reveal it with authority and finesse.

I am steadily working my way through my music collection to see what the Imperials do for various disks and types of music.  So far, the most impressive thing (to me) is the authority added to a Hammond B3 ..... but, I guess that is to be expected ..... Wink

Over the next week or two, the plan is to pair the Imperials with The Horns to see how that combo works out ..... and to power the Imperials with the plate amp.  I am trying hard not to have any preconceptions, but it should be interesting to hear the various combinations.

Several forum readers have expressed interest in hearing the Imperials ..... and I have an open door policy for anyone who wishes to visit.  Just email me to let me know your plans.  I would also like to get a few folks together for a day or two on a weekend ..... does anyone have a suggestion as to a date ?

Randy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #252 - 05/23/06 at 15:05:00

i'd love to come over on june 24, saturday.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #253 - 05/23/06 at 15:06:44

wait, i just remembered, i live in europe... it's too far. Sad Sad

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #254 - 05/23/06 at 15:37:07

Hi Adrian,

I have made some long audio road trips, but that would probably be out of my range as well .....

Of course, if you ever make it to the USA, the invitation is open ..... Smiley

Best wishes,

Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print