Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/20/14 at 17:32:49

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print
To say the least, the anticipation is building ... (Read 60850 times)
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

To say the least, the anticipation is building ...
02/08/06 at 19:07:43

The gent I share an office with at work is putting the finishing touches on the last project on his plate before he starts on my SO Imperials .....

A couple of nights ago, we hauled the 10 sheets of good quality 3/4" oak plywood that will be needed for the project into his woodshop.

The Imperials should fit very nicely in my listening room, exactly filling up the spaces between the edges of the center curtain and the side walls.

Of course, I will have to do away with my chic $12.00 designer floor lamps .....

I expect that the Imperials will work extremely well with the Parker Audio Behemoths or The Horns (as in the photo).

Based on what I heard at the most recent DecFest, this will be the end of my audio journey ..... and I want to offer in advance my heartfelt gratitude to Steve Deckert and Bob (Zygi) for their help and inspiration in making these wonderful speakers available to the readers of this forum ..... Smiley

Additional photos and comments to follow, as available .....

Randy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: To say the least, the anticipation is building
Reply #1 - 02/08/06 at 20:14:38

Er ? huh? the what the plans are availiable and I missed them?
gimme gimmie.

On another note, congratulations and that sounds awsome.
I can hardly wait for your impression of the beasts.

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/08/06 at 20:43:20

Howdy gexter,

The "official plans" are not available yet.

The plans that I have are from this thread :

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Imperial;action=display;num=1...

My friend says that he can build them from these plans, and a phone call or two to Steve or Bob ..... Smiley

Take care,

Randy

« Last Edit: 02/08/06 at 20:43:55 by Randy in Caintuck »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/08/06 at 21:40:51

[quote author=Caintuck Randy  link=1139429263/0#0 date=1139425663]The gent I share an office with .......

Additional photos and comments to follow, as available .....

Randy

[/quote]

"The gent I share an office with at work is putting the finishing touches on the last project on his plate before he starts on my SO Imperials .....  "

This is awesome! Cool ..... the way it should be. Right now I'm looking forward to many detailed reports of how totally kicked you are able to keep your ..... well you told us all how bad these latest big boys from Steve are supposed to be and how they exceded your expectations ..... you said they sounded ..... I can only remember I needed a tissue ..... for my forehead, afterwards.

"A couple of nights ago, we hauled the 10 sheets of good quality 3/4" oak plywood that will be needed for the project into his woodshop."

Here I'm worried that you should have gotten 2 extras ..... just in case your buddy gets a little off on a cut or you can think of any way to improve the rigidity of ..... if you think you need 10, you should get 11 or 12 to be sure ..... worst case is you build a super solid base for them ..... or a better bass trap to address some of the ..... uhmm ..... anyway .....

"The Imperials should fit very nicely in my listening room, exactly filling up the spaces between the edges of the center curtain and the side walls."

For some reason I thought you were going to lay them down ..... as instructed ..... the same way Steve had his in the pix ..... I guess I'm just not considering all the options available when you have all the bass you could ever ..... the mouths go down right? ..... so you will be able to make some nice bass traps for the ceiling junctions ..... but, wait .....  you're out of plywood .....

"Of course, I will have to do away with my chic $12.00 designer floor lamps .....  "

Negative! Bad idea! The only problem with the lighting scheme is that the poles are too long ..... you just need to have the center five feet of extension removed by the same, really handy, buddy from work. The lamps will create interesting, romantic shadows and intense, illustrative highlights that spill out mysteriously across your new ..... just don't throw them out, yet!

"I expect that the Imperials will work extremely well with the Parker Audio Behemoths or The Horns (as in the photo)."

..... or just about any other likely prospects you can think of in the future as you continue to explore .....

"Based on what I heard at the most recent DecFest, this will be the end of my audio journey ..... and I want to offer in advance my heartfelt gratitude to Steve Deckert and Bob (Zygi) for their help and inspiration in making these wonderful speakers available to the readers of this forum .....  "

Now, see ..... this P155E5 me right off! You can't just leave! You're making it sound like this is "iADIOS, AMIGOS!", but it can't be. This place can't be without it's demi/semi/hemi/god any more than I could go all week without ..... Randy, I just spotted this ship ..... I can't quite catch up, yet and I've even had trouble keeping it above the horizon line at times, but we ..... I ..... I still need your inspired and well traveled guidance along with your understanding humor, and uplifting and witty distractions at times to offset the natural course of entropy that all my endeavors seem to push my mind towards, lately .....

"Additional photos and comments to follow, as available .....

Randy"

Say you're not going away, Randy! I would like to see the "Randy's Imperials" thread become one of those that never quite dies .....

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/08/06 at 21:42:34 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/08/06 at 22:05:49

I'm looking, but I can't seem to find the "green with envy" smilie Sad. Alas, the most important ingredient, ie: the room is missing in my set-up. We'll be anxiously awaiting pics etc, Randy!

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/08/06 at 22:16:16

This arrangement is going to look magnificent.  But two imperials in a room that size is kind of like killing mice with dynamite.  

One imperial will be plenty loud enough to disintigrate your plaster, especially with correct room placement, which may not be where you think, especially considering the small size of the room.  Without any room treatments the response is likely to be wildly erratic throughout the room.

Adding an additional imperial will likely not help and may very well hurt performance.  At best it will be a bit louder which you will find you really don't need, at worst quite a bit quieter with even worse frequency response.  Of course, all considerations could equal each other out and be perfect, but I doubt it.

The dawg is right, you would probably be further ahead with one imperial and three basstraps.  

Unless of course you positioned both mouths together, effectively doubling mouth area and potentially going much lower.

It took me 60 hours of listening to position my one imperial to my satisfaction, it makes a lot more difference than you might think.

Don't get me wrong, even if things go very wrong it's still going to be pretty great.

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/08/06 at 22:21:51

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1139429263/0#3 date=1139434851]

"A couple of nights ago, we hauled the 10 sheets of good quality 3/4" oak plywood that will be needed for the project into his woodshop."

Here I'm worried that you should have gotten 2 extras ..... just in case your buddy gets a little off on a cut or you can think of any way to improve the rigidity of ..... if you think you need 10, you should get 11 or 12 to be sure ..... worst case is you build a super solid base for them ..... or a better bass trap to address some of the ..... uhmm ..... anyway .....

"The Imperials should fit very nicely in my listening room, exactly filling up the spaces between the edges of the center curtain and the side walls."

For some reason I thought you were going to lay them down ..... as instructed ..... the same way Steve had his in the pix ..... I guess I'm just not considering all the options available when you have all the bass you could ever ..... the mouths go down right? ..... so you will be able to make some nice bass traps for the ceiling junctions ..... but, wait .....  you're out of plywood .....

"Of course, I will have to do away with my chic $12.00 designer floor lamps .....  "

Negative! Bad idea! The only problem with the lighting scheme is that the poles are too long ..... you just need to have the center five feet of extension removed by the same, really handy, buddy from work. The lamps will create interesting, romantic shadows and intense, illustrative highlights that spill out mysteriously across your new ..... just don't throw them out, yet!

"I expect that the Imperials will work extremely well with the Parker Audio Behemoths or The Horns (as in the photo)."

..... or just about any other likely prospects you can think of in the future as you continue to explore .....

"Based on what I heard at the most recent DecFest, this will be the end of my audio journey ..... and I want to offer in advance my heartfelt gratitude to Steve Deckert and Bob (Zygi) for their help and inspiration in making these wonderful speakers available to the readers of this forum .....  "

Now, see ..... this P155E5 me right off! You can't just leave! You're making it sound like this is "iADIOS, AMIGOS!", but it can't be. This place can't be without it's demi/semi/hemi/god any more than I could go all week without ..... Randy, I just spotted this ship ..... I can't quite catch up, yet and I've even had trouble keeping it above the horizon line at times, but we ..... I ..... I still need your inspired and well traveled guidance along with your understanding humor, and uplifting and witty distractions at times to offset the natural course of entropy that all my endeavors seem to push my mind towards, lately .....

"Additional photos and comments to follow, as available .....

Randy"

Say you're not going away, Randy! I would like to see the "Randy's Imperials" thread become one of those that never quite dies .....

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
[/quote]

Howdy DD,

As to the number of sheets of plywood, you are probably right ..... if my buddy Mike slips with the saw, we're probably in trouble.  Fortunately, he's not a big drinker, so I'm hoping for a "steady hand" with the saw ..... Roll Eyes

Concerning my chic pole lamps ..... I was actually thinking of removing the poles and hanging the remainder from the ceiling.  Your thoughts about the "interesting, romantic shadows and intense, illustrative highlights that spill out mysteriously" are pretty much on the mark as to the effect I am currently getting ..... although since 99% of my listening is done "solo", the romantic part is pretty much wasted ..... ???

"You can't just leave! You're making it sound like this is "ADIOS, AMIGOS!""

Very interesting ..... my buddy Mike said the same thing when he read my post ..... but, I can assure you that the readers of this forum will not be getting rid of me quite that easily .....

The comment about my "audio journey" is simply referring to my quest for new equipment.  Truthfully, I haven't made any serious changes to my system in a long time and I am deliriously happy with the sound I am getting at present.  However, the SO Imperials are really something special and I sincerely believe that they will be the icing on the cake.  The fortunate few who heard the Imperial / Crusader combo at the 2005 DecFest know what I'm talking about ..... and after my "Imperial Experience", there is no turning back .....

I'm afraid the forum readers will be stuck with me for a while longer .....

Best wishes,

Randy

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/08/06 at 22:29:53

[quote author=bassboy  link=1139429263/0#5 date=1139436976]This arrangement is going to look magnificent.  But two imperials in a room that size is kind of like killing mice with dynamite.  

One imperial will be plenty loud enough to disintigrate your plaster, especially with correct room placement, which may not be where you think, especially considering the small size of the room.  Without any room treatments the response is likely to be wildly erratic throughout the room.

Adding an additional imperial will likely not help and may very well hurt performance.  At best it will be a bit louder which you will find you really don't need, at worst quite a bit quieter with even worse frequency response.  Of course, all considerations could equal each other out and be perfect, but I doubt it.

The dawg is right, you would probably be further ahead with one imperial and three basstraps.  

Unless of course you positioned both mouths together, effectively doubling mouth area and potentially going much lower.

It took me 60 hours of listening to position my one imperial to my satisfaction, it makes a lot more difference than you might think.

Don't get me wrong, even if things go very wrong it's still going to be pretty great.

[/quote]

Howdy bassboy,

The room is 16' x 26'.  The plan is to run the Imperials in parallel with the main speakers from a single Decware Select amplifier ..... as I heard at the DecFest.

You might very well be right about the overkill issue ..... but I will have the option of experimenting with placement and number of Imperial cabinets.  I am one of those "symetrically balanced" kind of people who like things in matched pairs ..... so I really like the idea of two cabinets.  If you are correct, I might end up with only one of them connected to the amp ..... ???

Since you have been living with the Imperial, your input is valued and very much appreciated ..... Smiley

Regards,

Randy

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/08/06 at 22:44:05

If you are open to experimenting with speaker placement AND listening position placement, and you sit down to listen to music you will find a spot that will amaze you.

But I would start listening with only one, then add the other later.

I was dead serious about the plaster though.  If you do have plaster you might as well start ripping it out now and put in drywall with extra screws, as it is very annoying hearing it vibrating on the wall frame boards.

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/09/06 at 01:27:36

Some of what bassboy says will apply to subs in general, but is he actually referring to a Sub Only Imperial with this amp?

SE84CS - Zen Triode amp - Select Version. 2 watts x 2 SET

Flexing your plaster with that would be impressive.

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/09/06 at 02:09:47

Howdy boydon_lepasci,

At the 2005 DecFest, we had a pair of 95 db efficient 2 ohm Parker Audio Crusaders wired to a single Zen Select in parallel with the SO Imperials in Steve's garage / listening room.  I'm not sure what the actual dimensions of the room were, but the musical presentation was absolutely mindboggling.  It wasn't because of the SPLs (which were more than adequate) ..... but more the size of the soundstage and the feeling of the "recorded space" that was evident in a way I have NEVER before experienced.  The front wall, side walls and ceiling of the room were simply removed from the equation.

I don't know any other way to explain it ..... but the whole room felt like it was "breathing" ..... 8)

The bass instruments weren't trouser flapping and tooth rattling like you experience with a cheap subwoofer or cheesy home theater system ..... they were just present and realistic and effortless.  

Steve made the observation that the Imperials give the music "a place to go" ..... ???

I don't pretend to know exactly what is taking place, but I can understand what all the fuss is about among the fans of large horn loaded speakers ..... there is nothing quite like it.

Since I'm not much into head banger music, my reason for wanting the Imperials is to impart a sense of realism to acoustic blues and small ensemble jazz ..... and I have a feeling that I will get exactly what I'm looking for ..... and then some ..... Smiley

Of course, it's also possible that I might discover just how good a few other musical genres can sound once these beauties are part of the system .....

Randy

« Last Edit: 02/09/06 at 02:14:12 by Randy in Caintuck »  
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/09/06 at 04:49:01

thanks Randy. I do have that page printed out but found a couple dimension unclear.
But since they are so close to Steves Imperial I used those. but If they are exact or not I have no idea.
I usually draft up scaled plans for any hopeful project but I would have to fold the heavy paper more than once to store those puppies.

I have made a version of one awhile back that seemed to work out but since I am always experimenting it underwent changes and I wish now I never did.

If I build a full size wood one I am kinda worried that I will have the problems that Dank has had. So I am holding out for exact science.

Thanks Randy,
I look forward to your report on what a couple watts can do with a great design.

Gex

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/09/06 at 04:54:23

[quote author=Caintuck Randy  link=1139429263/0#10 date=1139450987]

Steve made the observation that the Imperials give the music "a place to go" ..... ???

Randy [/quote]

I have thought about this for awhile now. Perhaps the massive wavefronts are basically "exciting" the air molecules and allowing them to conduct the mids/highs better. That or they allow the first passing of the signal, but impede a reflection, much like a diffusor but the bass air "absorbs" the reflection because it is moving as well. Wonder what hooking the sub 180 deg. out of phase would do to the soundstage when you observed this "widening" effect?  

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/09/06 at 05:00:17

Corey whenever I see a post like yours that Zen word pops into my head and these lttle zen lights are going on one by one.
damn!
You guys might make an audiophile of me yet.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/09/06 at 06:03:34

EXCELLENT THREAD!

[quote author=bassboy  link=1139429263/0#5 date=1139436976]This arrangement is going to look magnificent.  But two imperials in a room that size is kind of like killing mice with dynamite.  
[/quote]

Have you actually tried killing mice with Dynamite?  Cause if you haven't I suggest you do at least once!

Cheesy

But in all seriousness, I am going to have to demand this thread be kept alive forever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print