Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/17/14 at 10:59:55

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EX mod appropriate for this speaker? Steve? (Read 2152 times)
topforty
Ex Member

EX mod appropriate for this speaker? Steve?
01/31/06 at 04:15:15

I was just reading the white paper on the EX mod and noticed the following sentence:

"...So, if you've read about the EX mod's on forums and own conventional 8 ohm speakers with crossovers, the mod is not for you because your speakers most likely have dips in the impedance that fall around 4 ohms."

Here's a link to the schematic of the speakers I'm using for the time being. (EPI 100)

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi100.htm

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Re: EX mod appropriate for this speaker? Steve?
Reply #1 - 01/31/06 at 18:25:46

If you really want to hear what a Zen can do, your money would probably be better spent upgrading your speakers, particularly if you can DIY some cabinets.

The EPI was a great bang for buck in 1973, but I daresay hopelessly outclassed by any number of current DIY or HE designs, including Fostex, Adire HE10.1, Hawthorne Audio, etc.

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/06 at 18:57:59

TopForty,

I looked at the brochure and your speakers are rated at 4 ohm nominal, not the best for an EX tranny considering they will probably drop below that.

OTOH, I believe your choice of the EX mod is a good one. I am sold on single driver and your choice of the FE126E(The Horns), FE167E(Decware Corner horns, Bob Brines) or the FE206E(HDT, bass reflex) will all work very well with your amp and most other SET amps should you decide to change down the road.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
topforty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/06 at 19:20:08

Yah, well that is my plan for sure, I just hope i don't have to put up with junk sound for another 3 months while i raise the cabbage to upgrade the speakers.

Thanks

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/06 at 20:21:58

[quote author=topforty  link=1138684516/0#3 date=1138735208]Yah, well that is my plan for sure, I just hope i don't have to put up with junk sound for another 3 months while i raise the cabbage to upgrade the speakers.

Thanks [/quote]

Well some one want´s a pair of epi´s http://wantitnow.ebay.com/EPI-100-Speaker_W0QQadidZ5852425580 u could use it to raise a few leafs Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/31/06 at 20:22:09 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/31/06 at 21:35:30

Not to hijack the thread,has anybody ex-modded their Zen Select and NOT had at least some hum? Just wondering, as mine does hum, but it is such a great sonic upgrade, that I can't bring myself to put the stock trannies back in.
                                                          Don

IP Logged
topforty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/31/06 at 22:14:14

I am concerned about that too Don.
I have not actually received my CS-EX yet, it is in the process of being modded by DecWare from a stock C (that i think might have needed repairs).

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/03/06 at 22:46:46

Hum was completely unchanged in any way when I did my EX mod, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Dave

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/04/06 at 02:11:02

When you say "unchanged" Dave, do you mean no hum at all?

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/04/06 at 03:06:02

Well on 100db/1w/1m speakers, hum is "detectable" at 1 ft and not at 4 ft, I seem to recall measuring it at around 1.5 mV.  As far as I'm concerned it's dead silent.

Dave

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/04/06 at 16:08:56

Dave: Yes, I'd be very happy with similar results.  (My drivers are rated @93db.) The hum my amp produces is very noticeable at the listening position, about 10' away. It's fine with music playing, but with the stock trannies, it was silent.
                                                          Don

« Last Edit: 02/04/06 at 16:11:13 by Doorman »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print