Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/30/14 at 22:36:39

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My HDT are almost ready (Read 8228 times)
franksmith
Ex Member

Re: My HDT are almost ready
Reply #15 - 01/30/06 at 04:45:15

RAP : I didn't had the time to look for the top plate so I will use some temporaty baltic birsh.

I will call some place tomorow to see how much it would cost me.

The other solution is solid 1" mahogany wood (around 60$ for the twos)

60$ more or less... just the veneer cost me around 300$ Smiley

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/30/06 at 10:43:44

[quote author=franksmith  link=1138234258/15#15 date=1138596315]RAP : I didn't had the time to look for the top plate so I will use some temporaty baltic birsh.

I will call some place tomorow to see how much it would cost me.

The other solution is solid 1" mahogany wood (around 60$ for the twos)

60$ more or less... just the veneer cost me around 300$ Smiley

[/quote]

Now that mahogany would look nice Grin I´d go over 1" if you can(sorry want).I built a 1" first but a 1 1/4" looked much better, more solid.

« Last Edit: 01/30/06 at 10:44:24 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/30/06 at 19:02:41

I found a piece of solid mahogany 15" 1/2 wide, 1.25" thick by 84" long. premium quality.

But my question is, will it keep it's form once planed and sanded or it will twist in a couple of months.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/30/06 at 20:39:17

If it has been properly dried (kiln-dried )it should keep nicely. Also something to consider is how the veins are oriented. Is this a cut length-wise from the center ? If you look at the end you don´t want to see a lot of angle in the veins running through the plank but mahogany is very resistant to warping Smiley hence it´s wide use in fine furniture.

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/31/06 at 01:54:29

Thanks for the help, it's suppose to be premium quality but I will go see this by myself.

I called for granit or marble and it's arround 200$ for the marble and 260$ for the granit.

Pretty expensive.

With the 84" long mahogany I can make 2 top plate but also two buttom plate. It would be really nice I think.

Tonigh I applied a second layer of gel coating after a little sanding of the first layer. It look even greater now.

Not sure if I will use 3-4 layer and after that I will apply some oil (probably parafin or baby oil).

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/31/06 at 02:23:34

I have a piece of 45" x 36" 3/4" thick red brass plate! I'll cut you out a pair in the dimensions you want but you round off and polish it yourself.
$265/pair plus shipping! It is a deep golden color.
I bought the plate for just this purpose. The finshed weight would be around 42-45 lbs.  ;D The mass/damping to the cabinet would be an asset IMHO. But it would look cool to have polished plate on top too! Cheesy

« Last Edit: 01/31/06 at 02:24:32 by Chris K »  
  IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/31/06 at 04:10:55

BTW My idea would also include laminating a piece of appropriatly contoured 1/8" or 1/4" thick black "Sintra". It is a sign making plastic sheet that is available at any local sign shop and is inexpensive and easy to cut and sand. Glued to the bottom of the brass top plate with a thin coat of urethane based adhesive any ringing tendencies of the brass would be soundly, silenced. Grin

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/31/06 at 19:25:19

Thanks for the offer Chris but I would prefer finished granit for mass loading, concidering the price.

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/01/06 at 00:39:19

[quote author=franksmith  link=1138234258/15#22 date=1138735519]Thanks for the offer Chris but I would prefer finished granit for mass loading, concidering the price.

[/quote]

Well I understand what you mean  Frank, but I priced 3/4" Brass plate new and it turns out to be only available as naval (red) brass and it is in the neighborhood of $7-$9/pound. At 90 lbs. for (2) pieces 13.5"x13.5" if you can even find it that thick on the used market I got it for under $3/pound. It took me over a year to find a single piece on EBay that would yield two pieces big enough for HDT top plates. No salvage yard around here has ever seen a piece this big. Turns out I got a piece big enough to get 3 sets of HDT top plate out and leftovers for feet "pucks" or other decorative trim. The piece I have would have cost $3K + or - a few hundred if it was new. It aint gold (well it is) but it seems like it when you spend hard cash for it. I will likely have to hear the MkII to see if I want to do a build of it with the brass top plate and polished brass tube quarter round corner capping (1" radii). This is a serious back burner project considering what I have coming up.

PS granite is not nearly as heavy is it?

« Last Edit: 02/01/06 at 00:41:11 by Chris K »  
  IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/01/06 at 08:13:18

If shipping weren´t an issue, I´d buy that slab of copper of you Chris Smiley what happened to youre hdt´s? Sad

Here is a link to respective material weight´s http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html

That Brass is about 4 times heavier than granit for same volum

« Last Edit: 02/01/06 at 08:22:11 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/04/06 at 19:27:28

Here they are ready to go home with me tonight.

I still have works to do like top plates, a base, hiding the wood in the ports ...

But this will give you an idea

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 02/04/06 at 23:12:11

Here they are ...

Finaly at home with temporary top plate (flat black birsch ply)

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 02/05/06 at 00:17:00

So how do they sound to you?

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/05/06 at 15:37:05

Have you dopped the cones at all?

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/05/06 at 17:02:38

I will give comment on the sound soon, I want to  live with them for somes times before.

For now I really like them, I'm listening to the music instead of focusing on the caracteristics which is a very good hint of their qualities.

The cones are like them when ordered from decware, they are suppose to be coated but I don't have clues that they are.

Like discussed before, decware can't gel wax them anymore because of the new cone material or something like this. I'm not sure that the gel waxing was the major factor of the alternative tuning having heard the original ones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print