Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/14 at 15:57:07

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
do i need a preamp to run a zen? (Read 5810 times)
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Re: do i need a preamp to run a zen?
Reply #15 - 01/29/06 at 00:58:52

Does a person have to discharge the filter caps(pin 1,6) if you are just replacing the signal caps?(pin 2,7)

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/29/06 at 03:03:26

is that a trick question Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
dr._sleep
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/29/06 at 21:55:03

Theoretically and in an interest of safety the answer is sure.  There should not be high voltages on these input signal caps.  The power supply caps can sting quite a bit, though.

Go Corey, Go....
dr._sleep

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/29/06 at 22:41:25

Thanks Doc.!  :)

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/29/06 at 23:20:16

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1138052721/0#6 date=1138134428]The select is a different animal with the CSP in front of it, in my system. Timbral naturalness, c are greatly improved. The upper register of a cd source is also far more tolerable, besides being much more natural.

Additionally, I find that with a preamp with gain, the volume pot on the select can be backed off to around 80% or so, where the select hits its most musical sweet spot, to my ear.

Every now and then I bypass the CSP as a reminder, and it's always the same answer. Smiley

If you were to hook up an SE84CS directly to a source, I'd recommend vinyl (course then you'd need a phono pre).

Karl [/quote]

Karl,

Do you have multiple inputs (cd, vinyl, ipod)?  If so, how do you deal with more than 3 with your CSP?  I'm looking to replace my home-made switchbox with something that would pair up with my Select and offer the dynamics and slam you describe.

The CSP with at least >2 inputs would be something I'd be all over.  Anyone know if a kit version is in the future?

Just curious ...

--eric

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/30/06 at 01:51:59

[quote author=erimille  link=1138052721/15#19 date=1138576816]I'm looking to replace my home-made switchbox with something that would pair up with my Select and offer the dynamics and slam you describe. [/quote]

I use one of these to get multiple signals to my CS for now.   When it arrives (CSP), one input directly from a preferred  source to CSP and one input from the selector into the CSP.

The rotary switchbox from Decware. Very useful tool.

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/30/06 at 18:34:41

[quote author=rmt  link=1138052721/15#20 date=1138585919]

I use one of these to get multiple signals to my CS for now.   When it arrives (CSP), one input directly from a preferred  source to CSP and one input from the selector into the CSP.
[/quote]

Thanks rmt, yep - i'm familiar with the input selector... I guess I'm looking for fewer components between my input and amp, not more Smiley

--e

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/30/06 at 22:38:58

Fortunately, it's not very often I need more than the two switchable sources provided. Just vinyl and cd's here.

Once in a blue moon (really not very often) another input is needed, so I just unplug and replug.

Karl

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/31/06 at 01:34:51

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1138052721/15#22 date=1138660738]Fortunately, it's not very often I need more than the two switchable sources provided. Just vinyl and cd's here.

Once in a blue moon (really not very often) another input is needed, so I just unplug and replug.

Karl [/quote]

Ah! you've teased me with your Mac OSX / Ipod reference in your sig.  I have my latop / ipod (along with a tuner) i'd like to include as inputs along side with CD and analog gear.

Perhaps I can do without... not sure yet Smiley  

--e (thinking Select, CSP + various inputs, Horns ... happy)

« Last Edit: 01/31/06 at 02:53:52 by erimille »  
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/31/06 at 03:25:36

By the way, Eric,

I was surprised at how credible the ipod sounds through my system, (especially using the Apple Lossless Compression scheme). It's mostly a walkabout companion, and for a small secondary system in my studio that doesn't exist, yet.

Won't very often need it in my main system, though.

When listening to the radio, I have a couple old table top tube radios from the "dawn of fm" that are very forgiving regarding fm broadcast quality, (so I don't even use a tuner).

Sorry to bait you with my signature!:)

Karl

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/01/06 at 00:35:17

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1138052721/15#24 date=1138677936]By the way, Eric,

I was surprised at how credible the ipod sounds through my system, (especially using the Apple Lossless Compression scheme).
[/quote]

Agreed!

Quote:
It's mostly a walkabout companion, and for a small secondary system in my studio that doesn't exist, yet.

Won't very often need it in my main system, though.

Im in the process of moving my 2 channel gear into my office. This has been opening up the possibility for experimenting with ipod and / or itunes via laptop as input. Sounds silly, but then Hagerman comes out with the Chime with USB input... sigh Smiley

Quote:
Sorry to bait you with my signature!:)

Karl

heh, no worries Smiley

--e

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print