Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/21/14 at 05:28:12

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 28444 times)
Bob
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #60 - 01/20/06 at 18:04:11

15" for sure. Total size of the box you'll stare at isn't a big difference. Driver price difference not much. Have you read the entire thread? I got the Dayton Series II's from parts express for $88 each. Think it might be pretty cool.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 01/20/06 at 18:41:11

After reading the post from gildcm, I went to the web site for Legion Sound to find a better pic of the LSA900. Can't find one, maybe THIS is the reason it was $70 off. They don't make it anymore???  They only have the 800, and 1200, no 900.

Bob

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 01/20/06 at 20:54:36

Bob, I have a 15" peavey black widow laying around and 3 JL 10W3s. That is why I have to decide. But as you said I am leaning toward the 15" and later buying some Dayton's.  

« Last Edit: 01/20/06 at 20:55:11 by gildcm »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 01/20/06 at 21:30:56

WAAAYY better guys here can tell you if the 3 10" JL's you already own would be good. Or if you should build the 15" box, install the one B.W. and down the road buy another. This may be a bad idea, but how about a 15" HWK,  install the B.W.  then later add a Dayton or two. They may not play well together, but just one idea???  BUt I think most would agree 15" would be be better than 10".

Bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 01/20/06 at 21:36:24

It sounds like confusion is all, the LSA 800 says it uses 900 watts worth of transitors. Perhaps this is the mistake.

Either way, The amp will work fine for those daytons.  

You could do either XLR or 1/4 inch, the only reason I suggested XLR is for the Postive locking.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 01/20/06 at 22:13:33

Here's what Music Supply Center calls it... http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/700-05-0006?

As far as the difference in connector / termination, I also like the idea of the XLR. The 1/4" reminds me of the 1/8" stereo plugs that you would here static until you rotate the plug... not what I need.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 01/23/06 at 11:50:17

Ok, I lied. I did taxes this week end, Forgot about those.   Roll EyesNEXT weekend I've got a 3 day weekend. Plenty of time to build A HWK. None of my new toys came yet.  >:(

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 01/25/06 at 11:57:02

The 2 Dayton Drivers are in, WOW 15" is big. Arrived in perfect condition.
Amp came, but nobody was home to receive it. Will pick up at post office Friday (got the 3 day weekend coming up).
Will purchace MDF and misc materials Friday at Home Depot. Screen fabric for 140" diag. front projection is in, will pick up Friday.
Berkline Home Theater seating should be in any day now.

Having a hard time focusing on my job recently... May have to call in sick Thursday  ;D ..... Na, gotta pay for this stuff somehow.

Bob

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 01/25/06 at 12:58:33

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/60#65 date=1137795213]Here's what Music Supply Center calls it... http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/700-05-0006?

As far as the difference in connector / termination, I also like the idea of the XLR. The 1/4" reminds me of the 1/8" stereo plugs that you would here static until you rotate the plug... not what I need.

Bob [/quote]

I'm not quite sure where the notion came from that you will be immune to those problems simply by using an XLR connector. Pros using that amp may have to set it up in 4 or 5 different locations every week and put more wear and tear on every connection than you will at home.

There are many reasons to use an XLR, but the reasons stated for not using 1/4" is mainly encountered when using an amatuer grade connector. If your amp has high quality jacks and you buy pro quality plugs, you won't experience any static or degradation in the signal transfer. The shorting of the output can become a concern with certain tube outs, but generally you don't want to hot swap audio gear any way. Develope good habits from the beginning regarding your new amp. Grin

Glad to see it coming together for you. Keep us posted! Cheesy

« Last Edit: 01/25/06 at 13:02:41 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 01/25/06 at 13:10:07

I guess my unfounded problem with "rotateable" type terminations, stems from when I was a kid. Remember the portable FM and cassette radios? Remember having to rotate the connector (and then using scotch tape wrapped around the connector to hold it in place?  I suppose in reality, (with pro grade) these terminations are much better than I remember. Of course my walkman didn't use 1/4" either.

When you say develop good habits with my amp, are you refering to hot swapping?

Bob

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 01/25/06 at 13:21:28

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/60#69 date=1138194607]
When you say develop good habits with my amp, are you refering to hot swapping?

Bob [/quote]
Yep!
I watched as a friend once tried switching stuff around and before I could stop him, the speaker outs from 2 different amps touched [LIGHTNING] and it fried both his new amps. He was not practicing "Safety First" as they say.

« Last Edit: 01/25/06 at 13:23:45 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 01/25/06 at 14:12:36

Shocked  :o  :o
Not a happy camper......
Thanks, that is a practice I should start.  I've been known to yank S-video, and component cables while equipment was on.  BAAAD!! Stop it....

Bob

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 01/25/06 at 15:12:39

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/60#71 date=1138198356] Shocked  :o  :o
Not a happy camper......
Thanks, that is a practice I should start.  I've been known to yank S-video, and component cables while equipment was on.  BAAAD!! Stop it....

Bob [/quote]
I don't know much about the mechanics of video, but I know many of the circuits are assembled in static free clean rooms because some of the chips used in that gear have microscopic conductors that are sensitive even to static electrical discharge that we couldn't feel. I'm sure the supporting circuitry helps to protect it to some degree, but I prefer not to temp or dare The Devil. Smiley

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 01/25/06 at 16:06:41

How true. I put in a good quality DVD, and was switching from composite, to S-video, to component just to see how much of a difference was visible. I thought (apparently not  ::) ) that If I made the changes fast enough it would be easier to see the differences as opposed to shutting everything down, swapping cables, firing all back up, and finding the same refence point on the DVD. I wanted to do it fast so my mind would'nt "forget" what it looked like. Good idea in theory, but in practice I was 'daring the devil' as you say.

Yes, by the way, there is a big difference. But we all knew that anyway.   Smiley

Bob (willing to sacrifice my equipment for the better of the community)

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 01/25/06 at 18:36:36

Quick question, in a dual driver HWK, I'm thinking about mounting the top driver face up (magnet down in center chamber). Do I set driver in hole from the top chamber, resting it on the back side of the driver flange with gasket. Or, do I install in center chamber FROM the center chamber, so the built in gasket is against the bottom of the top divider.

Or does it matter.

Reason is, ease if installation, holding the driver with one hand trying to install fasteners with other hand. Easier to just set it in hole.

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print