Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 02:58:29

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 25248 times)
Bob
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #45 - 01/20/06 at 11:59:37

Next time I go to Romania, I'll grab a handfull !!

(cabbie's there don't carry guns,....do they??)

Bob

« Last Edit: 01/20/06 at 13:30:01 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 01/20/06 at 13:55:07

Okay - you have the sub out, so that saves you having to buy an extra crossover.  Incidentally, do you know what the low pass frequency of that output is?

Unless your amp has a summing input (where you can provide a signal to only one input channel but have both outputs driven), you will need to split this output into two separate channels, to feed each input channel of your amplifier.  The sub out on your receiver is a female RCA, and you need to split this into two male XLRs.  You may be able to find just such a cable, or use a cheap RCA Y adapter with two separate RCA to XLR single channel cables, or just buy the appropriate connectors and make what you need.

As for the amp to speaker connection, you could just wire this directly (I think your amp has binding posts for this purpose), but personally, I would shell out a few bucks for the Neutrik Speakon connectors - that is the other output jack you see on the back of the amp.  One cable connector for each end of the speaker cable, and one input connector/dish receptacle for the cabinet.  If it is a permanent home theater installation, it doesn't really matter, but the speakons give you a connection that is tolerant of many cycles of connection and disconnection (important if you move your gear around a lot), plus it looks cleaner (if that matters to you).  The Speakons are bulletproof, and will accept up to 12 GA wire with no soldering necessary.

-Sean

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 01/20/06 at 14:00:43

Is XLR and Neutrik something a guy could find at Radio Shack?

Bob

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 01/20/06 at 14:08:10

Don't know about Radio Shack specifically, but there are lots of sources for both types of connectors.  Just do a Google search.

-Sean

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 01/20/06 at 14:22:38

Here is a site that shows the pin out of wire for making the cables.

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 01/20/06 at 14:24:51

This may help with assembling cables:

http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/ref_con.htm

-Sean

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 01/20/06 at 14:28:22

One more thing - given the option between a balanced or unbalanced version of a given cable, you probably want to use the balanced version.  The discrepancy arises because RCA is inherently a single-ended connector (i.e. 2 conductors as opposed to XLR's 3).  The potential for the chassis grounds of source and amplifier to float with respect to each other can lead to amplifier hum, for example.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 01/20/06 at 15:35:06

I'm not sure you need to go to the expense of XLR type connectors, unless you have no choice. The differences and benefits between balanced and unbalaced lines can be confusing. Unless you have a balanced system, you won't have a balanced input without some circuitry or at least a balancing transformer. In-home it is not necessary to use a balanced system unless your cable run is 20 or 30 feet.

If your new amp has 1/4" connectors I'd use them, in fact many have 2 per channel and it is very easy to gang connections with a short jumper between the 2 channels. That would be the same as a "Y" connector. Have you tried to look at an online version of your manual to find out the back panel configuration? It may be much easier than you're planning to make it. Search for a manual. Grin

Check this out.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

There's a good explanation here, too.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Balancedvsunba...

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 01/20/06 at 16:37:12

Balancing may not be important in Bob's home theater, but there are other pragmatic reasons for using the XLR connections - maybe more important for PA applications than for use in the home, but still worth mentioning:

1) the XLR engages all of its conductors at once, and can not short circuit the signal lines during connection / disconnection

2) the XLR is a positive locking connector

Just a thought - if the amp has both XLR and 1/4" phone plug inputs, could you achieve the split by using a single RCA to XLR from the receiver to one amp input, and then use a 1/4" phone plug jumper between the two input jacks on the amp?

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 01/20/06 at 16:41:46

Found all of the links, looks like good information.

I know my EXISTING connections are fairly standard, however the LSA900 I have coming in the mail is an unknown. The panel connection picture from the company I purchaced from just blows...can't see well enough to tell.

The 'balanced / unbalanced' thing is a whole new can of worms I didn't know about. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
Should find out in a day or two.

Still looking for the low pass frequency spec.

Bob

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 01/20/06 at 17:07:43

cabbies in romania don't carry guns...or at least i haven't met any Wink
come by anytime Wink
the stuff about xlr and other types is really useful. thanks for the topic guys. i hope bob uses this info Wink

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 01/20/06 at 17:37:14

It looks like the amp you are getting Bob is the LSA-800 by Legion Sound. Here is the page of specs from Legion Sound.

http://www.legionsound.com/legion%20web/lsa800.htm

It looks like it has 1/4 inch, and XLR inputs. Outputs you have Speakon connectors and binding posts. Which is the normal inputs and outputs for pro audio amps.

If you are going to be running one channel to one speaker you will be putting 225 watts to that speaker at 8 ohms. You could running the amp in Mono/Bridged and get 900 watts at a 4 ohm speaker load by running the speakers in parallel. Just watch your phasing of the speakers.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 01/20/06 at 17:44:31

Actually I purchaced the LSA900 here.... http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/100-01-0208?

But, I'm sure the inputs/outputs would be the same.

Bob

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 01/20/06 at 17:50:12

Hopefully I'm wrong and you are getting a better amp.

Good luck on the build. Now I have to start building mine. I can't decide on the 10" version or 15" version.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print