Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/22/14 at 16:31:44

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 31878 times)
Bob
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #30 - 01/19/06 at 14:07:49

The important thing is that it does what you need, and your happy with it.
Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 01/19/06 at 14:11:33

No worries BOB these guys have help me alot too and most of my answers come from them and some experience. They put up with me and I'm a stup/drunk that loves BIG BOOM! Everyone here has their own opinion but the mission is the same "The Quest for Killer Audio". I am just happy to peg the SPL meter. Maybe the audiophile in me will show up later in life. GO BIG AND BOOM!

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 01/19/06 at 14:17:53

Good luck with the build Bob. If you can take some pics thru the building process.

Again good luck. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 01/19/06 at 14:53:29

Thanks from a fellow stupid/drunk.

Just ordered the LSA900

My plan to take over the world is almost complete.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 01/19/06 at 15:33:27

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/30#33 date=1137682409]Thanks from a fellow stupid/drunk.

Just ordered the LSA900

My plan to take over the world is almost complete.

Bob
[/quote]

900 wrms and 2 x 15s in HWK...........crazy Cheesy

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 01/19/06 at 16:21:41

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/30#33 date=1137682409]My plan to take over the world is almost complete.
[/quote]

Just remeber what happened at the end of the "Pinky and The Brain" shows.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 01/19/06 at 20:55:35

Yes, I will take pictures. Little old school in the shutterbug area. Will have to have them developed, then scan them. Not sure how they will turn out.

Crazy,......me.........ok.

I have better sidekick than "The Brain"......I have you guys. Wink

Will be waiting for the mail every day. I'll let you know what the LSA900 looks like when it comes. Hopefully hasn't been run over by a truck. Fellow that emailed me back assured me it was 'new' and perfectly fine. (Then why so cheap?)

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 01/19/06 at 21:44:46

The thing is, a company is much better off telling a customer that they are paying for an opened item, or one with a damaged original carton, then they are for selling it at normal cost.  

They can get in big trouble for selling an opened item without taking note of it, and no one wants to buy an opened box for the same price as a new item.

So they pricemark the opened one to get their money back and avoid any legal trouble at all.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 01/19/06 at 22:44:11

I'll buy that..........pun intended.

Bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 01/19/06 at 23:19:42

Nice Pun!  1 point for Bob.

I can guess you are going to have a problem with hooking this amp up to your system, so I might as well right now(At work ya know, pretend to be busy)....

Well theres several ways to do it, first question is does your HT reciever have a sub out?(PRAY you do!)

If yes, how many RCA's are it?

If two, you can go a single RCA to 1/4 inch mono adapter for each RCA or each channel.

If one, you are gonna wanna get and RCA Splitter and then get 2 RCA to 1/4 mono adapter for each input channel.

*****You can use an XLR type connector instead of the 1/4 inch mono*****

If your Reciever does not have a sub out, get back to us, cause then its gonna be a pain.

Personally, I would hope for your reciever to have a single RCA for the Sub output, I would then split that to dual XLR(only reason would be for sturdy-ness).  That would ensure both channels of the legion sound amp are getting identical signals.  Otherwise, 2 RCA outs will work just fine.  

« Last Edit: 01/19/06 at 23:22:58 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 01/20/06 at 00:14:11

Agreed.  The 150 Hz lowpass integral to the amp is not low enough for a clean subwoofer... granted, the HWK is a bandpass box, so much of that higher frequency content will be attenuated in the cabinet, but the woofers will still be producing it and hence wasting energy.  Unless your source has a sub out which is passed lower, you will need some sort of crossover to lowpass at about 80 Hz or so.  If you have the sub out, you're good to go, and (as far as I can tell from the photographs) need only use a splitter as J_Rock suggested.  If not, you need either:

1) An active crossover, which will filter frequencies prior to the amplifier, or

2) A passive crossover, which filters after amplification, and hence wastes power.  This is the cheaper option, so you might want to do this for now and then swap out to an active crossover later.

I would use balanced XLR inputs wherever you can, instead of RCA or 1/4" jacks (you will need appropriate cables), and Neutrik speakon connectors for the amp output and HW input connections.  No need to buy expensive pro audio cables - just buy the connectors and make your own.

-Sean

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 01/20/06 at 01:00:48

I highly second the makeing your own cables, its basic sodering and saves a ton of money.  Plus you can choose colors and connectors to your liking.  Much better.

without a sub out below 100hz, a XO will be much better.  I prefer to cross my WO over at 120 hz, but thats because the WO is very musical, whereas the HWK, I have never listened to.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 01/20/06 at 11:50:40

i connected my pa amp to the headphone out on my integrated amp, using a y-splitter so that i have 2 XLR jacks going in the x-over.
i am terribly sorry i didn't buy parts for the cables instead of buying the whole cable : 20$ for 2*1m xlr-jack cables and 2*1m xlr-xlr cables. i'm not sure if it would have been cheeper if i would have built my own.
i have my dbs crossed at about 65, because i hate how the db-10 boosts the 100-120hz section.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 01/20/06 at 11:52:25

I have started making my own cables. (After most of the HT cables were already purchaced) It's magical what RG-6 can be made to do. However I wouldn't think RG-6, or RG-59 would be good for post amp to speaker.

Yes, I think we'll make this easy, I have a single RCA 'sub out' on my Harman Kardon AVR-525. I'm proud of my backside.....anybody wanna see it?

(sub out is #4 on lower left, mixed in with the other preamp outputs.)
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/QuickStart%20Guide/AVR525RrPnlCnnctns.pdf

Have no fear of making cables, but have never heard of XLR or Neutrik speakon connectors.

Bob

Also, here's something neat to look at....it has pretty pictures. It sound cool, but has alot of marketing bulls Shocked too.

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Technology%20Articles/TripleCrssoverTechSht.pdf

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 01/20/06 at 11:56:31

i just remembered...taxis in romania use XLR for powering the "advertisment" on the top. i laughed when i first saw that (2 days after i've bought my cables)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print