Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/14 at 03:54:18

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 25250 times)
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #15 - 01/18/06 at 22:26:51

Just to make sure, you are getting these right?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-130

If so, these amps would work as far as power levels:

one of these with subs in parallel: (250 rms to each sub)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

Subs in parallel to one fo these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-806

MaxAmp 2 or 3:(each sub on different channel, 1 amp total)
http://www.cheaplights.com/catalog/01_info.php?sec=201

This amp would have to have one sub on each channel:(opened box)
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/100-01-0208?

Heres SPecs on above:(new Amp price also)
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter/Items/700-05-0006?

one of these for each sub(note the power at 8 ohms):
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm#350basic

2 of these:
http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

This is to run your subs with 200-300 wrms per sub.
Go with a single amp if at all possible since both subs will be in the same enclosure.  If you do get 2 amps, you will be able to later seperate the HWK into two seperate subs if needed.  These are also not the only options.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/18/06 at 22:59:48

DUDE, your cool  ;D

Just buzzing through them the LSA-900 makes my tigglies wiggly.  I'll spend some time looking at these and get back to you.

Bob

p.s. thank you very much for spending so much time on little ol' me.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/19/06 at 02:33:47

Yeah, that would run your subs at 225 wrms a piece at 8 ohms a piece, I would've recommended the jump up to the LSA1200, but that "Scratch and dent" LSA900 is just too good of a deal.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/19/06 at 10:21:11

Do not worry about soldering unless you buy the Velleman power kits. PA and DJ amps are just heavy duty stereo amps(20Hz to 20KHz frequency range) that can take the punishment of traveling and put out KILLER power. With PA/DJ amps you will need a crossover and maybe an equalizer for the HWK15. Subwoofer plate amps(20Hz to 200Hz frequency range) are good because they have built in crossovers, phase, and gain(volume) controls. Everyone is different so you will have to decide what you like. I use a 250W plate amp to run one HWK15(2 DAYTON SERIES II) and can bury the SPL meter with out any worries of course not for long periods of time without  MR. FAN running. If you are looking for a excellent sub for home theater the WO36 is BADA--. Do not get me wrong I would not take anything for my HWK15s. The sound and SPL they put out are second to none. Remember the HWK is somewhat easier to build and the performance will out do most of the $1000 home theater subs. GOODLUCK!

« Last Edit: 01/19/06 at 11:21:54 by Joe_Eaton »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/19/06 at 12:01:01

Ok guys, credit card in hand. Todays the day for drivers and amp.

The LSA-900 for $130 looks like the cats meow. (will attempt to find out why it's in the scratch and dent pile, supposed to be new in the box.?)
Doens't look like I would need a crossover. I think it has one that quits at 150hz built in. If memory serves, my 7.1 surrounds can live with that.
If I can get the LSA-900 for that price, I'd consider a step up in driver price. Yes, J_Rock, by the way, those Dayton series II drivers are the one's I was looking at.
Doesn't look like I'd need any more equipment to purchace other than misc wiring, terminals ect...

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/19/06 at 12:14:09

With an Xmas of 8mm on the Series II, and an Xmas of 15mm on the DVC Series --these ---http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-190

I could afford 2 of the DVC's if I get the amp at $130.

Is this a better idea???

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 01/19/06 at 12:48:33

I choose the Series II because the specs are so close to Steve's specs. The white paper plans says "Fs=20, Qts=.38, and Vas=10 cubic feet" is the ball park to shoot for in specs. The HWK should work with either Dayton. The best speaker set up seems to be baskets/magnets in the center chamber with the woofer's cone firing toward the ports. You will need to hook one woofer out of phase. Have fun with the BOOM!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 01/19/06 at 12:55:18

you dont have to worry too much, if you build the hw right and put ok drivers in it , its going to give you what you want.i personally use an old jvc amp ($30 at a thrift store 50 wpc?) via a nice x over, and 2 old school jbl 15s', that amp combined with my h.w. fill a a big L shaped room, a big room probably 6 or 700 sq feet floor plan with enough bass to seriously upset my wife, because the outside of the house is vibrateing and disturbing the neibours! on 50 wpc???? just make sure you build the housewrecker 'to plans' and you will get the insane low end this cab is desighned to do Grin with 2 or 300 wrms, im a little afraid for you, you might be half way through a movie and some subsonic sound will be there, and it will litterally make you, and anyone else watching, jump out of your skin with fear! imagineing that a semi truck just crashed into your house, because thats what its going to sound, and feel like.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/19/06 at 13:07:39

about the power indicators...pa amps have power indicators on the INPUT, because all of them produce max power with 0,775v on the input.
good luck with your project bob, and sorry for bringing up "older" replies. i have a 9 or 10 hrs time offset, so while i'm busy sleeping, you guys are posting a lot  ::)

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/19/06 at 13:15:36

[quote author=60ndown  link=1137542099/15#22 date=1137675318]....... you might be half way through a movie and some subsonic sound will be there, and it will litterally make you, and anyone else watching, jump out of your skin with fear! imagineing that a semi truck just crashed into your house, because thats what its going to sound, and feel like. [/quote]

That is so true! You get good powerful sub sonics going and movies take on a different flavor. Wait til you hear explosions that come in waves, or race cars, or semis that actually shake the room well below hearing ability and it sounds real, instead of like some fluffy bass thing happening over in the corner.

I wouldn't be too concerned with a description on a demo/scratch and dent/showroom/customer return item if the seller is reputable, but usually "new in box" doesn't necessarily mean "factory sealed" anyway. If they use the term "new" I expect a warranty of some sort. "In box" is good, but "in original box" might be better prepared for shipping across the country, again warranty is the question I would want answered up front, before making a decision. No problem either way as long as you know what to expect in advance. At that price it would be difficult for them to offer a warranty on a product that is questionable.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 01/19/06 at 13:24:09

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/19/06 at 13:26:52

Cheesy DONE  :D

Dayton Series II's ordered !

Waiting for Music Supply Center to get back to me about why it's in the scratch and dent bin.

Sunday I'll be at Home Depot buying MDF.

Bob

Just noticed all of the replies you guys made while I was trying to reach my credit limit. Amazing. You've all been VERY helpful. Just about the time I think society is going in the toilet, I find poeple like you. Willing to help a total stranger (idiot) spending your time surfing the net to give me links and advise.

THANK YOU
Bob

« Last Edit: 01/19/06 at 13:39:45 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 01/19/06 at 13:33:33

WTF!
Sorry about that, I thought Gex was the only who had perfected the multiple posting talent. Three for the price of one? Who knows why?

« Last Edit: 01/19/06 at 13:34:31 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 01/19/06 at 13:38:11

DirtDawg, multiple repetative posts just means you really, really, really mean it !
Bob

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 01/19/06 at 14:04:13

Hard to find deals like that in Canada - lots of stuff on EBay, but mostly in the US, so with shipping, the cost increases so much that it's no longer worthwhile.

My crossover is a Behringer DCX 2496, and I use a Behringer DEQ 2496 equalizer.  A nice setup, but I paid an arm and a leg for it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print