Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/19/14 at 19:07:09

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 29310 times)
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #120 - 02/04/06 at 17:27:03

If you wire all the shakers like in diagram to one channel they will each recieve 100 w.  The daytons on the other hand when wired in parrallel would recieve 200 w each.

I would do what sixty said, wire the daytons in parralel bridged to the amp, resulting in 450 w a piece, and then get a seperate amp for the shakers, that one in the PDF is like $100.

That would give you the highest output through the daytons, and you wouldn't have to worry about underpowering anything.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 02/04/06 at 18:52:34

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/105#117 date=1138991580]Or am I stupid?    :'(

Bob [/quote]

You're NOT stupid, Bob.
The way I would do it is shakers in series/parallel like the diagram on one channel. You'll have 400 Watts across them ..... it should be fine.

Daytons in parallel will be 4 ohms and you'll have 400 Watts on those, also. They will not starve.

I have never used shakers myself, since I have plenty of shake coming from my 6 - 15"ers bi-amped in the corner, but I have installed a different model for 2 different friends. The shakers do what they want, without getting serious with sound. One guy uses a primitive plate amp pushing 4 of them and he runs the amp into clipping almost constantly on big impact effects. I can tell that something's not right, with the amp clipping, but it doesn't bother him at all and the shakers, rated at 75W, are still going strong at the rated power and the amp clipping like crazy. You will be fine with 3dB of headroom before clipping.

J_ROCK's idea would be great, also.

« Last Edit: 02/04/06 at 18:54:14 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 02/06/06 at 11:56:08

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with DirtDawgs way for now. Have been on a spending spree recently, and need to chill out. (havn't told you about the Xbox360 that's coming this week). I assume total ohms could be checked with a DVOM after wiring is complete, just before installing wires to amp or receiver? When we talk about a "4 ohm load", is this a measureable number, or is it theoretical?

Is there an industry standard for guage wiring (output side of amp) versus wattage?  Wondering if I've got enough.... Does it hold true for shakers as well? Could 'Romex' (12 - 14 guage household wiring) be used for speakers? I have plenty and wouldn't mind using it for the HWK since it may end up 30 feet from the amp (30 feet in wiring, not as 'the crow flies'.)

Roll of film is finished, need to have developed. Will show you what I did in center chamber for driver bracing. Would also like to show you a picture of my screen wall.

Sorry to hear about your neighbors, 60.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #123 - 02/06/06 at 14:34:46

haveing 900 wrms available for a sub doesnt mean it has to be loud all the time, it means than when a 'demanding' piece is to be played, there is ample headroom to reproduce it effortlessly.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #124 - 02/06/06 at 14:44:33

...... without distortion.

amen

Bob

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #125 - 02/08/06 at 01:27:28

I run 2-dual loaded Hw's with Peavey Black Widows in them. These are used for indoor DJ jobs and I run them on A Peavey 2600 amp 4 ohm bridged. The Compliments never stop and competitors sp-118's cant come close in sound quality. I do have a slight problem though, and it is that i cannot hear when the speakers begin to distort. I'm at the mercy of the speaker God's on this board to tell me if there is a different design (BESIDES A HUMONGUS IMPERIAL) that would serve me better. I await oh mighty ones!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #126 - 02/08/06 at 05:44:03

as far as i know, the closest decware product to the imperial would be the quad loaded hwk-18 (im not the speaker God you may expect to answer...i'm just speaking from what i've read on the forum).

« Last Edit: 02/08/06 at 05:45:32 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #127 - 02/09/06 at 01:04:54

every little bit helps. Has anyone perfected the the scaling for a quad loaded 18" HW?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #128 - 02/09/06 at 05:52:04

i remember someone said he remodeled the hwk18...but the plans contain it scaled, so i guess you could use them...

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #129 - 02/10/06 at 21:26:17

Four days, no response for reply #122?  Must have been reeeaally asinine question I asked??

Bob

« Last Edit: 02/10/06 at 21:27:37 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #130 - 02/10/06 at 22:04:54

Nope, it looks like we all got sidetracked by the HWK vs. IMP thing...

i d k the answer, but do you have pictures?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #131 - 02/10/06 at 22:36:23

Get this quick, Bob!

Nobody wants to make a statement about proper cabling for speakers on a forum! There will be 20 right answers and everyone will argue about who's more right. So, forget it!

With that out of the way, 12 GA Romex will work just fine for your shakers and your HWK. I have used it for years inside boxes and for short runs.

BTW less that 50' is a short run in pro sound, where the bulk of my experience is from. BUT I usually will run a ~100' run of cable for testing, then replace the speaker cable with a short piece and bring the amp over with a 12 GA cable for power. That's one of the things you can get away with when you don't have to live there, too. Smiley

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #132 - 02/10/06 at 22:36:24

Yes, I have pictures.  Need to reinstall scanner software on Dell machine after the catastrophic failure recently (I created trying to install dual monitor output for projector). Also been playing with new Xbox360. I know a lot of you guys are not into gaming, but you should see todays High definition graphics on a 140" widescreen with an optical audio output on 7.1 surround. It'll make you a kid again. (Which is another reason scanner isn't fixed)

Will scan pictures this weekend. May have to post on Monday at work since I still can't post on this website at home.

(Never posted pic before, that'll be a whole new ...  :'( )

Got the shakers, but seating still not here.... Roll Eyes

Bob
Bye all,  have a good weekend. Time to clock out.

« Last Edit: 02/10/06 at 22:57:24 by Bob »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #133 - 02/10/06 at 22:42:42

DirtDawg, .... Understood about the ensuing melee over wire quality... Sorry, .. knew that, .. forgot, seen too many lives lost over that.  :-X

Nice to know I can be a cheep @55 on some cables though.

Thank you
Bob

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #134 - 02/10/06 at 23:12:49

I just think that 12GA Romex will get you 95% of the way to perfection for speaker cables in most cases. To get a couple more % you will need a home improvement loan first. And IF anyone seriously thinks that your fanny can tell the difference between 12GA Romex and the best solid Ag/braided/shielded/WTF fancy cable in your shaker application, just laugh it off and tell the story to your grandkids. Grin

I won't be the first to spill blood over cabling issues!

« Last Edit: 02/10/06 at 23:14:05 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print