Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/23/14 at 11:12:46

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 27748 times)
Bob
Ex Member

Amp to make Dayton's happy
01/17/06 at 22:54:59

Ok, so here's the consensus;

Most of us like the Daytons. OK, now....

How about this,  the Dayton 15" series II for $88 from Parts Express (quantity 2). And then do I buy (1) BASH 500 watt plate amp from PE for $228, or for versatility do I get (2) 250 watt amps for slightly more??

Thanks for entertaining a newbee   Roll Eyes

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #1 - 01/18/06 at 10:51:42

Welcome BOB. I use the plate amps from MCM. The first is the 350w with remote(part# 50-6282) and the 250w(part# 50-6281A) with much success. They both have more than enough power and easy to adjust. Plus sometimes, if you can wait, the 250w sells for $100 and the 350w for $150 if they are "ON SALE". I have used both of these amps with HWK15(2 DAYTON IIs) for about four or five years with no problems. I am sure there are better amps but of course I am on a budget. I would like to try EP1500 or EP2500 from BEHRINGER to run two HWK15s. That would be sweet to try that much power thru the HWK15. Hope the info helps.  

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/18/06 at 12:21:14

Currently $144, and $209 respectively.  Would like to wait till the "sale". But unknown how long that may be. At MCMinone.com, they only show 2 in stock of the 350W amp  :'(.  Still eying the Parts Express plate amps though??

Havn't heard of BEHRINGER. Will search.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/18/06 at 12:25:33

im a big fan of used gear, lots of used amps on e bay? and i would use 1 amp for both drivers, just to eliminate the posibility or mis matched parts / signal? (power amp and stand alone x over?) i wouldnt fit a plate amp to a h.w. the vibration might de solder everything fairly quickly?

« Last Edit: 01/18/06 at 12:27:17 by 60ndown »  
  IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/18/06 at 13:01:25

Good thinking about plate amp destruction.
Will peek at Ebay, but slightly worried about USED. ie..blown amps.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/18/06 at 13:42:26

Did 'advanced search' on Ebay for "sub amp" and excluded the words; car, auto, automotive, mobile. Searched through 221 entries and ALL of them were for cars !!!  >:(

Bob

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/18/06 at 13:44:46

I agree with 60. My plates amps do not sit close to anything that can be vibrated by the HWK15. BEHRINGER is used mostly for pro-audio and DJ equipment. They could be adapt to work HWK15 with the right crossovers and equalizer. Parts Express has the best deal or price as of now but that is still $128 for 250w plate amp. Rythmik Audio also has a plate amp that looks like the Parts Express amp. If you play the 250w amp at moderate to loud volumes with the HWK15(loaded with two DAYTONS) you will need a cooling fan. I notice the BASH amp is located at O Audio web site and it look very interesting but to get to 500w means alot distortion(THD). The THD at 400w with the BASH seems much better power rating vs the 500w rating. Let me know what you find and the kind of budget you can afford.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/18/06 at 13:55:29

well, you might want to try a used pa amp because of at least two reasons : they're EXTREMELY reliable (have lots of protection circuits) and you know when you clip (if you will ever push one that hard). i have a 2*250w pa amp (180$ + 80 $ x-over) and it's more than enough for me. using it with a db10 and a db12 and the power indicators on the amp (showing how much it amplifies) rarely light up during normal listening levels.

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/18/06 at 14:02:17

For amps you might want to check out www.zZounds.com

I picked up a b-stock ep2500 for $200. Works great just had rack rash on it. I use it to run my Imperial. You check under the blowouts section of there website under Live Sound/PA they have quite a few amps for sale there.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/18/06 at 14:36:15

yeah for amps:

www.cheaplights.com (DJ supply kinda place)

www.steelsound.com (live sound stuff.)

http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html  (plate amps and the like.)

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

« Last Edit: 01/18/06 at 14:36:30 by j_rock777 »  
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/18/06 at 14:38:43

Good point about the power indicator Adrian D. I pick up a couple of Velleman mono led power meter kits from Parts Express(part#320-222). These things are cool and work perfect with a subwoofer plate amp. They do not need a power supply and just hook in parallel with mono output of the plate amp. I am unsure of how accurate they are but if your ohms are right I would say they are pretty close. You will be required to do some soldering and know basic electronics. The instructions are easy and if you go with different color leds you can tell the amount power being put out even in a low light room. If you look hard enough you can find them cheaper on the web. Adire Audio has some nice sub amps and you can locate them on the web. Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: 01/18/06 at 15:41:36 by Joe_Eaton »  
  IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/18/06 at 16:05:34

My first HW15 using 2 Dayton series II's was driven by a Keiga KG-5230 plate amp.  Not a bad little unit, but as others have implied, maybe not ideally suited to this application.  Replaced it with a QSC RMX1450, and never looked back.

-Sean

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/18/06 at 20:23:41

You guys are cool !

Some very good ideas there. Interesting though, most recommendations for amps are not what I would call traditional. Lots of "pro" stuff. I, at this point in my DIY speaker building life don't even know enough to be dangerous. I could see myself buying a plate amp, a couple Daytons, some MDF and making a big noisey box. But you folks talking about pa amps, DJ amps, and "non traditional" amps scare the  :o out of me. Not sure if I could wire it. I can solder very well, to answer HT-EXT, but wouldn't have a clue what to do with a HWK, and amp sitting in front of me if the instructions didn't say "install + to + and - to -". Am very willing to learn, have a decent automotive knowledge of wiring, but the advanced crossover / amp / driver wiring may be a cause of a future post or two.  To answer HT-EXT again, I'm looking to spend under $200 for the amp (and crossover if one is needed). The room is 98% for home theater use so looking for a certain amount of overall quality. It sounds like it's possible given the posts read, and dollar amount.

The RythmicAudio 250W amp looks very nice for $100, but will it run the 2 Daytons 15"? The P.E. 250W with remote looks cool for $139. May do a remote mount plate amp, say, in the equipment rack with a cooling fan. So it doesn't get it's brains scrambled.

The power indicator LED's are neat. I always get goosebumps looking at the pretty lights.

The Behringer is currently running $299.99 at zZounds.com. I found some amps in the blowout section, but don't have a clue as to what I'm looking at.

Is an amp an amp? As long as you can plug it into 120V?

May try a pawn shop or two in my area. Sounds like an item a guy could find there. But once again, I feel like a 14 year old little girl in the tool section of Home Depot.  ::)

Bob

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/18/06 at 21:16:20

When going to the pawn shops in your area ask the people at the shop if they have checked the amp out. Alot of the amps that you can buy at pawn shops may have one channel blown.

Basically all you need to test is a source (ie MP3 player) with a 1/8th inch jack (ie regular headphone) jack to a 1/4 inch mono jack. On the output of the amp you can put a speaker and wire + (speaker) to + (amp) and - to -. Do this for both channels on the amp. Make sure the output volume knob is turned to only about 10% or 15%.

When buying an amp always check RMS watts not peak. A good rule of thumb is to always have more power than you need so that you don't clip the amp.

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/18/06 at 21:23:07

I have found my crossovers on eBay. I have two DBX active crossovers. Got a steal on one that came with an amp (QSC USA 850), crossover (DBX 3-way crossover), eq (no name), and road case (SKB) for $100.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print