Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/26/14 at 10:55:51

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fiddling with the tubes (Read 2801 times)
eagle
Ex Member

Fiddling with the tubes
01/17/06 at 22:22:01

Greetings, all.

I have been having a minor problem with my SE84C since I got it.  It just seems the tubes don't set properly, so one of the channels frequently cuts out or produces static.

Some of you may recall my previous post on a similar topic... well, this isn't that problem.  I have checked all of the connections, and I have reseated all of the tubes.  Still, sometimes one of the channels - usually the right channel - cuts out or produces static.

Is there anything I can do to make the connection more solid, so that I don't have these skips or static?

Thanks.

Eagle

IP Logged
MAC -SteveH
Ex Member

Re: Fiddling with the tubes
Reply #1 - 01/17/06 at 22:38:35

Are you sure the tubes are OK?

IP Logged
eagle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/17/06 at 23:00:53

[quote author=MAC -SteveH  link=1137540121/0#1 date=1137537515]Are you sure the tubes are OK? [/quote]
No.  I inquired in an earlier post about how to tell when to change the tubes.  Might this be one way you know to change the tubes?  ???

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/17/06 at 23:08:16

tubes for the C are relatively cheap...not an expensive venture. But I did have a similar problem with my C and turned out Decware replaced a bad cap for me

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/06 at 23:41:31

guys, the eagle is my old college buddy - TIA for helping him out!

:)

IP Logged
proud_indian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/19/06 at 11:29:26

I too have the same problem. It does not have static though. Sometimes the right channel goes off and I have to shut the amp. When I do that, the right channel gives a 'thud' sound. After that I restart and it plays ok. It happens sometimes, but has been there now for about 6 months. Have to open it up and check the tube sockets. I think they could be the cause.

shreekant Smiley

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/19/06 at 14:55:56

I just had a fairly new tube give up.  It had a little static and then the right channel went out.   Embarrassed
Thought something melted down at first, but now is 100% with a new tube.

IP Logged
eagle
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/19/06 at 15:10:27

Funny thing is, mine has been working fine for a couple days now.  Maybe I'll try some new tubes, or open it up and check the connections, if it happens again.

IP Logged
DukeJupiter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/23/06 at 00:07:05

In addition to checking output tubes, there could be a problem with the input tube.  They're dual triodes, so one side can go out.  After flipping the bias switch on the fly (I know, I know), I lost one side and the input tube was the culprit.

Dj

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/23/06 at 01:32:48

[quote author=DukeJupiter  link=1137540121/0#8 date=1137974825] After flipping the bias switch on the fly (I know, I know), I lost one side and the input tube was the culprit. [/quote]

Welcome to the forum DJ. I have flipped that switch only a couple times while hot.  I got a thud in the speakers is all.  I won't do it again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print