Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/24/14 at 17:52:59

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Leaving the backside open (Read 11760 times)
ecflips
Ex Member

Leaving the backside open
01/05/06 at 15:54:54

Hello Everyone, I'm a new post, but I've been reading for a while,  I was wondering if there are any adverse effects of not leaving the backside of the WO32 open.  My problem is that I have hardwood floors in my listening space and if placed on the floor would be extremely leaky vs on carpet. So I was wondering if anyone has:
closed the open side on one, and if so were there any compensations that had to be made.
-or-
should I just get really small carpets to go under the cabinets. and if so does shag or low pile work best.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re: Leaving the backside open
Reply #1 - 01/05/06 at 16:40:03

I think closed up is the best way to go.

I thought that flipping the box over on carpet just made it easier when needed to work on, just flip it over. I think I remember someone saying something about further filtering properties of carpet though.

Completely sealing the top and bottom of the box, wont hurt anything.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/05/06 at 20:19:57

About the Wo32 on carpet
from steve in his write up
It can also be used without the lid by flipping it over on a 1/2 pile carpet with pad.  The floor becomes the lid at that point and seals up the box.  The Q-Loss through the carpeting creates an action similar to a varo-vent allowing the box to breath.  Direct coupling to the floor through carpet raises the efficiency, lowers the cut off frequency, and offers the richest sound.

It will not work well laying open face down on the wood floor unless  you added a thick gasket to the all the panels so it will seal to the floor effectively coupling it directly and making the floor the lid. But in this case you would not get the varo-vent effect.

INMHO

« Last Edit: 01/05/06 at 20:21:07 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/05/06 at 21:23:14

Yeah, I'm dumb.

I remember reading that passage somewhere.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/05/06 at 22:43:45

Jet

I did not mean for my post to come off that way.

Sorry man.  :(

If it came off like you know nothing and I know it all it was never intended that way.
Besides that you know that would not be true anyway.

Us creative types have to stick together and keep the faith Grin

The gexter

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/10/06 at 22:15:39

Oh, no dude. I wasn't offended at all, just admitting defeat, that what I really read (what you posted) was in no way what I was remembering. Just one of those "duh" smack-your-forhead moments.

It's all good man. You'd know 100% if I was offended, as would everyone else on the board, lol.

« Last Edit: 01/10/06 at 22:16:21 by Jet-Lee »  
  IP Logged
Hellion
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/11/06 at 07:02:53

here you go man... just make a top/lid for the box, cover the top/lid with shag carpet, put 3 or four dozen screws in and BAM got yourself the same thing... wonder what would happen if you treated BOTH top and bottom?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/06 at 13:03:18

Hmmm   how do ya figure that?
IMHO of course.

« Last Edit: 01/11/06 at 13:03:45 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/11/06 at 14:39:59

[quote author=gexter  link=1136480094/0#7 date=1136984598]Hmmm   how do ya figure that?
IMHO of course. [/quote]
if you got the tension right on the screws it would kinda be like a varo vent? and both sides is interesting?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/11/06 at 17:09:55

[quote author=60ndown  link=1136480094/0#8 date=1136990399]
if you got the tension right on the screws it would kinda be like a varo vent? and both sides is interesting?
[/quote]

thats all good and a great idea. its just the coupling with the effectively is what I am wondering about.
When the floor is the lid it is more direct

The varo vent part of it seems like a good idea idea and worth a try. Its a look outside the box thinking which is what I like.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/11/06 at 21:09:59

Well, you floor also has padding underneath the carpet.

What if you:

Use some spray adhesive ($5) and stick some padding to your board, then do the same with the carpet. Now lay your board on the ground carpet side up. Lay your box on the carpet as you would in your home. Use some decorative brackets to now secure the box and carpet-board at the correct "tension", which is actually the weight of the box, as it would be in the actual setting.

Flip and repeat, lol.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/11/06 at 22:36:13

Are you guys on kRaK? Smiley
Building a WO32 and making the top and bottom flex in response to internal pressures will create a higher order cabinet with 2 large out of tune passive radiators equalizing most of the pressure the drivers can create.
The response would not follow the original signal's waveform very closely. (Enormous group delay)
The main reason to use the floor instead of ONE side is to better load the floor. Coupling the cabinet to the floor is a tricky process and may not be desirable in all cases.

« Last Edit: 01/11/06 at 22:42:03 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/12/06 at 01:14:06

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1136480094/0#11 date=1137018973]Are you guys on kRaK? Smiley
Building a WO32 and making the top and bottom flex in response to internal pressures will create a higher order cabinet with 2 large out of tune passive radiators equalizing most of the pressure the drivers can create.
The response would not follow the original signal's waveform very closely. (Enormous group delay)
The main reason to use the floor instead of ONE side is to better load the floor. Coupling the cabinet to the floor is a tricky process and may not be desirable in all cases. [/quote]

there is 2 people im not ever gonna argue with, 1 is steve d  the other is you dirt Grin

IP Logged
Hellion
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 02:32:18

okay so it's not a good idea to treat both sides of the box.  And I never meant for the carpeted sides to flex like a passive radiator, I meant to screw the thing on as tight as a normal makita drill would get it.  I was thinking that perhaps the varovent theory was good, and hey, it something makes an improvement, why not DOUBLE the effort?  But really, the whole post wasn't that serious at all, and I didn't think anyone would take it seriously.

And NO, I won't argue with anyone on this forum, that's not what I'm here for.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/12/06 at 04:35:24

Settle down Dirt. Just kidding Dawg, they prolly are on crack.

These guys are talking about making "floors" and attaching them to both top and bottom of the WO.  The simple answer is that the WO works well on plain carpet floor because the floor extends the horn's effective mouth increaseing efficency.  Hence the "coupling effect."

Then the carpet allows some air, very restricted air, to go in and out of the box making it easier for the woofer to move the air masses, yet keeping the movement under control.

If you simply attach "floors" (wood, padding, then carpet) to the WO32, you get no coupling effect and alot more air moving in and out, decrease the woofers ability to pressurize anything and hold its course(play music). In essence moving the woofer from a sealed, controlled enviroment to a unrestricted Free Air enviroment.  

SO no benefit that I can think of, although one side with a floor and perhaps a floor with a 3/4 in deep cutout would allow the wo to "couple" with the floor and maintain a similar "varo vent."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print