Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/29/14 at 21:13:27

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passive level control with Zen Triode? (Read 1427 times)
BWR
Ex Member

Passive level control with Zen Triode?
12/30/05 at 14:53:04

I need level control moved upstream in the chain so that it's before my bass management controller. Has anyone had any experience using a passive control with the Zen?

IP Logged
BWR
Ex Member

Re: Passive level control with Zen Triode?
Reply #1 - 01/09/06 at 03:51:14

I have installed an NHT Passive Volume Control between the CD player and the M&K BMC Mini which then feeds the Zen above 80 Hz and the M&K subwoofer below 80 Hz.

From just a couple hours of listening today, I can say that the NHT is more transparent than the NAD C320BEE being used as a preamp. I'm able to set the Zen's level control at zero dB and still get a nice range of control from the NHT PVC.

I was hoping that there would be enough room in the NHT box to mod it for source selection, but I think it's too small. The PVC is balanced, so the pot and the XLR and TRS connectors take up most of the box.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/06 at 04:31:47

I use a passive with my 2 Zenīs(running mono)and Iīm never going back to active Wink Maybe Roll Eyes But you really need to think about buffering the CD from the Zen inputīs. If you run a cd directly into the Zen even through a pot it puts a lot of strain on the cdīs OP. The Cd likes to see a high OHM load to run into that make driving of the output amps on the cd do less work. The power amp ,that would be the Zen, Likes the least resistance of the signal coming into it. Hence the need for a buffer in between source and amp, like a Zbox or in my case a MF10d tube buffer. There are a lot of chip buffers out there but if you can use tubes then why bother Smiley But then Maybe youre pvc has some kind of buffer?

« Last Edit: 01/09/06 at 04:33:32 by Rap »  
  IP Logged
BWR
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/09/06 at 17:00:57

The NHT PVC is passive, so there is no buffering. I'm not a fan of resistor based passive attenuators, which the PVC definitely is, but for my office system it was a cost effective compromise.

The M&K BMC Mini bass management controller is active and should provide the buffering you're talking about. The signal chain is: CD -> PVC -> BMC -> Zen.

« Last Edit: 01/09/06 at 17:02:17 by BWR »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print