Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/30/14 at 09:14:53

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the gain of the Zen Triode? (Read 1299 times)
BWR
Ex Member

What is the gain of the Zen Triode?
12/30/05 at 14:50:21

Just curious.

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Re: What is the gain of the Zen Triode?
Reply #1 - 01/04/06 at 03:16:26

Hello BWR,

Don't know why anyone hasn't  answered this yet, but I'll give it a shot.

please understand that I'm a newbie so this may be wrong, so I'm open to correction. So here goes

As I understand it, the gain of anything is 20log voltage out/ voltage in. So to figure the gain, we need to figure the voltage across the secondary of the output tranny with a known input voltage. Steve lists the output power at 2 watts into 8 ohms with a 2 volt input. We know that P= E x I, and E= I x R, so a littlle   Cheesy  configuring   Cheesy  gives us  E=  square root of ( PR ). Substituting known values  gives us a voltage across the output tranny of 4 with an input of 2 volts. Substituting into the gain equation yields 20 log(4/2), or a gain of 6.02db.

I think I've got it right, but again guys, if not, please correct.

Bill

« Last Edit: 01/04/06 at 03:18:39 by Crazy Bill the Eel Killer »  
  IP Logged
BWR
Ex Member

Re: What is the gain of the Zen Triode?
Reply #2 - 01/04/06 at 03:44:55

[quote author=crazy bill the eel killer  link=1135957821/0#1 date=1136344586]Hello BWR,

Don't know why anyone hasn't  answered this yet, but I'll give it a shot.

please understand that I'm a newbie so this may be wrong, so I'm open to correction. So here goes

As I understand it, the gain of anything is 20log voltage out/ voltage in. So to figure the gain, we need to figure the voltage across the secondary of the output tranny with a known input voltage. Steve lists the output power at 2 watts into 8 ohms with a 2 volt input. We know that P= E x I, and E= I x R, so a littlle   :D  configuring   :D  gives us  E=  square root of ( PR ). Substituting known values  gives us a voltage across the output tranny of 4 with an input of 2 volts. Substituting into the gain equation yields 20 log(4/2), or a gain of 6.02db.

I think I've got it right, but again guys, if not, please correct.

Bill [/quote]

Thanks Bill. Your calculation looks correct to me. The gain is the ratio of Vout to Vin as you stated. I didn't know the input sensitivity when I posted the question.

-- Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print