11/26/14 at 07:56:25

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to start? (Read 1470 times)
chrisp
Ex Member

Where to start?
12/29/05 at 22:43:12

I am new to serious audio systems, so please bear with me.  I want to set up as simple a system as possible with an SE84C amp.  Do I need any additional pre-amps or equipment other than speakers, CD, and turntable?

Also, what is anyone's recommendation for a good reference to start learning about audio?

Thanks - I appreciate the help.

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Re: Where to start?
Reply #1 - 12/29/05 at 23:33:02

Welcome to the forum.  You have made a good first start.

You will not need a preamp with the Zen C amp.  Efficient speakers and a source (turntable, CD) is all that is needed.  A list is available on this site of speakers that are recommended.  Some kind of preamp is necessary for a turntable. Some TTs have built-in preamps but many do not.  The choices available for a phono preamp is staggering.  

A CD is the best way to start with a stereo system.  As your knowledge and appreciation of quality music grows you may decide to expand on the source material.  A source (CD), an amp (Zen C), and efficient speakers and you are off to audiophile nirvanna.

Perhaps the best place to learn about quality audio is right here on this web site.  Start be reading the articles written by Steve Deckart and go from there.  Read the questions and answers on the forums both current and archived as many of the basic and advanced topics have been discussed at length.

IP Logged
SaminUSA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/29/05 at 23:48:31

Steve recommends an SE84C and a pair of Decware DM944s  :)

IP Logged
DrN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/30/05 at 00:04:32

If your going run a Turntable your going to need a Pre.

OH, and don't listen to us. We'll be making your wallet lighter.

If you need tubes, Sammy here has half of the free worlds supply
of Russian Military treasures.
Angry

Den

« Last Edit: 12/30/05 at 00:09:14 by DrN »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print