Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 17:48:07

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does anyone have the MG944s (Read 8481 times)
Gary_H.
Ex Member

Re: Does anyone have the MG944s
Reply #15 - 03/15/06 at 14:12:35

Thanks guys,

Nonoise, I will email you my address.

Thanks, Gary

IP Logged
storms_echo
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/21/06 at 19:42:18

Speakers arrived,  I will echo the sentiments of others, the build quality is excellent.  Out of the box, I was immediately impressed with the sound quality compared to modified DCM speakers.   The DCM's sounded compressed compared to the MG944's.   The DCM's have very good drivers scan speaker 9300 tweeter and a focal mid bass.  The Decware speakers are very open.  I have been playing them all weekend with the sat dish as well as my cd jukebox.  The speakers really really shine on complex music for instance I switched to the xm cinemagic station and I really felt like I was in the movie theater.   The tune was a John Williams tune (the movie escapes me).    I can't believe these will improve with age.  This being said the speakers are hooked up to a SS system with very cheap speaker wire, a prologic preamp bypassing the prologic circuitry, and a b&k av5000 surround amp.  
I will then move the speakers to the basement (if my wife lets me) and test them on my tube/analog system.  

Has anyone placed cones in the 4 pre-drilled holes in the legs/base?  I would assume that this would issolate the speaker further and would improve sound particularly the bass.

Randal

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/22/06 at 04:11:08

Randal,

Glad you like the "MG's", but trust me they do break-in and open up even more. If you were to go back to out of the box condition in a month or so you'd probably think they sounded a little constipated (a visitor to my house said his speakers sounded constipated compared to the MG's) they will open up even more.

With the spikes you can adjust the bass a little or slightly tilt the speakers forward or back depending on how nearfield or farfield you listen. You don't want the cone type spikes, just 1/4"X20 threaded spikes. Don't elevate the speakers high enough to make it look like they aren't touching the floor, this would be to high and the bass will suffer somewhat.

Welcome to the forum,

BobZ

IP Logged
nonoise
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/27/06 at 01:12:37

Randal:

Good to hear of another convert to the MG944s. They will continue to amaze you as time goes by. Mine are still opening up and getting better all the time. I just listened to all of Bill Frisell's "East/West" and only intended to listen to a few cuts. That's how intoxicating these are with the right recording. Bill's an eclectic jazz guitarist and this is a live recording that the MGs make so sublime to listen to.

Enjoy!
nonoise

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/27/06 at 02:18:42

Anybody have a picture of the MG's setup in their home? I would love to see.

IP Logged
nonoise
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/09/06 at 00:32:34

Just thought I'd post some revelations on the MG944s. In the last week they really opened up. Totally evolved speaker than what I started with. Highs have that leading edge resolution of the R1.5s that weren't quite there to begin with; a major step (to me). Not pronounced, but more detailed and natural, with better decay. The same goes for the mids: more resolving and spread out, letting me hear deeper into the recording. The voicing is even better than when I first got them. I know that some will say that this is to be expected, but there were gradual steps up in performance and this last one was a giant step. Unexpected. The bass is more tuneful and resolves detail in like manner. Still, there is  no one part of the freqeuncy spectrum that dominates. This is one smooth speaker that continues to sound so natural and relaxed that it is, at first blush, deceiving to a casual listener. I'm still not used to it and sometimes wonder if my hearing or perception is shot. Maybe its the symbiotic realtionship (synergy is so overused) that these speakers have with my equipment, or it could be that these would have the same results with anything behind them. I can't say. I'm just so damn happy.

IP Logged
storms_echo
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/14/06 at 03:17:03

I have given the speakers some good break in time and they are incredible speakers!!  They are very revealing and extremely smooth from top to bottom of the frequency range.  For instance I can hear the actual production characteristics of the venue from a Cowboy Junkies CD that was made in the late 80's early 90's.  I have used both cheap and quality Zenstyx wire.   I have used a quality modded tube amp and a home theater amp.   A 400 disk  Sony cd player, DTV, and a first generation Sony dvd player  are my front end test equipment, (certainly not audiophile equipment) and the result is the same the speakers bring out the best music has to offer.  I just love these speakers.  I highly highly recommend these speakers...    

I put a small scuff in the black finish.. Shocked
What "brand" of  black finish should be applied to cover this.  Thanks...

Randal

IP Logged
naked-elephant
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/08/06 at 23:24:04

Hi Guys
i posted previously about my interest in hearing the RL-3s or the HDT Mk-IIs in Colorado.  I read in one of the threads, (sorry, can't remember which) that one of you happy MG owners prefered the MG to the Radials and the HDT's.  The greater low end extension of the MG's is very appealing, as is the lower price.  Anyone care to comment on the "heretical" in house speaker comparison?  I would love to hear any of the Decware speakers!
Thanks
Mitch

IP Logged
nonoise
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/05/06 at 03:30:10

Hey guys:

Me again, with the same news as before. The MGs are doing it again. They took another big leap in opening up. More resolving, better layering, more dynamic. Not at all the same speaker I started with. I think its messing with me as I was looking into the Bastani Prometheus II at another site and it sucker-punched me. Out of nowhere. I just put on Paris Combo's 'Motiffs' and sat glued to the couch, unable to move, picking up my jaw every now and then (I've had this for over a year and thought I heard all there was to it).
Bob, you told me they will improve even after 1,000 hours (?) and it scares me to think how much they will improve by then. These things should ship with a warning.

Happy 4th everone!
Nonoise

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print