upgrading my SE84CSEX (Read 6386 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: upgrading my SE84CSEX
Reply #15 - 12/19/05 at 15:01:59

Bill,

Simply put you never hear the fidelity of a given system rise past it's weakest link.

Zen amps are so transparent that you will hear large differences in cables - well beyond the norm.  

We manufacture cables that allow you to hear how good the amps actually are.  Both the interconnects and speaker cables are comparable to retail products in the 4 digit price range, but of course are sold at what they actually cost to make.  Again our perspective is that we want you to hear how good our amps actually are and know your not likely to spend the 2 grand or more on cables to find out.

My suggestion is start with interconnects, buy the DSRII's on the 30 day trial and find out for yourself.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/20/05 at 09:09:19

Bill,

Don't be in such a hurry to bypass the voltage gain triode's cathode resistor.  The local current NFB linearizes the block.  If a little more gain from the voltage amplifier is something you're looking for, consider using the 5965 instead of the 6922.  The 5965 is a NICE tube, with a mu of 44.

Also, there are 'lytics and there are 'lytics.  Gordon Rankin uses non-polar Black Gates as cathode resistor bypasses.  'Nuf said.

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/20/05 at 12:40:21

Hello Eli,

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan to do anything hasty. The cathode bypass cap experiment will be just that, and the final arbiter will be my ears. You are of course completely correct about the Black Gates. I've never heard an A/B done against anything else, but the manufacturers who use them in their products is enough of an endorsement for me. I've been trying to read a lot about capacitors and the details of their construction, and I think that generally, properly constructed and implemented film/foil or paper/oil, should outperform any electrolytic. But the proof's in the pudding, so they say, so the only real way to tell is to implement and listen. I would love to conduct such a test(Black Gates/PIO), but the cost of those items, and the fact that I may like the sound better w/o them, keeps that off my wish list.

As far as the gain of the first stage is concerned, I don't necessarily need to increase it. I've changed my tube compliment, and I'm now using a Valve Art 274b rectifier. I did have an issue w/ a few sources and gain, but it's gone now that I'm using that rectifier. Don't know why that should be. I should probably look at the spec sheets and see if maybe the voltage drop across the 274b is less than the Ruby. Maybe I'm juicing the amp a little higher. I know I like the way it sounds with the VA274b WAY BETTER.

I'm doing this project piecemeal so I can listen after each step. I don't want to change the values of any component, so that the changes(if any) that I hear are strictly due to the nature of each component. Its a learning curve for me. I like the way Steve voiced this amp, but the only way I'm going to learn is to play.

Any advice you throw my way is of course much appreciated.

thanks,  Bill     Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print