09/19/14 at 08:59:17

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
blown opt? (Read 1741 times)
cyclops
Ex Member

blown opt?
12/07/05 at 23:41:58

It finally happened. I have been running my zen for a year now and keeping my 19 month old away from it at times.  The little turd finally pulled a speaker cable off a speaker. I got the amp turned off right away. I am still getting music out of that channel but there is some crackling going on and a tiny bit of distortion. There is definetly something wrong. I opened it up and can't find any visual signs of anything happening. I am guessing it is the opt but not totally sure due to lack of knowledge. Any thoughts would be appreciated

IP Logged
Obi-Vaughn Kentubi
Ex Member

Re: blown opt?
Reply #1 - 12/08/05 at 00:56:46

Sounds like it could be an OPT to me. But, most of the time they'll oscillate and squeal as well. But not always.

Eddie Sad

IP Logged
cyclops
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/08/05 at 01:23:21

Thanks eddie, I would say oscilating describes it. Can I still listen to it or will it get worse and cause damage? At this point it isn't super bad. With no signal you can hear it crackling and at low listening volumes its barely noticable except in the high highs. Maybe this is a good excuse for me to get the ex mod, huh? Cup is half full (keep repeating). I will have to call decware tommorow and check prices.

IP Logged
Obi-Vaughn Kentubi
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/08/05 at 02:31:49

I wouldn't listen to it. Steve will do you right on a set of EX transformers (blue bobbin) if you wanna go that route, or on a replacement red bobbin trafo like the ones you have.

Eddie Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print