Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/26/14 at 00:58:51

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Template for drilling HDT ovals (Read 5344 times)
2Sounz
Ex Member

Re: Template for drilling HDT ovals
Reply #15 - 11/04/05 at 02:32:26

OK...

I think PDF is still probably the most accurate way of printing this file with a chance of maintaining scale.  If you cannot get the dimensions right when printing then I suggest perhaps taking it to a photocopier and use the zoom +/- until you get the right size.

In any case, I have redone the template with the following changes:

1. Added more "holes" so the spacing would be closer and thus easier to knock out with a hammer (as per Ziggy's suggestion, although I was able to knock them out ok as per my original template with a couple of extra good hits).
2. Added some better instructions on the page and shortened the lengths of the radial lines in case the ones off the page might have been interfering with print scales.
3. Created a .PNG graphic file which you can use to import the graphic and manually rescale it's size until it prints out correctly on your system.

You will find the new docs here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rsolda/Audio/HDT/Templates/HDT_Oval_Template_4.pdf

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rsolda/Audio/HDT/Templates/HDT_Oval_Template_4.png

Hope this works out better.
(Ziggy, if you wouldn't mind checking these out too !)

Rick
Kiss

PS
As for the idea of just cutting out the oval smooth with a jigsaw... well, IMHO, so much time and care has been spent in designing this amazing cabinet, that I think it is worth the little extra time and effort necessary to build it accordingly. In the end if the product delivers what it promises, it was worth it. !  ;D

IP Logged
Jason_S
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/04/05 at 06:39:06

When you're set up for production and doing dozens of them, drilling and smashing is undoutably faster.
A lot of DIY types tend to favor the 'slower' hand tools more.
My point wasn't to justify using a jigsaw, it was to help draw the flippin line...

The means to the end is here is to get a oval shaped hole through the partition.  I don't think smooth vs rough edges make a significant difference, but of course it always nice to have a justifiable reason for the way something is done.

???

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/04/05 at 12:33:40

You are right of course Jason, not to take any thing for granted Smiley But drilling the holes is a slower labor than just drilling one hole and then cutting out with the jigsaw, so its not about being quick and dirty. Im sure that the difference is not massive in sound but a good enclosure is made up of lots of little tweaks that put together make for the overall  sound. You can eat an elephant by nibbling away one peace at a time and ruin a good enclosure by cutting corners Wink

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/04/05 at 14:49:21

MMMMMMMmmm roasted elephant.

I like my table saw for the big stuff but I feel that the more I can do by hand is (soothing, relaxing,)
I know it sounds weird but I feel connected to the work.
I still use a handsaw over my 12" chopsaw when I have the time.
I love to sand and shape by hand.
I like speakers and all that but making them does far more for me.  

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/04/05 at 17:56:47

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1130981033/0#14 date=1131063794]Is there a "Touche" smiley? Tongue So true, but what's a/an SLO? I don't think I want one. [/quote]

Sorry  SLO=speaker like object

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print