Send Topic Print
IMPERIAL SO PLANS (Read 12424 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

IMPERIAL SO PLANS
10/27/05 at 20:57:47

The Imperial SO (Sub Only) plans are nearing completion.  I should have them available on the site within a weeks time if all goes well.  I have also been modeling various drivers that should work well in this design.  Those will be posted here as well as be included in the plans.

WWW   IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: IMPERIAL SO PLANS
Reply #1 - 10/27/05 at 22:03:51

The Imp SO revealed!

thanks Steve

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/05 at 22:27:18

Looks massive! what kind of room-size are we talking about?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/28/05 at 01:40:15

What's the football shape near the end of the slot all about?  ???

I like to see a healthy use of bracing in a sub cab. Cheesy

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/05 at 01:48:14

It looks like the football shape is to allow the panel to fit over the driver???.Can you hear the collective gears a grinding Cheesy Cheesy The iotside diamensions look very similar to the regular Imperial

« Last Edit: 10/28/05 at 01:50:45 by bnew63 »  
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/05 at 02:04:06

[quote author=Hrappur  link=1130446667/0#2 date=1130448438]Looks massive! what kind of room-size are we talking about? [/quote]

If you're wondering if your room will be big enough, then it's probably not. Grin

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/28/05 at 02:37:23

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1130446667/0#0 date=1130443067]The Imperial SO (Sub Only) plans are nearing completion.  I should have them available on the site within a weeks time if all goes well.  I have also been modeling various drivers that should work well in this design.  Those will be posted here as well as be included in the plans.

[/quote]

I am still interested to no end about the type of driver, Just want to see how close I was.

The best part of all this is we can all stop guessing and stop the fallout from the speculation.

Live and learn

Gex

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/28/05 at 16:31:40

sweet manna from the Gods!

i am enthralled by the beauty of the beast... nay, i am in fear.  This is without a doubt the most serious bass maker I have ever seen, short of adire audio's experimental parthenon driver, but thats in a class by itself i think (120db@7((yes seven))hz OB!).

oh if only i had a garage, or somewhere to put them once i was finished... Sad

Steve is such a nice guy for posting those preliminary plans for us fanboys, that sort of thing ensures brand loyalty, at least for me anyways.

Thanks Steve

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/05 at 16:40:07

after gazing for awhile, it looks to me that the sealed chamber behind the driver is surrounded by dead space, does this mean that one could adjust the volume of that space to accomodate different drivers?  That would make this enclosure very adaptable to almost any driver.  I see why Steve said that this might fly in the face of conventional design, i could experiment with this thing for years...

Steve, could this be revised to accomodate a set of four 10" drivers? it would probably result in an increase in SQ since the motors wouldnt have to work so hard to move that big cone AND the horn too.  Four motors are better than one, right?  just a little brainstorm.

how many sheets are we talking about here, looks like about 5 apiece, this is something i would build in i think.  someone here ordered ziggy Imps, i wonder what the shipping difference would be?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 10/28/05 at 17:50:48

The football shape exists for proper clearance at the top edge of the woofer.  It also acts as a pre-compression chamber that sets the stage for a good launch of pressure towards the throat of the horn.  I could have built the cabinet to where the woofer wouldn't have had clearance issues, but my main concern was balancing and controlling the pressures in front of the cone.

Using anything other then the single 15 inch driver would require a complete re-design of this removable front section and likely create significantly more problems then anything else.

WWW   IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/05 at 21:31:03

#^*+*!  .........darling..........do you mind if i build a new subwoofer?.... shes gonna kill me............... Roll Eyes Grin Cry

« Last Edit: 10/30/05 at 21:31:36 by 60ndown »  
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/30/05 at 22:55:53

I hear ya and I am not even going to try to build one. unless like I said before, my exsiting concept could morph into one in stages.
The word driver or speaker are verbotten at the moment.

Because I don't want to upset the cart before the WO32 plans arrive.

Gex

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/10/05 at 01:55:14

Great stuff.  Thanks for the design Steve.  :)

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/11/05 at 16:04:10

What exactly makes it a sub-only, could I not use a single 15" coaxial driver to cover the full range?

Dave

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/11/05 at 19:03:21

Dave

the cabinet itself is designed to cut out high frequency reproduction in the horn.  The horn itself is a hard thing for the driver to load, so a coax would likely be a waste of time, especially when you consider the amount of air redirected by the front panel, at best it would be very beamy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print